LETS TALK MONSTERS!!

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by blaquerogue, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok after taking timeout to go and look at all the monsters they have so far, based on the concept art section of the home page, we know they have....

Dark Elves or bad elves
    Lich
    Skeletons
    Gelatinous cube thing
    A monster called Locust (though they dont look like one)
    Dark spawn (demon like creatures (evil Imp)
    Lurkers that somewhat resemble a lizard man type creature.
    Mushroom creatures
    a dragon looking thing
    a leech type monster
    Giant spiders
    Oracle spider (sci fi looking)
    Oracle herself (also Sci Fi)

Im not sure what the designers are thinking of other than mixing Sci fi with fantasy (which i personally don't like and may make me leave if its too science fiction like. Im more of an fantasy type person and prefer that. Im not sure if there are giant rats or not since i didn't go explore the sewers when i went on so that may be a creature I forgot but is also knd of basic like bears and deer and wolves.
    So with that being said lets give the designers ideas for monsters, you can follow my formula or come up with your own way of describing what you would like to see in the game. I'll start this off so you all have an idea, of format......

Werebear - half bear half human very strong, seen at night only. (forests/Mountains)
    Werewolfs - Half human half wolf, you know the rest.(forests/Mountains
    Beholders - floating ball of flesh with eight eyes each with their own spell, charm and such, and a central large eye with lightening or something like that.
    Medusa Type character - freeze spell, stone spell etc.. (normally armed with a bow) (mountains and ruins)
    Elementals based on their element - firey, watery, icy, earthy etc.. (their element)
    Chain Demon - Look it up in the D&D monster manual (pretty bad ass looking!) (caves ruins old abandoned temples and churches)
    Orcs - any element, any weapons larger than human size
    Trolls - that regenerate parts if cut off (if we go down that road?) any weapon and swampy forest areas.
    Hobgoblins - any environment, they mostly take over ruins and make thim thier strong holds
    Giants (Hill, Air,Ice,Fire, Mountain) any weapon anywhere they are in their element should be at least 5 to 10 times larger than humans (could hold a ballista like a cross bow, or average size tree as a club)
    Griffons - Mountain areas
    Hydras - 3 to 5 headed (Oceans and seas, some moats.)
    Treants - Tree type creatures w/ magic (woods)
    Giant Scorpions - (desert, dry areas)
    Barbarians - weapons mostly great axes, and swords, leather armor, berserk abilities (green lands, mountains, forests)
    Highway men - any weapons/ magic, (along roads between towns mostly) which could possibly be a mixture of all races in game.
    Creeping vines - vines that tangle you up and drag you to a central location where its mouth is to eat people and creatures. (forest and Jungle areas)
    Cloaker - type of creature that dwells in shadowed areas mostly on ceilings and drop on to characters and start chewing them up. (Ruins and empty castles)
    Dragons (all kinds, red,poison,brass etc...) all kinds of magic (their element, caves etc..)
    Giant beetles - (their elements)
    Wraiths - ghostly things
    Zombies - self explainatory
    Kraken - Oceans and seas.
    Hell hound - anywhere
    Ok thats all i can think of at the moment, and keep in mind these monsters can be re named something different to avoid copy wright laws. (exmple my cloaker could be called shadoe lurkers or something)

I cant wait to hear from the community on what type of monsters youd like to have in the game!

Schmidbauer, Leos, Galamar and 16 others like this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Whoa ! No mention of PvP I'm shocked ! :)

Okay first off I would like to see talking horses. Or at least one talking horse. Smith.

For Monsters beyond what we have I'd like to see :

Fey & Evil Fey (Fauns, Nymphs, Dryads, Fairies, Pooka, etc)
    Slimes of all colors and difficulty levels
    Monsters from Lovecraft (Hound of Tindalos, Great Race of Yith, Color out of Space, Deep Ones.. etc)
    Unicorns
    Grave Knights or Death Knights
    Gremlins (steal food)
    Kaiju
    Deadly Plants
    Reapers
    Wisps
    Ghouls
    Gazer / Beholders
    Golems
    Drakes

That's a start

Schmidbauer, Leos, Tarsin and 6 others like this.
  3. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL just thinking of something that would make me PVP, want to play PVE, and i think that would depend on monsters that are a challenge, and are cool. :)

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Time Lord and Lord Lonn Bimmer like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@OP

Cloaker's also look like "cloaks" and may very well act like chest mimics. I'd like to see items that attack people after they've been inside your inventory for awhile. :)

Of course, I'd also like to see spells and skills that help players identify these non-items prior to this happening.

