Styles of Roleplay

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Archaaz, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    I am curious as to definitions and styles of RP. Though I do consider myself a RPer, though I seem favor a certain style over others. I am wondering if any others share this style. I realize that in SotA the players are supposed to play a version of themselves. I would like to disregard that for a moment, and focusing on RP in general. I have played PnP when I was younger, and more recently participated in foru RPer. My style for each is a bit different than got MMOs(though I was also usually the GM). For the purpose of this post I will limit my description to my style of RPing in MMOs.

I tend refer to my style with words like casual and reactive. My typical approach is to familiarize myself with the lore and to create a character that fits within that lore. I do not create characters that fall outside of the lore, for example vampires where no such option exists, and esp. if such a creature plays no part in the world. I also write the occasional fantasy tale or forum RP, and usually get a certain feel for a character. I know the character's look, profession, basic personality, goals, likes/dislikes, hated monster types, etc. I do not typically delve too far into a back story, but rather, beyond a few cursory details, allow the back story to develop as I play (and even then it is more through quirks and such).

By reactive, I mean I typically just go along with whatever is happening in the game. If there is some sort of story line, I go with that. For example, in WoW, I simply RPed whatever was happening in the quest(s). In a more sandbox-oriented environment, I tend to RP whatever my character is doing; if I am a ranger gathering wood, or patrolling the forest for enemies (hunting), then that is what I am doing. If my party is attacked by something, then I RP that. I never embellish or make things up. If resurrection after death is a game mechanic, and permadeath is not, I simple incorporate that into my RP.

By casual, I mean that I typically try to stay in character, though will occasionally break if necessary, for example if I am dealing entirely with non-RPers (though I try to get right back into it). I suppose casual could also refer to my not developing a deep back story, and just sort of playing my character's personality. I also tend to play lighthearted characters.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I tend to be put off by planned RP (esp. if it is scripted and/or GM lead), which always comes off, to me, as rather forced and artificial. I have tried some more involved RP on some private shards and in WoW, and it just isn't my thing.

I have been reading more about the game and watching some videos, and, although I was hoping in the beginning for something closer to UO2 (though I am by no means a PK, or even PvPer for that matter), I am starting to see some interesting possibilities here, esp. for RP. While I had initially poopooed the notion, I think an overarching, but somewhat general story line might provide a sort of framework for my style.

I, of course, mean no offense. All play styles RP and otherwise are valid. I am merely curious if anyone follows this particular approach, something like it, or perhaps some other style entirely, as well as in any general thoughts on the issue. Would the majority even consider this RPing? I have met maybe one or two in my early UO days, and we just sort of played off of one another.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Arthur Glendale

Arthur Glendale Avatar

Though I, similarly, wouldn't consider myself as having been 'involved' enough in the (ambiguous) offical/unoffical RP circles across all of the varying mediums out there; speaking from personal opinion and interpretation of 'roleplaying', I laud your approach with approval and empathy

In fact, I don't think I could have stated better myself the behaviours and guidelines which you put forth here! In RP environments I've always found to play the benign, or 'reactive' style allowed for a much greater sense of immersion in the world around and afforded wonderfully rich synergy with other characters who did not attempt to force themselves into the game world and lore. (particularly won a laugh out of me being reminded of the 'vampire' reveals that I encountered in my WoW days)

The only item I cannot relate to, alas, is that of GM/official events, as I've never had the opportunity to partake in such a thing. I would go on good optimism that there would be room for such things to be done "right", if delivered tastefully and having a place for this aformentioned 'style' - but I speak in idealism only.

As such I'm glad (perhaps mutually) that I am not the only one who sees things this way; and whilst I likewise will not be too busy pre-planning a character without having gotten a taste of what SotA is all about (or needing to get up to speed on the flavour of the Ultima games in general) - it was a pleasure to read this, and I hope it gets others speaking up as well!

