Disappointed so far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galdivar, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Yes, everyone wants to get what they want.

2. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

And don't forget that actually they are the first to choose a city plot and they are very few, before they were the second in the list. Probably the castles, both in land or wanter, are my favorite building in the game. LotM is very cool, but I like the classic style of the Duke house.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Honestly... lets think about this for a bit. I'l going to use WoW as an example, because that is the most recent MMO that have played in a manner consistent with the way I played games when games for the Atari 2600 were still on shelves for upwards of $25.

I dove headlong into WoW, because it gave me a lot of things I was looking for in an MMO. Immersion, a massive world I could explore, players I liked and played the game with on a regular basis, just to name a few. I played from release until almost two years later... and the reason I stopped was because I stepped back and looked at what I had to show for my second 'job' (WoW): Nothing but memories... and the majority of those are recorded in various youtube videos of raid fails and/or successes (mostly fails). While admittedly funny in retrospect, it bothered me that I cared so much about a game, INVESTED so much into a game in terms of both time and money, that I was beginning to be a stranger to my family and friends IRL. For what? The next armor set???

Then I stopped and asked myself: If all of the WoW servers shut down tomorrow, for whatever reason, aside from memories, what would I have?

Nothing.

Now, I never look to invest in a game anything more than I can spare, period. Don't get me wrong, I have added a few drops to the money bucket, but let me turn this question on you:

If Portalarium suffered some catastrophe, one that put them so far behind the power curve that they would not just have to play catch up, but would have to go all the way back to concept, as a result of this fictional catastrophe? What if the blow was so massive, that the only option remaining to them was to throw in the towel.
    What would your "investment" be worth then?

Nothing.

To be perfectly honest, I don't care if you PLEDGED (because that is what you actually did) one dollar or twenty thousand. The only thing you are truly guaranteed is to not have to pay another red cent to play the game if your pledge was high enough, and the game launches. If you 'invested' in this game (ie supported it with money with the unspoken, and honestly never promised, understanding that you will get some form of monetary ROI), then I'm sorry to say that my feeling is that you backed the pony for the wrong reasons.

My money was on the possible option of a ride, not to receive anything for watching it run.

I'm not slamming you... I am just tired of people acting like they have purchased a percentage of the company rather than simply provided some money they knew would be used to further the game's development. At best, anyone here who has paid Portalarium any money could be likened to an angel investor: doing so out of the goodness of their heart, and should be looking for nothing more than to hold a box in their hand.

There's more, and i had a clearer point in mind, but I'm running out of juice fast\.. so this will have to do...

4. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I think that he is in her rights to request about the pledge, but I really cannot see a Duke fiasco at all, that elvel is pretty awesome for me. Anyway since some months ago I just decided to put money because I just want to support the game. I already now that the pledge rewards are not that much awesome like they seem in the KS.

5. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

The developers are trying too hard to make SotA "easy and enjoyable" to a broad audience.

And unfortunately this is turning the game into a WoW clone.

Raziel and tamino like this.
  6. Horton Irongate

Horton Irongate Avatar

Amen to that! I have played just about every MMO out there and others: UO, EQ,WOW,EQ2,SWG,Neverwinter nights, NW2, LOTRO, D&D online, Neverwinter, etc etc. I must say that each game has its own unique draw to players and specifically to its own Genre. I joined UO because I was a true RPG player and loved the previous Ultima environment. But I left UO after 5 years due to the constant macroing that was required, LAG FROM HELL! and PvPing was such a pain in the neck with all of its exploits... In the end, I couldnt win a single battle due to their exploits. EQ was a logical step in my gaming progression due to the graphics and game evolution, WoW was a nice little cartoonish environment but didnt hold me long, SWG was of course a dream come true to fly an X-Wing in an MMO environment and LOTRO is of course almost perfect with its awesome content and graphics.
    I have come full circle back to a Ultima style game based upon what the designers have stated thus far. I have dedicated quite a bit of coinage to this game and what I consider to be a game that will hold my attention for YEARS to come. What Tradyblix said " can do my town role-playing and armorer role, and when I get sick of that, I can go kill some PvP griefers...." is exactly they type of play experience that I am looking for. Sometimes the soldier comes out of me and I want to kick someones ass and other times I want to left the *%# alone and make a stupid chair. None of those other games offer me what SoTA has promised. So far the content is "nice and pretty", but not mind blowing and definitely not boring. It has come a long way since October wouldnt you all agree? When I play during a Release weekend and get bored - All I have to do is stop and remember that the "hidden Vale" is probably only 5% or less of the total world we are seeing and most importantly - we are testing the game mechanics!.

fumblefingers and majoria70 like this.
  7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well it's more then opinion. The castle is nice. But there is NO island.

Duke Gréagóir, tamino and Lordy like this.
  8. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Except your wrong. Everything in each pledge level HAS to be delivered, per kickstarter terms that they(Portalarium) agreed to. That's why they were very careful about what they promised.

tamino and Lordy like this.
  9. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

While simple, I am not sure it is accurate. If you look at most successful people, the difference between them and those who are not successful is perseverance.

