Why all the Moderating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaltyRobot, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I do not claim one can never know. However being smart alone is not much help as it is for example quite simple to misinterpret a lack of conversational ability (non-native speakers, not the brightest sheep in the flock, etc.) or a lack of reading comprehension for intentional derailment. Establishing the facts is quite hard when you do not know whom you are talking with.

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Ya, you'd think so, wouldn't you? I sure think it should set off some red flags. But there are groups known to jump on others in an organized fashion (post pvp), calling other posters trolls, or to go away, or to stop posting, or any number of blatant or passive comments. And some of those comments are left in threads, because I usually don't even bother reporting them. Because I don't think there should be such heavy handed moderating, and mods have better stuff to do than pry apart fighting people.

I figure that when people behave a certain way, they hang themselves. I don't understand why a mod would need to constantly delete or hide posts unless they are outright threats or personal attacks.

tamino, BillRoy and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Be that as it may. It was stated as a reason for moderation.. but no implication was made in regard to frequency or specific examples given. So I'm not sure why there is a need to hang on this one reason.

4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I was once in a thread where there had been heated debate several times, with several general warnings to the thread (not to me personally). Somehow we started joking around and making sarcastic remarks that weren't entirely on topic but a natural topic drift. I had a post removed, not because it was inflammatory, but having too much fun, as apparently having fun and camaraderie were off topic!

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm actually quite fond of letting someone hang themselves. I've seen a lot of ugly comments and "heated debate" over the last 14-15 months or so. I never once felt compelled enough to report anyone to actually do it until recently. It only makes you look bad when you resort to name calling and accusations etc and what's more, everyone can see it for themselves in context. But if someone reports it or a moderator comes across it on their own.. well it's their job. If they want to do their job that's fine by me too.

I'd rather have this level of moderation than none at all. I think it says a lot of Portalarium (in a good way). It's hard to show you respect your community if you allow your community to disrespect each other.

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Bowen Bloodgood

I can only say to those who complain about being moderated "unfairly" check thyself before blaming moderators.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Very true Bowen. I myself recently deleted one of my own posts within one of the idea mega-threads where I had placed a vid-clip of Father Guido Sarducci because I felt that the vid may cause distress to another adamant posting member that wished to bring Christianity into our game and maybe even disturb some of our Catholic members.
    I've "self moderated" many times now and never regretted "doing it to myself" o_O
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    CaptainJackSparrow

Cool! Where was it merged to? Captain Jack has no notifications in his Inbox which tell him it was merged into or that his report was responded to. Maybe there are bugs with the forum?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Yes there are bugs in the forums. *hence all the strange ~TL~ quoting method :confused: and my inability to edit o_O
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    FireLotus

I'll clear it up here if you would like. The post was merged with another on the same topic, which was also noted on your report. Case closed. If you ever have a question, all you have to do is ask. :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Choice of merged topics clearly in error.... "what do you mean you're not perfect?" I was under the impression that you were one of RG's automated answering devices ;)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    CaptainJackSparrow

Captain Jack reported his post yesterday so that he may be told what he did wrong :( No answer, just a deletion :(

if it were an older post, Captain Jack may have never even noticed at all though!

Captain Jack thonks automatic notification is required to prevent issues like his.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    I would have preferred that Jack's thread to have been merged with the flogging we had already in progress in enderandrew's "goodbye" thread o_O No sense spreading it out or finding a convenient rug to sweep Jack's thread under o_O
    Maybe the other older thread could have been merged with Jack's thread so Jack's poll could have been preserved... but then it's getting sort of all messy at that point :(
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

Lastly, I want to mention that I've seen RG go out of his way to encourage dissent. He seems to understand that you can't be an effective visionary if you live in a silo. I think that's reflected here in these forums, and it's important to remember that it would be much easier to just censor and ignore people. They're working hard to do the opposite.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    The Baron Drocis is correct in his RG observations in my opinion. I believe that RG loves a good hammering of the steel to bang out any dents that need straitening out.
    yet I also believe that when the same opinion is stated more than 3-4 times by any single posting member... it's a protest and not a dissenting view.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ristra

I take it you don't have dev+ access. If you could see the PvP and Death mega threads in there people really did not like the first draft. They were vocal and blunt. I can't think of anyone that needed to be moderated. I may have missed it because I don't watch 24/7 but it's obvious that some people can make their points without breaking the forum rules.