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

RP is unique as every individual as such styles can vary. I think the core of RP is simple reacting to the world as your character might do so. This is the easiest and most approachable way to handle RPing. There are those that take this more seriously and think there is a right way or a wrong way RP, but this tends to drive most people further away from RP than towards it. Elitism is never a good way to make friends. :)

I think I am similarly aligned. When I create a character I usually think about personality traits with a backstory to match the world. I tend to enjoy developing character flaws more so that anything else, which I think leads to more interesting character: both to play and experience. You then only need to RP the moments and can better react to things that happen in game. Having played a lot of NWN I also have experience with a lot of DM events, and I think they can be successful and fun. In my experience the forced RP tends to resolve around people planning the future stories of their characters, or trying to make their stories so involved to impress others. These things can end up seeming shallow to anyone but yourself.

I think RP is at its best when simple developer your character to where he/she and take the punches as they come. Having aspirations is not a bad thing, but taking it too far has that feeling of it being fake. In my opinion, the more natural your RP is to the world and your character the rest just come naturally.

I am very interested in seeing how RP develops in SOTA. Free free to check out the SOTA RP Community for other people interested in the RP aspects of SOTA.

4. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I would argue that there are 'wrong ways' to RP, but hear me out before you call me elitist! ;)

What I would consider 'wrong' is not in a person's level of immersion in their character (whether you want to RP casually, whether you go all out for the fully-imagined backstory and stay in character all the time, or anywhere in between), but in the manner of interaction with other roleplayers.

What I mean by that is things like forceplay (taking an action for another character, or trying to make them react in a specific way to your own character's actions), metagaming (using knowledge that your character should not have, simply because you as the player know it), or godmoding (making your character all-powerful, all-knowing, or some other vision of perfection that can do anything and save the world (or destroy it) single-handedly). These are all things that can spoil other people's fun, and in my opinion should be avoided as much as possible unless it's something agreed on by everyone taking part (staging a fight, for example, and ensuring a certain character loses).

Other than that, I think that whatever style of roleplay a person is most comfortable with is usually fine!

I tend to vary a bit in character-creation myself; I've had some characters where I have a complete backstory and family history before I even start RPing in a game (or on a forum - I do both), and others where I just have a general idea of the type of personality I want to play and I let everything else develop through interaction with other roleplayers. I sometimes find that even if I do have a firm idea of a character's personality, it can change as I RP them and they don't turn out quite how I'd imagined them at the start. :) That's when I tell myself it must be because they're trying to tell me I'm playing them wrong...

But yes, definitely not being too set on what you want to 'do' with your character, to allow you to go with the flow and interact more naturally with other roleplayers, is important. And if there is a particular bit of backstory that you want to be revealed somehow, you can always discuss it OOC with other players and find a way to do so without it feeling forced.

Lastly, on the subject of planned RP - it can be awesome if done well, or feel forced and restrictive if not. A lot depends on the people involved and how strict they are with what they have planned, and whether they're willing to 'rewrite' on the fly if things go in a totally different direction than they hoped. In most cases, communication is very important both to set expectations and to deal with any unexpected occurrences. I've been involved in some very rewarding and emotional 'set pieces' in the past that were well planned and executed, but I've also been part of scenes where some players were insistent that things must happen this way or else. In general, if a person is overly concerned about someone else 'messing up' their big scene by doing something unexpected, that person might be better off writing a story for a forum instead of playing it out with other people. :)

Sendra, crossbowsoda, Archaaz and 6 others like this.
  5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I agree completely. We used to have players in NWN do things like this use exploits to enforce their RP on others. One of my golden rules is that RP is just as much for other's people's enjoyment as your own. If you are only looking out for yourself then your RP will not always be accepted or appreciated by others. I had many characters that were well regarded by friends and enemies by following this rule, and there is no feeling like having one of your past characters being remembered years later because others had so much fun interacting with you as them. :)

