What are your top 5 favorite RPG's of all time??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doppelganger [MGT], May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Wow, 7th Saga - I don't actually know many people who have either played it or liked it - it was very unforgiving. I did like it myself though, a lot of diverse characters. A little too much luck and grind I think however. I know there was a sequel but I never played it and I think it only got a japanese release.

2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I loved it. I especially liked your ability to get different companions based on your chosen character. It was pretty hard and grindy though.

3. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

First RPG was Ultima 2 on the school computer (that I think the computer teacher's son "aquired" from a bbs after school hours)... Went straight out and bought Ultima 3 for the NES, then bought 4 and 5, Final Fantasy 1, and Dragon Warrior... Since then RPGs make up at least 80% of my games.. Now the list:

1) Dungeon Master.... This is the game that got me away from classes.. You do it you get better at it, classes should be how you play not assigned.
    2) Dragon Warrior/Quest (pick one I like them all, but probably 4 is my favorite)... I just like this series. For some reason, especially with 4, I feel an attachment to the characters when playing... All but that thing they released for the WII.
    3) Lunar 1 and 2... Another set of games where I got attached to the characters while playing, I also liked the sense of humor, and the combat was a bit more interesting than the Final Fantasy style
    4) Ultima 4... I would have said 7 and all its parts, but I feel everything that made 7 great was started in some way in 4. As much as I enjoyed 1-3, 4 was the one that hooked me on the whole series.
    5) Breath of Fire 3... Not overly impressive in many ways, but I like fishing and this game was the first time I enjoyed fishing in a game. It's not even the best fishing, but the fishing was solid and enjoying. It also showed me the importance of having a solid mini game experience in an RPG, if only to give you something different to do when you don't feel like doing anything major (like after dieing without saving and not wanting to do it all again) or in online games when you are passing the time waiting for friends to jump on.

4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I remember saving for my old 386 pc with the huge 40 MB hard drive just so I could play games! (who needs a car I wanted my PC)

Kings Quest (all)
    Quest for Glory (all)
    Baldur's Gate
    Ultima VI
    Wizardry 8

Of course there are many more. Goldbox games I played thru the 90's. And Ultima Online, but these were the earliest games I played, and had a lasting impact on games I love today :)

5. Maka

Maka Avatar

Ultima IV
    Pool of Radiance
    Might & Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum
    Daggerfall
    Baldurs Gate 2

Wow.. top 5 is really tough. Oddly enough all of my top RPGs are from when I was a kid. I guess that's why this project is so exciting. They really don't make them like they use to.

I'll just leave these here too.. The Quest for the Eternal Dagger, Ultima V, VI & VII, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Wasteland, ZORK, AD&D Heros of the Lance, Bard's Tale III, Champions of Kyrnn... I really need to stop. :)

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  6. Markus_Sevron

Markus_Sevron Avatar

Nobody has mentioned Asheron's Call yet so I must. Also, not a fantasy RPG but EVE Online is amazing. In list form:

1. Asheron's Call (1.0)
    2. EVE Online
    3. that's
    4. Pretty much
    5. It.

Dhailen and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Minchi

Minchi Avatar

Hmmm....This is a hard question...

I would say Divine Divinity Series, Final Fantasy Series, Fallout Series, and a lot more...

Those are my favorites so far XD!!

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

My favorite game of all time. Never found anything again quite like it. ARokh was not just a mount or a pet, he was a true companion with a very strong personality. In many ways, modern gaming has regressed and at times I feel that the gain in graphics quality isn't worth the loss.

Clip below shows the basic combat and inventory system plus the transition to flight. Arokh will automatically flame any enemy within reach while he's on the ground (with an occasional snide remark :) but you need to command him to do so in air combat.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

@Dhailen So many good choices. I fought hard not to put those on my list.
    Except DQ9 and 10. #&!* Square Enix for killing the series.
    And I couldn't decide between BoF 3 or 4 so I didn't.

10. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

I love Asheron's Call. It is far from perfect, and every time I go back and play it I just can't stick with it. The exploration is great but I've grown use to more variety in combat.

11. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Too many to list. It would include:

- Baldur's Gate Trilogy (it's the mod that turns Baldur'sGate 1 and 2, plus the expansions, into a single game using the BG2 engine).
    - Almost anything Fallout (1, 2, 3, New Vegas)
    - Ultima, from 4 to 8.
    - Elder Scrolls, from Daggerfall to Skyrim, though I can only stand to play most of them with mods due to the dumb leveling system.
    - Chrono Trigger, some of the Final Fantasy games (IV, V VI, IX), and some of the Dragon Warrior games for the story.

There are more, but those are the series that have impressed me the most.

Would you believe that the first adventure game I've played was Leisure Suite Larry?
    (And that I started learning English by playing it? :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.