10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

And you still miss the point...

If you spent $5000+ on a video game expecting anything more from that money than to enjoy what you invested in, then it is money poorly spent.

MaxPower1161, Ned888 and Cabrens like this.
  11. Ahroo

Ahroo Avatar

This game is anti-Wow, this game is not appealing to them if you list the features.

There is no traditional servers, no random group que system, no warzones, no PVP arena system, no raid systems with lockout system and the list goes on and on.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I really wish that people would get off this wow clone stuff. I see a lot of things that are very different from WoW and MMOs in general. Maybe because my back ground does not come from strictly playing MMOs I don't know. We will have to wait and see what we have at the end but a couple times I have felt that ultima feeling, one that is not just UO.

fumblefingers, Ned888 and Kaisa like this.
  13. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

Duke castle is ok....if we could just have that promised island as well please :)

Duke Gréagóir and tamino like this.
  14. Lordy

Lordy Avatar

With all respect,
    Reasons i decided to invest my money in the game it is something personal and i'm not expecting others to understand, agree or endorse. For sure i'm not expecting someone, especially someone not from Portalarium, to let me know what i should expect from my pledge.

Im following this game since february 2013, daily while on KS and almost daily afterwards...there are some concerns i have, which i forwarded to the nice guys in Portalarium, and i received my answers...official answers :)

It's curious how people i never seen around in the beginning of the project, now share with us their wisdom and knowledge about what we should expect from our pledges....big or little they are

Ned888 and tamino like this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I have many concerns about the game but I think the overall direction is very positive. It is also at a very early stage so there's much to be refined and developed. Combat in R6 was lackluster but it will get better - it is very basic at the moment. And the card system will work or it won't - whatever happens we will have a lot to say about it.

So I am not disappointed at this stage (my community were able to build an entire town so they certainly got that part working)

My main concern is time and resources. I don't want to see the game rushed.

16. Ambrosius2

Ambrosius2 Avatar

Prepare to receive a closed tread when this one become hot!

And WELCOME, finally guy start to exprime their opinion and defend what they want... we pay we want that's all

I dont pay a perfect stranger to do whatever he want with my money

fumblefingers likes this.
  17. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

TLDR (of what I was going to post before accidentally hitting alt-left arrow somehow): I was expressing my opinion that expecting anything more of your pledge, regardless of the amount, than the knowledge that your money helped promote something you care about, and maybe the slight perks that come along with it, is unrealistic. If you don't like it... ok? It's an opinion.

The guy I quoted apparently expects his pledge to maintain a certain dollar value, if not appreciate. My opinion is that this is a fallacy, as not even in the world of finance are investments guaranteed to do that. Anyone that thinks otherwise might just have a contract for bridge real estate in the Sahara in their future. Then there's the fact that we're talking about a pledge.

Lastly, I'm happy you have been following Shroud from early last year... that's fantastic. I'm glad you had the money to pledge when I did not, as it certainly made the current state of Shroud more of a certainty than it would have been otherwise. I recently came into the ability to do the same, and gladly did so. When, or how much, we pledged does not matter... our voices are more or less equal... so I will continue to express my opinion, about the game and such other topics that pertain to the game. I just call it how I see it, and as I see it, you PLEDGED money to support this, and you can certainly look at it as an investment if you want, but remember it is a one-way investment.

In the end, Portalarium will make this game, and do their best to deliver on the promises made to those who pledged, as well as try to take some of what we have to say into account... but please don't tell me how you expect anything more than a game to play that you will hopefully enjoy greatly, because imho, anything more is foolish.

Cabrens and Lordy like this.
  18. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Yes... they do. IF THEY LAUNCH.

If this game goes under... then they are required to deliver nothing, including your money.

19. Ambrosius2

Ambrosius2 Avatar

I want just to underline...

If my company invests the money for a refinery, the contractor for sure dont build with it an apartment and for certain follows the directives of the person who pays it.

Kickstarter campaigns are not charities campaign for Mr. Bart Simpsons

We are all backers and for that tester of the game that WE WONT, so we must evaluate the product and give the right straight.

If you dont listen us can you please explain to me who you're directing your product? To you or to the public that paid you?

When the first doubts born about certain mechanics, and we have raised our concerns we were told "try before what we think" then let's fix if it goes wrong ... well now its going wrong... I want to see when you understand that

Raziel likes this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just for the sole purpose of putting this discussion into perspective - SC is often mentioned as successful model that SOTA should follow. Well, the SC forums are currently a maelstrom of uproar and recriminations - the DFM (dogfighting module) which people have been waiting for since last December has again been delayed. You can now find the dreaded words "hoax", "scam" and of course "refund" in the titles of the most active posts in the SC forums. When you raise 40+million that quickly the downsides become very apparent when the development process stumbles.

We're all bracing ourselves over there for a backlash from the popular game review sites - it could get bad this time. Be very glad SOTA is growing steadily and several releases are already out.

I think I'm going to hide out here till it blows over.

jiirc, NRaas and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.