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In Game RP Made Easy ... otherwise known as,
    "The Old English Furniture Polish Method"
    Read one of Shakespeare's stories written in Old English. Then dazzle your friends while'st insisting to speak to them only in this very strange backward sentenced language. This will not only amaze your friends with your newly acquired RP talents, but cause them to believe that you are much more intelligent than you actually are o_O This is because Old Shakespearian English sentences all sounds like some sort of riddle you said for your audience to try and figure out o_O
    Next you will find by using this method that sudden bursts of true seeming wisdom will surprisingly come spurting out of your mouth because of it's reversed profoundness. If and when this happens you should never panic but above all else just shut up and let the moment linger because anything you say from then on will only destroy their falsely earned respect for you o_O
    As time goes on you will also find that the art of typing in Old English will begin to cause your real life speech and thought patterns to slowly become effected by your new RP talents. You will know this effect has begun to occur when everyone in real life begins tilting their heads and wondering when was the last time you had taken a trip to England. When such a thing as this happens in the game, again, just stay calm and if they ask about it, just reply ..."Never more and adieu" ;)
    ~Time Lord:rolleyes:

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Hahah Time Lord.

I don't know if any of you have seen the new BBC adaptation of Shakespeare's plays Richard II, Henry IV Pts 1 & 2 and Henry V "The Hollow Crown".

Anyhow it's like 8 hours all presented in Elizabethan English, which is actually considered Early Modern English, btw.

After watching that you literally do start to talk like that in your head. I had dreams in that Elizabethan English lol.

It's a much nicer sounding way of talking to my ears than today, which is much more straightforward and blunt.

Elizabethan English, or Early Modern English:

SAMPSON
    Gregory, on my word, we’ll not carry coals.
    GREGORY
    No, for then we should be colliers.
    SAMPSON
    I mean, an we be in choler, we’ll draw.

Modern English :

SAMPSON
    Gregory, I swear, we can’t let them humiliate us. We won’t take their garbage.
    GREGORY
    (teasing SAMPSON) No, because then we’d be garbagemen.
    SAMPSON
    What I mean is, if they make us angry we’ll pull out our swords.

Middle English is before Elizabethan English and looks like this :

Of hem that writen ous tofore
    The bokes duelle, and we therfore
    Ben tawht of that was write tho:
    Forthi good is that we also
    In oure tyme among ous hiere
    Do wryte of newe som matiere,
    Essampled of these olde wyse
    So that it myhte in such a wyse,
    Whan we ben dede and elleswhere,
    Beleve to the worldes eere
    In tyme comende after this.
    Bot for men sein, and soth it is,
    That who that al of wisdom writ
    It dulleth ofte a mannes wit
    To him that schal it aldai rede,
    For thilke cause, if that ye rede,
    I wolde go the middel weie
    And wryte a bok betwen the tweie,
    Somwhat of lust, somewhat of lore,
    That of the lasse or of the more
    Som man mai lyke of that I wryte:

Translation:

Of those who wrote before our lives
    Their precious legacy survives;
    From what was written then, we learn,
    And so it’s well that we in turn,
    In our allotted time on earth
    Do write anew some things of worth,
    Like those we from these sages cite,
    So that such in like manner might,
    When we have left this mortal sphere,
    Remain for all the world to hear
    In ages following our own.
    But it is so that men are prone
    To say that when one only reads
    Of wisdom all day long, one breeds
    A paucity of wit, and so
    If you agree I’ll choose to go
    Along a kind of middle ground
    Sometimes I’ll write of things profound,
    And sometimes for amusement’s sake
    A lighter path of pleasure take
    So all can something pleasing find.

and before that Old English, which is really completely not understandable, looks like this :

Hwæt! wē Gār-Dena in ġeār-dagum,
    þēod-cyninga, þrym ġefrūnon,
    hū ðā æþelingas ellen fremedon.
    Oft Scyld Scēfing sceaþena þrēatum,
    monegum mǣġþum, meodosetla oftēah,
    egsode eorlas. Syððan ǣrest wearð
    fēasceaft funden, hē þæs frōfre ġebād,
    wēox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þāh,
    oðþæt him ǣġhwylc þāra ymbsittendra
    ofer hronrāde hȳran scolde,
    gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs gōd cyning!