Jynx, Numa, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  7. Kell Frost Wyrm

Kell Frost Wyrm Avatar

Here's some ideas:

Siren: found along shores and cliffs, appears like a beautiful woman, but will turn into a monster when up close

Half Demons: Part human part demon, these creatures are weaker then demons, they take less damage from anti-demon attacks

Shifter: A shapeshifter that can appear as pretty much anything, would be a great storyline monster if it would pin a murder on the player

Lost soul: Somewhat similar to a wraith, won't always be hostile if they were good or neutral in life

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  8. Minchi

Minchi Avatar

I know types of monsters...such as demons, werebeasts, inanimate beings, spirits, headless fiends, parasitic creatures, humanoids, and more....

That should fit well on in SotA... :D

blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  9. NeeNee

NeeNee Avatar

I definitely love any ghosty/undead things to kill like wraiths, demons, those skeleton folks we already have. And I love the chest mimic-more shapeshifters/disguised creatures, please!

I don't like the idea of golems as baddies/mobs, personally. I wouldn't want to have to kill one, but maybe they can be companions? I just don't like the idea of having a specifically religious baddie.

HokageFont, blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  10. Minchi

Minchi Avatar

I'm thinking that a golem could be many types besides the typical one that is made of clay. I was thinking that there several others that are created from ancient race of technological beings that uses golems to mine iron deposits but with a wrong incantation that causes the golems to fuse with metal deposits and creating metal golems, that are highly obedient than the clay counter parts.

There could be another one underwater race that could create Mechanical like golems called Gruda, for mining material underneath on ocean floors but they are uncontrollable and they became extinct from them.

I would see demons would have several categories that forms the weak ones into extremely deadly commander types and then boss types o.o;;..

There are tons more but it will take time to for me to just post them all o.o;;;

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Killer Yorkie Poos! Yes, I have wrestled many in my day since owning one.

12. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

To keep in line with my other post under 'Healing" about "Curses"... (All images in this post link to Google Image Searched Images)

These creatures could be defined as specific races or based on a curse which needs to be removed.
    Werewolf - With the inclusion of 'Moongates' and moon cycles, this creature naturally fits.
    Vampires - With a day/night system in place this race could truly shine.
    Undead - Can be placed on a player as a curse. Would cause coming into town to be an adventure with town guards automatically chasing and/or attacking you on sight. (Maybe other players as well.)

I know these are traditional but they are still great curse based creatures. I also mentioned Polymorphed as a curse which could be anything.

As for other types of creatures that could be introduced....
    Minotaur - Either as a race (commonly encountered) or as a unique character in some kind of in game maze. (The maze could be an adventure in itself and maybe a doorway to minotaur lands.)
    Raksasha - Does not need to be specifically a Raksasha but they are an interesting and formidable race.
    Sphinx - Great historical creature which is often associated with riddles(quests). (Maybe with a twist)
    Black Unicorn - Unlike typical unicorns these could be Fanged and Flesh Eating mounts which have no love for humans of any gender.
    Windigo (Forest) - Hidden and hard to see as it blends in, in the forest. These creatures could be the things of nightmares that appear from the mist.

Click on links to see images of each.

13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Werechickens! Pretty sure thats what was in the Dev+ only room before the official pre-alpha. ;)

[​IMG]

I am hoping for more original type monsters than that standard go at stuff. At least taking traditional monsters and turning them on their ears to make them something new and interesting. I am also a fan of smaller, smarter/tougher mobs than hordes of creatures. I want to be an adventurer; not a lawn mower.

14. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

An entire town of WereNPCs and their WereAnimals. ;)

15. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

MONSTERS! I hope to see a nice bestiary in SotA that spans a variety of adversaries. Bring them a plenty: Giants, Golems, Trolls, Ettins, Ogres, Kobolds, Goblins, and undead a plenty. Wraiths, Skeletons, Spectres, Lich, and more.

