(Bland) Character Creation!

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Hempy Do`Herben, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deaths Demise

Deaths Demise Avatar

The male hair selections are so bad.. The bun for a guy, hehe, while it made me laugh its abysmal.

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  2. gergecoelho

gergecoelho Avatar

I tie my hair in a bun all the time. :(

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Again, I think the simplest solution is to allow crowd sourcing of these assets and then we'd have tons and tons of hair styles, faces, etc.

There are 300 hair/face mods for Skyrim on Skyrim Nexus for example, many of them compilations with several in each mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=26

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG]
    I would be really happy with options, lots of options in fact. Now of course that's a personal preference but very important to some. They may want to role-play as their view of what a magnificent avatar looks like to them. This woman is definitely not bland in my opinion. Sorry she is very very small. Where's my magnifying glass lol.

5. Deaths Demise

Deaths Demise Avatar

Hey G,

In no means was it a bad thing for real life hairstyles, but moreso Id hope for better hair choices for the male characters. Its literally the same styles for each sex. This being said, I now know they are expanding on it..

So Buns away for you... unless you do 2 like Princess Leia =)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. gergecoelho

gergecoelho Avatar

I know! Was just being dramatic. xD

Time Lord and Deaths Demise like this.
  7. Sangoire

Sangoire Avatar

Everyone does not have to spend 30 minutes in character creation but many players enjoy avatar/character customization/individualization. That's why other games created the Randomize button. Personally, I spend WAY more than 3o minutes individualizing my avatar at the start of the game and that buzz of individuality gives me a huge burst to starting any game. Some of my favorite games involved much character appearance options and that included UO. Because the avatars in UO were so vague with paper dolls I would spend hours writing my character description and history for role play.

Decorate your avatar, explore, adventure, PvP, role play, crafting and then go home and decorate the house! ^_^ Rinse and repeat.

8. Hugolin

Hugolin Avatar

yup i think character creation should be worked as much or more than housing, since u will be identify by ur avatar and u will look at it way more than ur house

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  9. NeeNee

NeeNee Avatar

I would probably spend more time making a character I liked if we had options! I kind of hate over-realistic looking characters in games, but it would be nice to have more options than a few hairdos and big chest or not big chest (for both genders!). I'd love options for height, weight (not just a big tummy) and some spiffy medieval hairdos.

Plenty of time for all that though. :)

rild, Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  10. Hawkings

Hawkings Avatar

If you hate over realistic you would really not like Black Deserts character creator

For me the Asian Market is setting the bar really high, but sadly when you put all your resources into making sexy characters two things happen, the rest of the game suffers, and people spend weeks making characters and not playing the game.

rild, Bodhbh Dearg, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  11. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

If we could find a happy medium between this and what is currently in game I'd be happy but from what I understand the Dev team is waiting for Unity 5 to be released before putting too much effort into this area.

12. NeeNee

NeeNee Avatar

Hah, yeah, that is too much! And I totally agree that the rest of the game usually suffers when too much attention is paid to the character creator. My SOTA character is pretty ugly, but really, I play Wurm. I'm just glad to have a few more hairdos to choose from at this point.

13. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Everytime I see this video I want to go and buy the best PC and just spend hours making the perfectly character, knowing full well I won't play the game because Korean MMO's are more often than not, bad and or terrible grindfests.

Really wish we had got rid of the plastic hair by now :p

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

is this game playable in the US? right now?

15. NeeNee

NeeNee Avatar

It's not. It just released as beta in Russia, I believe.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Lol first one to post the Black Desert mockup.....

I'm getting a little concerned with this. I appreciate the graphical improvements, but not at the expense of not improving character selection in 6 releases, or making the OS X client unusable.

Batten down the hatches mateys, we're in for a rough ride ahead methinks

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

No. IP locked to Korean players only and there are only beta periods those players can play.

Black Desert is all flash and no sizzle IMO. I haven't actually played it tho. I would love to play it someday if I can make a really cute asian elf like the ones they show with stars in their eyes :)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Logged in to R6 last night to create my character. Words simply cannot describe how woefully inadequate and unappealing the character creation system currently is. That system is in need of some serious artist and dev love...

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Let's think about where character creation was in 2006 with oblivion. You can basically create a bunch of deformed ugly heads, but you have control over eye type, size, many hairstyles, jaw length, skin tone on a scale, even races that aren't human...

After the game was released, people in their spare time doing unpaid labor made tons of amazing 3rd party "pretty heads" and finally people were happy.

that was 2006... there are probably people playing this game that were born then. So that's all they know.

Right now we have head choices: Bro, Deformed Asian (??), Doofy Fat Face and one other unappealing one. You can choose from like 5 hair styles that are all pretty awful, except bald head, and maybe mohawk if you like that kind of thing, and some pretty weird beards including child molester mustache, I-need-a-trim old man beard and what not. Then you can have either a really fat nose or a really skinny nose. You can chose from a 3 or 6 color palette that seems to be using EGA color options (16 colors !! woooo!!! goodbye greyscale lol)

You can't choose any races (okay we're all from earth, I forgot... how depressing)
    You can't *really* choose even the most common earth like races like white, black, hispanic (light and dark shades), asian (light and dark), native american, eskimo, etc.

What's crazy is you'd think we would have seen some improvement from R2 or whenever this came in. How difficult could it have been to toss another 6 hairstyles and beard types in , or make range slider for colors and a palate color saving tool ? I'm not a game dev, but I have developed software and Unity must have some way to allow to chose RGB colors on a sliding scale easily !

The saving grace of this could be this answer "we didn't work on the character customization because we're getting rid of the ugly models we currently have to have amazing models in R7, and all new character customization options will be available then."

One can dream.

20. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Definitely need more than four character face models ( a dozen sounds about right to me) and work really needs to be done on the hair (which does look like plastic). More variations in skin coloring would be great too! Too bad these generated characters pale in comparison to the recent graphical and lighting improvements to the game environment :(

P.S. At least they finally added an Asian face model (so at least my character looks somewhat like me) , but as tradyblix pointed out, what about other different ethnic groups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.