Mistakes happen, poster and moderator alike. A slight misinterpretation can have things getting moderated. A few posts up you can see what I mean. All it takes is a private message conversation to sort things out.

The moderators are not trying to oppress disagreeing viewpoints.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Ristra is correct... Yet I do believe that Dev+ needs a bit more freedom of expression over the general public area for the hammering out of ideas. I also feel that as in our mega-thinking-threads, that some of these threads could be publicly released after the topic or thread has gone dormant. I feel that these need to be made public, because of the subject's need to be further developed, enhanced or commented on.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ultima Codex

SaltyRobot said:
    These forums are very very rarely moderated.​
    SaltyRobot said:
    I do not like how much this forum is moderated.​
    These statements seem to contradict. Or do you mean that your preference is for a fully unmoderated forum?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    I love you Ultima Codex. I want to send you milk and cookies, but I would have moderated myself for such a post or moderated yours for trolling.
    :) But it's a great example of how personal human judgment and the alternate sides of what anyone can perceive as being a "this way or that way" can be far different...
    This has been "The New Britannia Time's Update" with your host,
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:
    X

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

@TL After doing a recent search I found the way to be able to edit and quote again is to use compatibility mode. (Except now I can't see any videos. ha! Which doesn't matter since I can't watch them with my bandwidth limits anyway).

BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  8. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Father Guido Sarducci! lol, I used to watch some of his stuff in the past and I always found it to be in good jest. I was never offended by it, but just thought it was funny. Like one time he did a thing where the Pope supposedly "lost his wallet". He was on the prowl interviewing bystanders and inquiring about the Popes lost wallet. I could see how some of his content may offend very devout religious folks though.

BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Bowen Bloodgood

@TL After doing a recent search I found the way to be able to edit and quote again is to use compatibility mode. (Except now I can't see any videos. ha! Which doesn't matter since I can't watch them with my bandwidth limits anyway).
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Thanks Bowen :)
    I'm hoping that my editing problem will soon be solved by my coming new desk computer which will allow me to also be in game. Currently my MSI CR650 lap top just doesn't cut it, or the current monitoring of outgoing and incoming communications of Thailand will be lifted and solve many of my problems. Living in paradise has it's price, which goes to show everyone here that it sometimes takes moderation to achieve a lasting peace such as Thailand's as well as in our New Britannia Forums ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Bounty hunter here! :) Ill try to save you Capt Jack! In other news i think i am one of the most talked too, by moderators, sometimes i see thier reasoning but most of the time i do not, and yes i have been banned before for sticking up for myself in the forums against the fanatic PVE/Semi PVE people. i was banned for a month, then let back on, alot of my posts get deleted, alot of the time i dont agree since i was just sticking up for myself or others, then im told well they get banned and posts deleted too (very little deletion if you agree with everything) that is my opinion, I have however had some decent Mods that talked to be and explained why it was deleted and i was in agreement (with that certain MOD) and deleted it myself. I can admit when i go too far, but when i see the other half going too far, it seems to me nothing happens and if it does is very seldom, and that i can honestly say was based on the "i worship the ground all the devs and mods and RG walk upon" I think everyone, inculding the moderators need to understand that without our money all of us, this game would not happen! So my advice double check why your deleting posts, double check why your banning people, and for the public in this game reread your posts and see why things got out of hand, and could it possibly be your fault things went in the directions it did, maby you need to go back and delete your own posts!? (i have done that in the past with mine) every one needs to understand 2 things we all paid for the game, and all of our playstyles are represented, in however way. So try not to jump on people in the forums for not agreeing with you in your ways, it goes both ways so we should be able to tell how we feel in our opinion about whatever. Just respect that, and you will avoid getting deleted or banned, i too dont like alot, but ive learned, I quote "the ROCK" - "It doesnt matter what you think!" eventually our paths will cross all of us, it could be good or bad depending on where in the game we meet, and how we treat each other on here keep that in mind!