I just don't want to see any duplicate monster meshes with a different color being called a completely different monster. That is the cheap and easy way out :)

16. Minchi

Minchi Avatar

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Wow love the minotaur i totally forgot about those!

18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Since my Killer Yorkie Poo idea was not taken by the community. The other type of monsters I would like to see are the ones in Celtic myths!

Dearg Due - an Irish name meaning “red blood sucker,” is a female demon that seduces men and then drains them of their blood.
    According to the Celtic legend, an Irish woman who was known throughout the country for her beauty, fell in love with a local peasant, which was unacceptable to her father.

The Dullahan - translated to “dark man". The Dullahan rides a headless black horse with flaming eyes, carrying his head under one arm. When he stops riding, a human dies. Some versions of this legend say that the Dullahan throws buckets of blood at people he passes, while other say he simply calls out the name of the mortal that will soon die.

Banshee - One of the most recognizable Celtic creatures, having made a guest appearance in “Darby O’Gill and the Little People” and all, the Banshee is a female spirit whose wail, if heard outside of a house, foretells the death of one of its inhabitants.

Balor - the demonic God of Death in Celtic mythology. Sporting one eye and a single gigantic leg, the evil creature was King of the Fomori, demons who lived in the dark depths of lakes and seas. Balor can kill someone just by staring at them with his evil eye, so he kept it closed most of the time, so as not to constantly be tripping over dead bodies.

Sluagh- dead sinners that come back as malicious spirits. These spirits come from the west, flying in groups like flocks of birds, and try to enter a house where someone is dying to take away that person’s soul.

Carman – the Celtic witch. Carman put a blight on Ireland’s crops and terrorized the Irish until the Tuatha De Danann, the “peoples of the goddess Danu,” used their magic to fight and defeat her, and drove her sons across the sea.

Kelpie - The kelpie galloped around Ireland, looking like a lost pony, attempting to trick women and children into riding on it. But the strange thing about this pony is that its mane would always be dripping with water. If a woman hopped on, the monster would then run into the water, drowning its victim, and then would take her to its lair to eat her.

Caorthannach - the Celtic fire-spitter

Leanan Sidhe - The fairy was a beautiful woman who was said to give inspiration to poets and musicians – but at the price of their lives.
    She would make the artist her lover, sharing with them her intelligence, creativity and magic, but when she left, the men would be so depressed, they'd die. Leanan Sidhe would then take her dead lovers back to her lair. Rather than directly suck the blood of her victims, Leanan Sidhe got creative, and collected their blood in a giant red cauldron, which was the source of her beauty and artistic inspiration.

Questing Beast - Another snake-like evil Celtic creature is the Questing Beast, a monster with the head of a snake, the body of a leopard, the backside of a lion and the hooves of a deer. The beast’s constant cry was said to sound like the bark of 30 dogs. This beast appears not only in the legends of King Arhtur, but also in Edmund Spenser’s epic tale “The Faerie Queene,” which in part, tackles the troubled relationship between England and Ireland in the 16th century.

Source: http://www.irishcentral.com/culture...mons-from-celtic-myth-67305337-237784881.html

19. Kell Frost Wyrm

Kell Frost Wyrm Avatar

I've had a idea for a rather disturbing quest monster, it would be a creature that would use illusions to lure children out of their homes so it could snatch and eat them.

It would pretty much operate like this:

But no creepy ass monster is complete without a evil lair:

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2012/10/9/oscar-horrors-setting-the-table-for-the-pale-man.html

The player would receive a quest to track down the creature after several children had disappeared in a village. You could attack the creature when it would try to grab a child, or you could follow it to its lair (you could potentially find more kids or loot here). It would try to bargain with you in its lair promising all sorts of riches (which are actually illusions created to kill you). The interior of the lair would provide a challenge in itself since the entrance would disappear the moment you entered and all sorts of illusions would be used against you.

Just think of the possibilities here:
    - Pits filled with the bones of its victims
    - Traps hidden within illusions
    - You could find a child in a cage, after picking it up it would be revealed to be a giant leech that starts feeding off you
    - Cages with real kids in them that are being fattened up for consumption
    - Facing the creature in the center of the lair would present a challenge since it keeps hiding itself after each attack

I reckon that it would be a unique creature, or as a species they would be really low in number.

20. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Anything that has to do with eating children I support 100%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.