Light Spell Lampshade

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Gubbles, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I have a request -- implement some sort of lampshade effect on the Light Spell. I can't stop staring at the levitating sphere of light when its dark out. I've gotten used to the glare, but it is somewhat distracting.

I think it would be cool if the brightest light was at a ~ 230 degree angle, and beyond that the light would become more diffused and fade to a dark spot. The light could track the direction of the camera, this way the dark spot of the sphere would be visible from the player perspective. As an additional effect, the sphere could average the camera movement in its tracking, and lag behind half a second or so -- I think it would give the sphere a more supernatural feel to it, as if it were alive and responding to my movements by compensating for the direction it focused its light relative to the direction of the camera.

Its late, so I don't know if this makes much sense, but in any case, the sphere below hopefully gives you an idea of what I imagine the sphere might look like as a light source. I found this on google, so its not angled like I had hoped for, but basically if you picture yourself behind the dark spot of the sphere, where the light is emanating from the lighter colored portion, that is basically my thought behind all of this.

[​IMG]

2. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

You... you mean... a light spell that actually illuminates the surroundings instead of blinding it's creator?

How novel.

3. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

My sarcasm meter is indicating a positive reading. But, yes :)

4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Mind you, the exact DEGREE of sarcasm cannot be determined, as the aforementioned meter was not designed to handle sarcasm on this scale, but the way the indicator needle fired through the glass and imbedded itself six feet into a concrete overpass suggests there WAS definitely sarcasm there.

5. Avatar Aiden

My melodrama meter is indicating a positive reading. :p

6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Once again, the sheer scope of the reading defeats your instrument. You see the needle slam against the right side of the meter, and then, impossibly, begin to carve into it, forcing it's way around in a full circle before returning to the gauge. In your mind's eye you catch a glimpse of an ego, so vast, so profoundly full of itself, that it was as if a ship had been built that could sail straight into a continent, and, rather than crashing, or even slowing, would simply carve a new river across that continent, never even seeming to note the damage it caused in so doing.

Shaking your head, you try to convince yourself that NO-ONE could be that supremely unconcerned with other people's criticism. Everybody cares what other's think of them, right?

7. Avatar Aiden

[​IMG]

This is a conundrum!

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

There is an advisory tatoo'd on me not to attempt to bring Bullshit Detectors within five miles of me.

9. Avatar Aiden

Ah an Avatar of Chaos then.

Well hopefully you prefer outcomes that lead to Good or the Positive than Evil or the Negative.

10. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

If that were so, I wouldn't be a very good avatar of Chaos, now would I?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.