Devs! Please devote some time to improving the UI

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Doppelganger [MGT], Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

With all of the focus on visual improvements in game, is any time slated to improve the visuals and user friendliness of the actual UI? Namely the conversation interface and the inventory list. I have heard a lot of discussion about improving the visuals of the game, with strong focus on character meshes, lighting and detail. While this is great, I feel some design work needs to go towards the MS Notepad looking chat window and the unfriendly and clunky inventory list as well!

While the conversation system clearly has a ways to go, one of the basic things that stands out to me is what a general eye sore it is. Perhaps an attractive, non-descript border, better font and a background transparency could help the chat interface? As it stands it doesn't blend well with the play area and looks somewhat "out of place", like a modified Notepad dropped in.

Also, while I personally prefer the inventory list to the bag, it is a bit hard to navigate and could also use a bit of a redesign. Imo, it's clunky and not very easily navigable. Think user friendly!

I believe some improvement in these two areas could definitely help the end user experience. I gotta say, if nothing changes with the chat box and inventory list before release, that would be pretty disappointing.

Time Lord, Mata, NRaas and 6 others like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Lum said some time ago that they are planning for a proper conversation interface for the conversations with NPCs. But I would love to hear more about it, how they plan for it to look like and work etc.

As for the inventory: A sorting function for the backpack inventory would be great.
    Also an inventory like in Ultima 9 would be great, too:

[​IMG]

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I am hoping we will be able to display list or bag view on individual containers. I prefer list mode for crafting, but bag mode for everything else, so it would be nice to assign list view to my crafting bag and leave bag mode on everything else.

The UI has already been changing bit by bit, so I expect there to be a lot of changes before launch. I think right now the UI is not that important as many features aren't in. You kind of need everything in the game working as expected to really tune the UI.

4. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Call me crazy but I like the way it was depicted in this prototype video which was very Ultima7esque (and I even like the font).

[​IMG]

Time Lord, NRaas, kabalyero and 5 others like this.
  5. Doppelganger [MGT]

Agree and I especially like the font. It is much more "Ultima like"!

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

That style is not too bad.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

@Doppleganger... thanks for starting this thread... I was just going to do it when yours appeared!

Also, the movement of the windows is strange. The rounded top of the paper doll, but still being able to click on it to move it. The slots are tiny and sometimes its hard to decipher what's in them. The signature for buying? I still don't understand how that's important. Also, moving things around in any window is cumbersome. Conversation literally drives me nuts. I seemed to get kicked out of the window and have to go back to it every time I wanted to type a response. Clicking on anything just doesn't have a solid feel.... Ok very no specific impression I know, but for me - very frustrating.

Time Lord and Doppelganger like this.
  8. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

It might not be 'important' as such, but it's a little touch that I really like. :) Something a little bit different to just clicking on a 'buy' or 'done' button. It only takes an extra couple of seconds, so I hope it stays in - I thought it was wonderful the first time I saw it. :)

An older friend of mine was looking through the screenshots thread and commented that the chat box looked very clear and easy to read. (He hasn't had the chance to play the game himself yet.) I admit it's a bit dull right now so I'd love to see the look of it improved, but I hope it will remain readable! (Or at least have an option for altering the size of the font for those that find it hard to read - I'm not sure if that's currently possible.)

Time Lord, Mata and Vyrinor like this.
  9. Doppelganger [MGT]

Has anyone seen anything mentioning improvements to the UI anywhere in the pre-alpha release schedule? I have just browsed it over and either it's not included or I may have missed it altogether. Just keeping my fingers crossed that this will get some proper attention in game because after all, its the UI that puts everything we do in the game into motion! :)

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

They arent working on this stuff right now. Houses and combat are getting focus mainly.

Lack of planning is somewat evident with launch slated in less than a year from what i understand.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

11. smack

smack Avatar

That's not entirely true. Just look at the Standup Corner and you'll see everything they're working on -- and that includes many entries for UI. But sure, we don't see it listed in the R7 / Q3 Release roadmap so we don't know when that work will show up in one of the releases yet.

Caska DiFumarate and NRaas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.