Am I the only one who prefers turn-by-turn combat?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Turguin, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

The old turn by turn combat is by far my favorite. Real time combat is so less interesting. For all the conversation about how MMORPGs have dumbed questing down, can't the same be said about combat? I think the strategy behind turn by turn combat is far more appealing. A fight in U5 was far more interesting than a fight in U7, for example. Thoughts?

Freeman likes this.
  2. Eldyth

Eldyth Avatar

I think it depends on the game and how it approaches said combat.

Since it's gonna have online components, i could see harder ways to make combat work in turn by turn style. I wouldn't mind to see it at all if done correctly however.

3. Machuell

Machuell Avatar

I feel that turn based combat was good when the computer couldn't process a battle in real time, but I feel it is not as immersible as real time fights are.

Not only that, but turn by turn is insanely boring with more than two people playing. In fact, if your opponent takes a while to decide what to do when you know you've already got him regardless of his strategy, it's aggravating to have to wait for him to go through all available scenarios and waste your time just because he can't accept that he's toast.

So, to answer your question, most likely.

4. AC_Black

AC_Black Avatar

I am not a fan of turn by turn, the weapons I will use are for fast in and fast out of the way. If turn by turn is in then everyone will just get the biggest best hitting and alittle magic to heal IF that is possible.

5. bpstrat

bpstrat Avatar

I prefer turn-based combat over real-time as well. I agree that U5 had the best combat of the series, it was turn-based, but it moved pretty quickly. It doesn't look like Shroud will have turn-based combat, but it would be nice.

Freeman likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think it you have to look at it on a case by case basis. I agree that the combat post U6 wasn't quite as engaging as previous games but a lot of that decision is technology based. It wasn't just combat in the early games that was turn based. An online enviroment almost demands real time and an MMO pretty much has to be simplified for the masses and to keep everything running smoothly. Plus there are schedules and budgets to consider. Most developers just aren't going to put in a lot of time and energy into something when they can get away with something simple.

This is not an MMO however so it'll be interesting to see what options we'll have.

7. Tabacha

Tabacha Avatar

Maybe you could lure someone into a special turn-by-turn fighting mode, e.g. with a spell!?

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

and if they decide to go AFK to fix dinner? or their cat has to be let out just before someone calls? It's one thing if the entire game is turned based. It's quite another when it's not.

Of course one solution to AFK scenarios is simply to have a time limit on the turns. Took too long? Too bad. Either that or have default behavior for that sort of thing.

9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Definitely prefer turn-based combat, but not in multi-player games, unless pen and paper and dice are involved. Turn-based is one of those things that just only work really well in single-player games - and yes, I'm including strategy! Real-time action combat is just the only way to go for a game like this.

10. nottuned

nottuned Avatar

while i dont see how turned base would work in pvp. I would also like to see alot less of running in circles smashing button skills.
    Turned based was nice because it involved thought, but can be slow and tedious.
    The free running spaming skills can be exciting but involves very little thought, in my experience anyhow.

11. Hero Of Britannia Dragon

Hero Of Britannia Dragon Avatar

I miss the old Ultima 5 and before turn by turn, but I don't think that it would work well in the game they're trying to build here.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think the turn by turn mode is a highly artificial way to go about things if you have the opportunity for live action combat. Other than chess, or such things like that, conflicts in the real world are not done turn by turn.

13. Simsoy

Simsoy Avatar

Turn-by-turn would only work in a single player game. But, i feel like it would be easy and boring. While you have strategy, you don't need to be strategic. With a real time combat system that's indepth you can increase play value by making classes feel different, survival and player skill become important, the game feels less artificial.

The perfect real time combat system is better than the perfect turnbased combat system.

14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I prefer the potential for strategy in turn by turn. I don't believe a true turn by turn system would work for reasons mentioned above, especially with pvp. The best they could do is slow down combat so its less reaction based, so instead of hitting this then that then this and over here and drink a potion, all within 10 seconds, spread that out, people could get bored from that system if combat takes too long, so then you have to make things more powerful for a quicker end.