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

That was one of the most positive threads i read if were talking about the same one! Stay, things will get better etc... even I can have some compassion!

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I believe you and i met in a heated PVP thread and when we started talking, we realized we actually have common ground :) so there it is how a heated thread can make opposites still be friends (trust me she dont like full loot pvp) lol

Bodhbh Dearg, Caliya, BillRoy and 2 others like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The editing problem should be your browser. The forum hasn't yet been updated to be fully compatible with IE11. That's my problem.

Time Lord and Lord Trenyc like this.
  14. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's not fully compatible with the most recent versions of Chrome or Firefox, either. I don't think I've ever gotten scroll bars when editing posts in any browser. Granted, I haven't thoroughly tested it, but it's something you notice after the eleventy hundredth time. :p

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

This is exactly right. In fact some forums have a specific rule about excessive reporting. Moderators are very well aware of who the "chicken littles" are on any forum. And with the exception of certain forums that are nothing but flaming cesspools, the chronic report-button mashers are quickly moderated themselves. Moderators are people like the rest of us, yet there are those who insist on assigning some sort of nefarious motives to them or imagining some sort of organized conspiracy going on that the mods are too dumb to see.

16. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Have you tried different browsers? This forum is still broken on my Firefox. if I reply to a tread with a quote.... it triple spaces lines between Return breaks. But internet explorer, it does not.

haha... You know it too. :) I've observed it first hand.

If you feel you have been unfairly moderated, you need to contact support. This happened to my brother once and I had to email support (which was replied to by someone I will not name) and they gave me run around answers. So I email support again and this time included dallas, darkstarr and firelotus.

I dont know what happened in the background but they put up a post in PvP clarifying rules... a little. They are defiantly working on it, but someone is water daming the issue from getting high enough up for them to know there is an issue and being able to fix it. You really need to ping dallas or darkstarr. Then typically they will give firelotus some resources to investigate. At least that is what I have been experiencing.

Also seems to happen to peoples pro-Open PvP posts. I look for issues or harsh words and typically dont find any. But they are working on it. I was told my one of the dev team.

EDIT: Fixed my misquote.
    Edited by FireLotus to remove a moderated quote.

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  17. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Did you intend to quote me there? The response doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I said.

Sir Mike Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  18. Mow-fold

Mow-fold Avatar

I have to agree with Bill and Doom for the "most" part.

There is clearly no conspiracy here per se, however I am new, but skimming over this thread for only a few minutes shows a clear trend at least in what people think. What I believe our English challenged friend might be suggesting is:
    Act with Virtue:Disagreeing with someone is perfectly alright. Telling them you are going to explain it again to them the same way you explain things to your toddler is not. This is the most common rule people swear they weren’t breaking. But even a thinly veiled insult, innuendo, or snarky comeback can be meant disrespectfully. And yes, this includes embedding meme’s and youtube videos that depict the disrespect for you.
    and
    Speak with Virtue: I talked a bit about the cussing earlier, but to restate, this rule is also being broken if you link to inappropriate content, images, or videos hosted on another website. And I must point out that cuss words are not the only language that will not be tolerated. Calling people, (even the Dev Team) liars, cheats, stupid, incompetent, etc is considered a personal attack of character and is never appropriate.

Those were taken from the rules. If the staff here are going to hold the posters under the spotlight they should be able to stand up against the same standards, which that post certainly does not. Let he who is without sin slam the first ban hammer!

19. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

I think I did misqoute. I was going to quote your quote I believe.

20. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Ahh. That makes waaaay more sense then. :D

Sir Mike Dragon and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.