Avatars Radio - Radio of the Avatars

Discussion in 'Player Radio Stations' started by Amber Raine, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

http://www.streamlicensing.com/ and http://www.live365.com/pro/online.live

Absolutely fantastic sites for any one interested in creating an Internet Radio station - Licensing and Royalties are paid for to all artists we may not have direct permission from
    and those that are not paid royalties through these sites, are from community sources, which we prefer to play more then earthly. As we are indeed a community station, for the community, by the community, with the community in mind. Music, Talent, and News!

Thank you for your inquiry. We are always happy to answer any questions the community might have :)

High Priestess of Chaos
    Amber Raine

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

So like if I asked you to play Britney Spears you would?

The One and Time Lord like this.
  3. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Weird. Is that some sort of insurance? You play justin bieber and the record labels find out and want their fair share, they pay for it and not you or ports for playing it in game? Be careful, you don't want to end up in county for RICO :p

4. Amber Raine

In all honesty? I would probably ask if i could cut my ears off first -- and then dive into a pool of pink fluff... and then maybe a couple hours down the road sometime after i was near death, i would finish the job by playing it? maybe?

Time Lord, NRaas, rild and 2 others like this.
  5. Amber Raine

Actually i am paying for it being played. It is not being played "in game" it is being played on the radio stream which is licensed and does indeed pay royalties. There is nothing presently being streamed in SotA, as there is no means to do so. However it *is* being streamed in Second Life, as one can hear if they were to go into that virtual world. It is a completely legal, and has been done for nearly 10 years in that world alone, and in many other areas of the internet long before. :)

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Radio in general is different that end-user song ownership. You need a broadcast license, which is not required for Internet streaming, and a music licensing body which is a service or publisher who you pay one-time or monthly fee for a license to stream their content under conditions (usually like a certain number of times a day). You don't license a particular song, but a category or catalog of song that group or publisher supports.

http://www.wavestreaming.com/solutions/how-to-start-an-internet-radio-station#legal

7. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

Even though its pretty obvious you are just trying to troll here, which, based on other threads you have replied to, is pretty much what you do, I thought I would explain this to other people who may actually have a concern with this, and to try and clarify how the radio is able to do what it does, and play the music we do.

The sites that Amber listed above, Live365.com, and Streamlicensing.com are both sites that have partnerships with large record companies and publishers (look into the sites and its shown there). They have been setup to provide smaller, internet radio stations a way to handle the royalty payments in a much easier fashion, then that of the large stations. They offer a blanket license, that pay for the royalties, via a monthly lump sum, up to a certain limitation based on both station revenue/expenses, as well as total listener hours. The payment actually works out to be slightly more per song, then it would to use the overly complex royalty structure which requires various different factors, and is an equation that the average Joe would have difficult understanding. However, as the radio station currently falls within all of the criteria to be able to use these blanket licenses for smaller internet radio stations, it is easier to pay for these blanket licenses, then to go into the overly complex per song royalties.

There is additional rules that need to be followed, such as how many times a song can be played per hour/per set and a multitude of other factors that I will not get into here, due to the fact that they are restrictions placed on how the radio can play the music, and have nothing to do with the royalties and licensing, you seem to be so concerned with.

We also play a large selection of community music, that we have been granted royalty free play rights too, by the artists themselves, as they are the ones who retain all rights to their songs, even if they have licensed them to Portalarium for use with the game.

Part of my role within the Radio, is to ensure we meet these requirements. This is due to me experience in the entertainment industry, specifically with regards to the licensing of music for public airing. It is also something I have been spending more time on, since it was mentioned that the radio had a chance to be added in game. As such, I have been making sure that Portalarium, and the Radio, and its staff are covered for royalty licensing.

Feel free to spend some time on the internet to look up the various laws and regulations regarding such things. And also, if you do a little research into RICO, you would see that it is no concern for us what so ever, as it is specifically targeted at Racketeering.

Thanks for raising the concern, hopefully this information will help address those concerns.

8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Korvash,

I am very glad that Amber has you on her team! I did not realize how much work was involved behind the scenes with licensing, etc. :eek: I do hope that we will be able to stream Avatar Radio live into the game, as has been suggested :D

Jambo, Lady Adnor, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  9. rild

rild Avatar

I'd be even more interested in streaming the fan-fiction podcasts in game! Story hour ftw

10. Amber Raine

I would love to be able to stream more of the fan-fiction podcasts - and that is definitely coming as is more community music :)

11. rild

rild Avatar

yay! i'm imagining sitting around the fireplace in someone's home with my fellow avatars and listening to the lore of days and worlds gone by!

no morning tweets cuz my twitter has been compromised :eek:
    waiting on a help ticket (or is this a chaotic plan to make me use IRC? :confused:)
    but i am listening and enjoying :) (ps i would change the dial on any other station when mariah carey came on)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

So my dreams of playing my old episodes of the Shadow every now and then are *makes the Dictator's "kill them signal"*? While I do not own the rights to the CDs that I bought, I can play them in public for people to listen to but not broadcast them over the tesla towers?

Just trying to see where the line is.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Amber Raine

Podcasts and Poetry - Every wednesday and Saturday 8pm - 10pm with Lord Baldrith and the other amazing voice actors he can bring in. As well as the great sounds from our community musicians. Sincerely 4 of my favorite hours in the week, and as the community submissions grow, so to will the hours of that show, until it is all that Avatars Radio is (with perhaps a few exceptions to shows)

Maybe your twitter issues were indeed a hint to come into IRC and sit with us while watching Daniele draw DarkStarrs costume and Rustic Dragon make DarkStarr.. "Goddess Why Rustic - Why".. Pink!

I hope however they do get your twitter fixed, it was a lot of fun being back on the radio yesterday, but was missing something ;). Today it is all about getting everything re-installed so missed my set but will be back tomorrow with everything on this hard drive and my libraries back as they should be - I am so overly organized in my libraries it disturbs even me, and right now they are a mess as I had to quickly tear everything off a failing hard drive.

Thank you for being such a dedicated listener ~sends virutal hugs~ we appreciate it!

14. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Actually I am into music, and I would love to hear more fan made stuff on your station! What I would like to hear less of is the stuff I hear on every day radio.

So, one, thanks for the explanation and two, keep up the good work.

/troll

15. Amber Raine

As I have always said there is no I in team, and this team could not do it without all involved. Korvash has been invaluable since he took his corner office a month ago. he has lots of great ideas, he is a great PA System :p and deals with the public awesomely! I would be a headless chicken without him :) with him, because of his bucket, i am a wet headless chicken ;)

16. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

Thank you both,

However, all I really do, is give Amber a 2nd pair of hands to handle all of the of the work that goes on behind the scene's, as it really is more the one person can handle on their own. Amber is the one who does most of the work, I just add my experience to the mix.

17. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yes! Huge thanks to Avatars Radio and everyone who makes it possible. It adds so much to the community feel. :)

p.s. What does the fox say? hehe (I know, I know, we're supposed to ask in irc but thought I'd toss that out there anyway.)

18. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Ugh! Lobs a ripe Royal Elderberry.

j/k :)

19. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

YOU AND ME are on the same page. I love your posts. I don't know why you ever got banned. You were banned right? Well you're not banned anymore and now we are on the same page. It's just you and me. I love you, man. It's freeky. I think it's special... yeah! Nevermind all that I was just moving to the imaginary music I was hearing in my turbulent mind.
    I'll leave you with this.

YOU AND ME

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.