Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thoughts on R6

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by pkarapan, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkarapan

pkarapan Avatar

Game looks pretty good so far. I like the housing system and the 3rd person graphics look pretty good when you're moving about town.

However, the "cloth map" style overhead map looks like crap. It's doubtful this could be improved. What happened to the 3D overhead map from the original demo? I just recently found out the R6 map is NOT a placeholder??

Also the combat animations and mechanics look they are from 2001. Hopefully these ARE placeholders. Click on an enemy to auto-attack? Really?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Tons of info in the forum about the overland map as well as combat... besides, until the game is officially released... none of what we are seeing now is final... ^_^

Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  4. pkarapan

pkarapan Avatar

Read through those links. That's good news.

I'd rather the game took longer and was more polished than rushed out the door. Exiting a scene currently we go from a beautiful 3D world to a 2D zelda-ish cloth map. One of my issues with this was how immersion breaking it was.

Now if the combat can be improved dramatically I will be very happy. :)

Given the pedigree of previous Ultima titles, story-wise, we probably have little to worry about. But given the track record of games such as U7-U9, I'd be concerned if the combat wasn't given much more serious attention.

Time Lord and Maeryck like this.
  5. Salix

Salix Avatar

I played a bit with the new R6 and, compared from R4 (the last one I played), I saw a great improvement in the graphics department which, from the notes they released, seems to have been their goal with R6.

I'll play around more, try crafting and combat and see what I can do.

But I agree that the overhead map contrasts a lot with the rest of the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

3D overland map which is still a work in progress... not sure when we'll see it in-game...

[​IMG]

Time Lord, Montaigne and Ravenclaw like this.
  7. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Always these statements like "looks like crap".
    For me it looks great! And now?
    I think, taste is different, and you really could tell your opinion a bit more polite.
    Or develop something better yourself?

Mata, Time Lord, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  8. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

Well how do "modern" games target? Yell at the screen? I thought that clicking on targets or pressing TAB to cycle targets was normal. It is in all the games I play.

You dragged skills down to your hotbar, right? Admittedly, pressing the number of a hotbar'd skill or spell doesn't always work, but clicking on the hotbar button does.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think the game looks awesome, the lighting is much, much better... Still need more contrast for us mid level graphics card owner, from shadows to bright light (I'm on win 101 patch). The sewers was very playable under torch light, although you made the undead much tougher.

Some how you broke crafting so that dbl clicking recipe no longer puts all the needed resources on the table, that is bad. Smelting animation is still out of alignment...

I Love Arm/Dis-arm, so Cool...

Time Lord likes this.
  10. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I recall Starr saying they'd introduce the new overland map in R7... but that is just from my memory, so don't lawyer me, or Starr, bro. ;)

NRaas and Time Lord like this.
  11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

You can only use keys to activate spells and skills if you are in combat. If you want to start a fight using a spell or skill, you need to click on the spell or skill on the combat shortcut bar. I don't believe this is the intended action, but the way tools and combat shortcuts are programmed right now it is the only solution.

foobard, NRaas and Time Lord like this.
  12. RexInMonte

RexInMonte Avatar

I'm really happy with what I see in R6.
    Graphics are just amazing, and you really see the progression they can make in just one month.
    Now of course, it's a "bit" unstable but that's what you signed up for.
    If you look at one of the youtube vids on the news page, you will see some of their plans with the map.
    It really gave me a great feeling.

The huge improvement on graphics has motivated me to upgrade my pledge.
    Even though a game doesn't have to have great graphics to be a great game, but this update gave me confidence about their work.
    I also really like the fact that we can play around with our floating head and they just give this product to us "as is".
    That is really brave, now of course they finish of what they are working on and dis/enable some stuff before they make this build.
    But still you get a very raw product, and that is really rare in the game industry.

Keep up the great work Portalarium!
    Now if you will excuse me, I have to find a bank to rob to buy my Lord of the Manor pledge.

Kaisa and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Statements like "Looks like crap" are useful because SotA needs to withstand the slings and arrows of outrageous comments. "It's an Alpha" so we should expect such a realistic view of it being offered.
    But I have seen it becoming "Soooo much better" that I know SotA's future is nothing short of a AAAAA 5XA game and has the possibility of becoming as ground breaking as UO first was.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Jambo and abovenyquist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.