Disappointed so far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galdivar, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attrib

Attrib Avatar

7 Days to Die more popular than Rust? Please get your facts straight:
    7 Days to Die Steam chart: http://steamcharts.com/app/251570
    Rust Steam chart: http://steamcharts.com/app/252490

And I think Rust will become very popular when the game will be finished.
    As for the rest, I disagree with you.

2. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

Hey its great you disagree, however you're merely looking at one snapshot via one retail outlet.

The metrics I would ask you to provide is 3 independent statistics, conducted to cover the same time frame
    Number of people downloading
    Duration of people playing
    Retention of player base,
    Comparative bell curves showing overtime the growth of player base for each segment of pve,PvP, and a range between the two.
    Percentage of people pve, PvP, mixed 1-10 exposure to pve vs PvP.

Id also ask what confidence interval you used and how large of a sampling size conducted over similar periods.

The data you provided has peaks and troughs but does not distinguish specific of ppreferences of overall player base.

Before you cite data, do provide some comparable statistics along with complimentary metrics.
    Also what you inferred was a claim of fact, not a fact.

Thanks for your input. I still do agree you are welcome to your experiences and opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.

Should you wish to pursue this discourse, I invite you to message me directly and welcome the opportunity to hash out the direction of the game.

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Laughed at. But who cares what the conventional wisdom says anyway ?

Conventional wisdom says buy Madden every year even tho it's not really any better just slightly different
    Conventional wisdom says the dreck churned out by "Game Studios" is good

Game is early. I've got concerns. The way the game was planned and funded seems not well executed to me.... at first we needed a million, we didn't really have a real game, and that was kind of a shock, but they've made a lot of progress. Only they know their funding situation and timeline to get what they need in, in... the schedule shows tons of necessary improvements and additions... there's time.

If it does fail, this place will certainly have all the answers as to why.

ledoc, Kaisa and kiamzonm like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think a lot of people will see the graphics and the dialogue interface, walk away and never give the game another thought sadly. This is somewhat of a niche game aimed at a niche audience. But I do think this game could reach 100,000 - 200,000 players some day with some good word of mouth advertising. That is why it bothers me so much when people trash it publicly with falsehoods.

Kaisa, tradyblix and ledoc like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I agree, I think it could get there organically, but I am imagining the runway is short and it's a heavy bird to get off the blacktop.

enderandrew likes this.
  6. ledoc

ledoc Avatar

I agree...sadly, I doubt it will get much of a positive response at E3. In some ways it's groundbreaking (crowd-sourcing game dev) but as a new game it'll be up against the big studios with their huge budgets.

The question, as to long term viability will of course be $. Out of curiosity I looked up how much that popular game... you know the 3 letter word.... cost to make. WOW....$63 million? that's stiff competition.

if SotA is successful it's going to need a lot more old school niche players to ante up. As for me...I couldn't justify more than the Immortal Adv level.

I DO hope it all works out though.

7. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I hope it gets a better response then most of us think it will at E3. Sadly though I will too agree the response will likely not be very good. We will see though. I do wonder sometimes however if maybe they should have not gone to E3 with the game at such an early stage. It will be hard enough to go up against the big budget games when it is ready to be released much less right now when it is still in the PreAlpha. However the game does need more backers now and not just when it releases and if they didn't go to E3 they would potentially be missing out on a lot of backers. I guess we will in time though whether or not it was really worth the time and money spent.

8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I saw a TON of independent studios on the floor this year (still, today), not sure why people still think it is only big budget, its shifted in the last five years to include more and more indy studios on the floor. Obviously, yes, they are not doing a 50x50 stage floor show or a keynote speaker.

The Plantronics booth was also smack in the middle of two large stages (Twitch broadcast and Wargaming.net). There are/were hundreds of people around at any time.

And this is an all industry event, so these are not just random dude X from the street.

I am not holding my breath for the new "campaign" of money raising aka the new tiers. It had a one day hit and has slowly petered off to below the average for the first year again.

9. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

Please please tell me, Richard Garriot did NOT say games like Farmville are the future of gaming. I dropped facebook, because of that stupid horrible mind numbingly dumb game. I hope I'm not supporting Ultimaville.

10. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I was just thinking about this the other day, how the advent of platforms like Unity have made it possible for anyone to sit down and produce a half decent game...but that also means that there is even MORE competition for what amounts to a limited market (by limited I mean we the customers only have x number of hours a day/week to game. There may be 100 games I'd be interested in, but only have time for a tiny slice of that).

Joviex likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If he said board games are the future of gaming would you think candyland or axis and allies?

12. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

The post was meant to be as you indicated....Its just always interesting people try to state facts when in fact its their opinion. You're right the game is dynamic and always will be evolving even beyond launch.

13. enderandrew

There seemed to be a brief window in which RG discovered social games on his iPad and he said he spent more time playing these games than others. He made a Facebook game, but like many others, he got tired of that fad and left it behind. Now he is making something more substantial.

tradyblix likes this.
  14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

iPad games i.e. social games are a FAD?

Given the billions of dollars that have grown around just that segment of the "cottage" game industry, that is pretty short sighted to blow it off as a FAD.

15. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Lots of fads have made billions.
    Doesn't make them not stupid.

Keldrin likes this.
  16. enderandrew

Zynga's stock has gone down from 15 dollars a share to 3 dollars a share. The fad isn't completely over, but I think the market is already starting to shift.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Doh ! Zynga. I had a chance to go work for them. I almost did, glad I turned it town because I would have relocated and probably laid off a year later hahaa.

18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Since when is Zynga the entire APP market of social media games?

Zynga failed because they provided ZERO means of capitalization and tried to leverage that out of the stock market/holders/buyers.

Much like Facebook overall, who's only real asset is all the stupid people who pump their personal information into said system.

Confusing a crappy company money grab for the entire platform of social media games is short sighted. Simple.

I guess you can go try to tell Apple they are off in the stupid, Google, Unity3D, Unreal's new engine offering, Crytek even has mobile deployments and social integration supports, etc...

Yeah, its something you might not "like" but its no longer the "future" of gaming, it is front and center present.

Walking through E3 for three days this year echos exactly that: Social integration, APP platform development, it is here, in your face now.

Not sure the length of time something fades from FAD to reality, but we are over seven years of social media and small app offerings.

FarmVille, the pinnacle of crapware, came out in 2009, half a decade ago.

Sorry, its not a FAD, but keep convincing yourselves, because RG even said it:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/13/richard-garriott-ultima-creator-portalarium/

I fail to find anything about him calling these games a FAD, or diminishing them in anyway of what they contribute to the game industry.

Quite the opposite really. He does nothing but hold them up as the third generation of game development in 30 years, and something to incorporate going forward.

Otherwise, why would he even make an "MMO" with extra levels and tie ins to your social media? Wasn't that the entire KS sell point of selective multiplayer? Being able to filter your list of friends with "social markers"?

19. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

Neither. I attend board game geeks con each year. I have a good idea what vast variety of board games are out there.
    Now... if he SAID candy land is the future of the gaming world. that's different. See? Saying a genre of games is the future of the gaming world, is WAY different than saying games like "Candy Land" is the future of the gaming world.
    So, was when he said this, was he talking about the micro transaction? Or actual game play? Or was it about mini-games with-in the whole game?
    The concept of micro-transactions, does make sense with the social media games. That on going support for games will be through micro transactions rather than subscriptions.
    And, I guess optional mini-games might be fine to. Like if fishing, or farming, or other craft related play is mini games, with the concept of trying to make semi boring activities more engaging. Fable did this a bit with their simplified crafting system.
    The main thing is, goofy mini game system mechanics, shouldn't be a main focus in the game.

Joviex likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

Candyland is the future of the gaming world ???!!!! Absolute Balderdash !!!!!

Blah... Blah... Opinion.... Veiled Insult.... Condescending tone...

Is that about right ?

I kid. I kid. Don't get mad :)

The future of MMORPGs is.... Shroud of the Avatar ! Right ?! :eek::D

Keldrin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.