It's possible with the combat system they have in mind it will be slightly slower than what you normally see now, which might be cool. Sometimes you dont like the way a combat system is described but after you use it for awhile it starts to grow on you. That has been the case with me for many RPGs. If anything the ones that bore me are memorize what each button does and just execute combos using those same buttons.

Thinking about it I found combat in WoW boring for that reason... which is also what the dev team had mentioned. maybe a slightly slower combat with more thought would be a lot more entertaining, they could be on the right track.

As far as making combat entertaining by making classes feel different, they feel different for a little while, but once you play them a lot it gets into that same mode of repetition. I haven't seen an MMO pull of making combat entertaining for more than the first 30 hours of play with any particular class. The exception: Final Fantasy 11 from what I remember (it's been awhile since i played) The skill chain system made combat very interesting. but that is because you had to pay attention and use the proper skill at the proper time. But again, the classes didn't feel particularly different, beyond the standard, im tank, im a healer, im a dps. and thats really just a difference in roles. And there again, FFXI had a dedicated Puller, something i haven't seen any the MMOs ive played. Someone who runs out and grabs monsters and brings them back for you. ofcourse that is because their gameplay was based around the level grind, but I could see that tactic used to clear dungeons. In WoW it was more of lock these guys down so we can DPS them one at a time, instead of carefully go a ways out and bring back a particular mob.

15. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    I also think a turn by turn system would only be effective, and interesting, in a single player game, though even then I would prefer something more along Icewind Dale's system, which was real time, but could be paused to alter the actions of the characters in the player's party. I can't really see a turn by turn based approach working in an MMORPG, at leas t not in an interesting, viable way.

16. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Agree with the others on turn by turn. The strategy element would be great, and perhaps some of that will be reclaimed by the "card-based" combat system. But I still would like the ability to tie each combat ability/card to a key. Thinking long-term fatigue, as well as combat speed.

17. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

I much prefer turn by turn for single player and real-time only for MMO/coop/PvP. When I want real-time combat I play CoD Black Ops II. The nostalgia many of us feel for turn by turn combat in the early Ultimas isn't less immersion -- it's just a different -- more thinking, less twitching. Of course, if quests require large quantities of one-side combat against weaker foes combat of any kind gets tedious. Beastie's port of Ultima 3 to the Mac had a great auto-combat feature for just this reason.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  18. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Would love to see a new XCOM style combat for a fantasy game like the old U3-5 or Pool of Radiance/Gold Box games.

It does, however, really lend itself to a solo player only game. You can do multiplayer, but it's not as engaging since you're constantly in this cycle of hurry up and wait.

19. Syrion

Syrion Avatar

for the single person game (like the old U1 to U5) I too prefer the turn-based tactical non-twitch game play. I love being able to take time to think before casting a spell, or figure out where to toss a boomerang ax.
    Obviously this would only work for the single player game, but I hope they consider implementing a turn-based single player game as an optional way to play the combat elements of the game. They're already making the overland map similar to the old U3-to-U5 style.

disclaimer: I'm not planning on playing the multiplayer version of this game and my opinion here are strictly for an optional mode of the single player game.

Examples of turn-based combat single player games I love: Ultima 3's party system, being able to carefully choose where I move and attack. Final Fantasy Tactics, same reason. Fire Emblem, same pretty much. Original Fallout and Fallout 2.

Examples of twitch-combat single player games that I hate: All the First Person Shooters masquerading as an RPG, where my character's Dex is meaningless since how well I target is based on my (Player's) non-existent Dex. This would include Oblivion (doesn't matter if my dex is high, if I personally can't aim worth squat), Fallout 3 (even with judicious use of the PIP-boy targetting mode), most/all MMORPG from the original Everquest on.

20. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

I wouldn't lump EQ's combat into the twitch category. Combat was divided into discrete rounds, and actions took a certain amount of time. A faster mouse/internet connection was not going to change the rate that you could perform actions.

There was a strategic element to it (deciding when to expend resources) even though it was fast at times.

Unfortunately "turn on autoattack and watch tv" worked too well against modest encounters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.