Translation :

What! We of Gare-Danes (lit. Spear-Danes) in yore-days,
    of thede(nation/people)-kings, did thrum (glory) frayne (learn about by asking),
    how those athelings (noblemen) did ellen (fortitude/courage/zeal) freme (promote).
    Oft did Scyld Scefing of scather threats (troops),
    of many maegths (clans; cf. Irish cognate Mac-), of mead-settees atee (deprive),
    (induce loathing in, terrify; related to "ugly") earls. Sith (since, as of when) erst (first) [he] worthed (became)
    [in] fewship (destitute) found, he of this frover (comfort) abode,
    [and] waxed under welkin (firmament/clouds), [and amid] worthmint (honour/worship) threed (throve/prospered)
    that (until that) him each of those umsitters (those "sitting" or dwelling roundabout)
    over whale-road (kenning for "sea") hear should,
    [and] yeme (heed/obedience; related to "gormless") yield. That was [a] good king!

So Yeah. Old English really bares little resemblance to English today ...

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:"The Deadly Weapons of RP!":confused:[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    “Thou subtle, perjur’d, false, disloyal man!”
    “Thou art like a toad; ugly and venomous.”
    “Thine forward voice, now, is to speak well of thine friend; thine backward voice is to utter foul speeches and to detract.”
    “Thou art a flesh-monger, a fool and a coward.”
    “A most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.”
    “Thy tongue outvenoms all the worms of Nile.”
    “You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe!”
    “Methink’st thou art a general offence and every man should beat thee.”
    “My wife’s a hobby horse!”
    “Thou art as loathsome as a toad.”
    “Go, prick thy face, and over-red thy fear, Thou lily-liver’d boy.”
    “Thou clay-brained guts, thou knotty-pated fool, thou whoreson obscene greasy tallow-catch!”
    “That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that roasted Manningtree ox with pudding in his belly, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
    “You starvelling, you eel-skin, you dried neat’s-tongue, you bull’s-pizzle, you stock-fish–O for breath to utter what is like thee!-you tailor’s-yard, you sheath, you bow-case, you vile standing tuck!”
    “Peace, ye fat guts!”
    “There’s no more faith in thee than in a stewed prune.”
    “Thou poisonous bunch-back’d toad!”
    “Thou art unfit for any place but hell.”
    “Thou are pigeon-liver’d and lack gall.”
    “Your virginity breeds mites, much like a cheese.”
    “Thine face is not worth sunburning.”
    “Your brain is as dry as the remainder biscuit after voyage.”
    “You are as a candle, the better burnt out.”
    “If thou wilt needs marry, marry a fool; for wise men know well enough what monsters you make of them.”
    “Thy sin’s not accidental, but a trade.”
    “A most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.”
    “Methink’st thou art a general offence and every man should beat thee.”
    “Thou cream faced loon”

“Thou art as fat as butter.”

If you ever wish to insult, then use any of these and people will be dying for you to stop...
    or will begin monthly payments not to have to hear them again ;)!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

There is no rigid definition for what role playing is, other than the idea that a player is playing a role different from that of him- or herself. Oddly, the idea that RG is promoting--that the characters in the game are actually otherworldly manifestations of our regular selves--precludes role playing on a very fundamental level. "Role playing" yourself isn't role playing.

Creating another character and playing that character, however, certainly is, no matter how you do it. Many RPers do exactly what you do, Archaaz, and basically just form their character around the "now," letting things like history develop as they play. Going beyond that takes a concerted effort, as defining a backstory in advance obligates your character to behave in certain ways, such as can be reasonably expected to have come from that particular history. Obviously if my character was a bastard given up for adoption as a baby, having grown up in an orphange, I might have some very basic idea how to wrestle or fight from my conflicts with other kids, but I'll probably have no idea how to craft or cook, how to work magic, or how to display the proper etiquette to people of high social stature. I'd also probably not be very well educated (except in whatever capacities my personal experiences had educated me) because I never went to any kind of school, and as an adult I would be a very practical sort of man, with maybe interest in but no skill with a great many things. Then there's the matter of my moral character... :p

No matter how you go about doing it, though, developing a believable character is very much telling a story through an unusual medium for storytelling. Many RPers find it easier to build a character by being that character, and in a way RP can help players explore storytelling elements that they might have no idea how to approach otherwise. The point, though, is that there's no right or wrong way to do it. You'll still probably get more respect from the community if you keep your character consistent and cohesive, though. :)

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Lord Trenyc is very correct!

The Time Lord has no real talent with story writing and no sense of any graphic art that could be crafted by me... "That is a Fact!" :( But I am an avid supporter of those arts! :) I do this by lending my character to be shamelessly written about by any author that wants to include him within their own storyline. But by doing this, it does have a double edged sward effect, if I think any writer has somehow abused my character. But the secret that keeps my head above becoming offended, is that "I really Don't Care!" :D Because the good part of allowing this to happen, is that I get to check in and read all of what I've been up to within all the stories that include me in them! :cool: But the biggest reason that I don't care about what people may say about me in their individual storylines, is the fact that "If any Story is No Good, then Nobody is Going to Read Them Anyway!" But very luckily for the Time Lord, that "there are some Extremely Creative and Imaginative Story Writers Out There That Are Literary Geniuses!" that have made me into quite an interesting and very challenging character to portray :) I am now in print, as well as on audio by an extremely talented group that includes; An Online Writer, A Graphic Artist, A Story Teller, Actor, Actress and even a Stage Manager! OMG! I would have never have dreamed that such a top notch team would have ever had done all this for the Time Lord Character o_O That's truly mind blowing ...!

Oh and by the way, for all you story tellers and creative writers out there; in case you haven't noticed, "New Britannia now has a New Time Lord Image" as all Ultimas have always featured a new character for him, thus New Britannia is no different in keeping within this fine tradition. (BTW You are all Time Lords now having come here to SotA, I just try my best to portray the spirit of the first Time Lord of Old Ultima History ;) I promise to try my best at it :))

But the New Time Lord Image, has come about through the evolution of his masterfully crafted storyline tellers right here in our SotA:

"The Time Lord is now in the form of a 10 year old Chinese Monk"o_O So I'll be trying to do my best RP'ing that in a tasteful way... because he once was carrying around his dead wife in a funny looking little blue cube while attempting "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" while trying to find a new body for her o_O I can't make this kind of stuff up, it's far beyond my capacity for any meaningful comprehension o_O But she too now is a 10 year old little female Karate Monk and I won't spoil the story for you to elaborate any more on it, you'll have to read about it, or catch it on audio performance....

Just Let Your Fingers Do the Walking, and check out many more stories about many other characters you may know there, and make sure to tip the staff with a "Like" because I sure do ;)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...poetry-or-fan-fiction-read-as-a-podcast.9570/

I Hope to See You All Enjoying the Plays,

11. Hawkings

Hawkings Avatar

When I first got into an MMO (UO) as a teenager, I was taught how to role play by some hard core D&D style RP nerds. I learned that it is important to respect other players more then "liking" other peoples characters/styles.

Over the years I've learned that everyone is role playing always, just not everyone is role playing "alternate characters" So instead of sitting and waiting for RP to happen it is important to seek friends or allies and just RP with them even if they are not RPing.

Also I learned that if someone asked you "A.S.L." That might be a good time to run away!

12. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

The way I RP is simple. I stay true to my character no matter what.
    I do not force my RP on anyone; For instance, if I am mad at a person and pick up something wanting to hit them upside the head with it, I emote. "Hurls the ale bottle at Beleg's head." This gives Beleg the choice of getting hit in the head, or ducking.
    If I am caught out in my street clothes and a foe attacks me, well that is my tough luck. No tossing on the armor at all.
    I respect other players and their RP. (Except for vampires. I detest Vampires. )

The idea of RP for me is to put myself into my characters life. To think and react as he would and allow him to live out his life within the game.

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"In one ear and out the other works well for Brad Pitt" o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.