Stretch-Goal Store + Pledge = win/win

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bohica, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Instead of that scenario, lets think of those who have already pledged, but wish they could have pledged to a stretch goal instead. It can go both ways......

Being able to melt pledges into stretch goal "donations/purchases" would be fair. (i guess)

BillRoy, Time Lord and Olahorand like this.
  2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Adding credit to pledging is the only way i see these stretch-goals being met.

Think about it, you are "pledging" for the development to the game. If your "pledge" is also credited to a particular feature ( as in pack mounts which is part of development), I think you will get more people pushing for those features.

Pledges and stretch-goal purchases should be one in the same. Those who do not wish to fund particular (or any) stretch-goals, do not need to attach their pledge to a goal.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

I don't see this happening or viable. They need money to develop the game and their trying to give players a chance to add additional features that had no intent of making episode 1 originally. By trying to split pledges and goals their taking away from that development and spreading themselves too thin. Also by the looks of it, they are slightly underfunded with many changes proposed by the community over the months. It's best to leave it the way it is even if they don't end up being funded, at least the primary funds don't take away from the main development.

smile1930 and Time Lord like this.
  4. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

If you look at the bigger picture, for us to have Portalarium create us a game post-Kickstarter, Portalarium needed to have raised 1 million dollars. Currently we are 4 million+, if you think our request in these forums counts for the additional 3 MILLION dollars then i think you are mistaken. They are not over budget, unless they are paying there 33 employees 100,000 a year which is doubtful.

Lets break it down a bit more, if mounts cost $250,000, what is the additional $3,000,000 being spent on? Facilities? Computers? Employees? If you are about to tell me that $3,000,000 is not enough to implement what we request on these forums and that an additional $250,000 (1/4 of a million dollars) is needed for mounts, the I think I am in the wrong business.

5. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

It all comes down to the fact that it requires additional time for development and upkeep costs, due to many changes and improvements from community feedback. Also I believe it was stated the game needed 5-7 million and the kick starter only stated 1 million to get it started.

The game will be made but if it's a POS game wanted then keep pushing for funds to be thinned out, or for funds to stop coming in. I'm no game developer but I'm sure their doing the best job they can while accommodating the feedback from the community and giving opportunities for people to help enhance the end product.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Actually 1 million is all that was needed to create a game. As per Kickstarter rules, if the goal is met then you must deliver. We can all speculate on goals past the 1 million mark, but it is a shady area that ALL features requested from the forums cost the additional 3 MILLION, but a simple feature like mounts cost $250,000. I wonder, how much did comabt cost? PvP? Houses?

BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  7. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

Like I said, 1 mil will get you a bare minimum game as promised. If you want something amazing it will need at least 5-7 as stated somewhere. A game is one thing. A good game is a different thing. Better quality, more money.

Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  8. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

As in where? in the smoke screen of Dev talk that makes one believe that 1 million "just wasn't enough" ?

BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  9. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

Do you honestly think any "good" game these days can be made with only 1 million? Cause that doesn't do much these days especially in this economy. A game sure, may not be good.

As far as where, only heard it can't remember where.

I believe any "good" game would need at least 25 million. Games these days cost over 100 million in cases. But that's my own thoughts. MMO's require a lot of work.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

With that logic, Portalarium was out to make a terrible game at the expense of their fans for a lowly sum of 1 million dollars.... I don't buy it.

If this is the case.. the what the F**k are we doing here......

BillRoy, Caliya and Time Lord like this.
  11. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

It's a business and business are out to make money, even if it's to deliver a product their passionate about. Investing in the game is a risk and something that should require careful consideration since it's not a final product.

I tend to follow Star citizen more but in their case the kick starter was 500k I think. Chris Roberts said the final product needed at least 22 million. Just a piece of info. Kick starters are more to get the project going and completed at bare minimum needs before adding additional personal investment, crowdfunding or private investors.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Once again by your logic... we should NEVER back kistarters.

BillRoy, Caliya and Time Lord like this.
  13. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

Not exactly, depends on your evaluation of the level of risk involved in investing. I think it was worth it and a few other projects as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I think we have reached a point of diminishing returns with add-ons, stretch goals, et al. The backer community is largely tapped out and/or unwilling to put additional money on the game in its current state. The stretch goal implementation is a creative one, but it appears highly unlikely that any of the goals will be met in time for release, if ever. There is only so much blood that can be squeezed from the turnip, but Portalarium seems determined to do everything they can to suck it dry.

BillRoy, Caliya, Swanman and 3 others like this.
  15. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I just kind of want Portalarium to take my money and *make a game.*

The questions about which pledge tiers give what and how big or small the houses or lots are or which individual features get funded by this that or the other dilute focus.

I believe the largest threat to SotA, both from a conceptual design and a logistical implementation standpoint, is that it is simply trying to do too much. I'd prefer to have fewer new features and see more polish of what's there. I could look at R6 and project forward and easily imagine what the game would look like, say, March 2015, and it looks awesome... but that's only if Portalarium keeps its eyes on the prize and doesn't get itself distracted.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I wouldn't ever think you could make a good game with 1 million. It will take between 28-30 mil to make our game by the end of all episodes at least. Who wants a 1Mil game. I know I don't. There is so much extras unimaginable to some non developers, legal fees, probably many other legal things that are truly unknown to me. I don't question the cost. Portalarium has my trust. I want a great game. I don't want it created to be limited on a budget that won't allow it to be as great as it possibly can be. I have mentioned Vanguard Saga of Heroes, what a mess that was and such a great game with so many bugs and undoneness about it. Very sad, such a crying shame. Stretch goals, while I do think they could be more thought out are incentives to get the money into making the game. I want it made. I will cheer it on. I say keep putting things in the store. This game will be amazing. I do not want it to be held back.

Noctiflora, NRaas, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  17. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

If you want a sense of how much a well-managed game cost, take a look at Shadowrun Returns. It was perfectly scoped. Harebrained Schemes raised $1.8 million and delivered $1.8 million worth of game.

Given the scope Portalarium is now going for, $4 million feels like it's on the skimpy side, actually.

BillRoy, StaReaver and Time Lord like this.
  18. Ravel

Ravel Avatar

I believe that pledge tiers are a perfect way to divide your in game community and to create first rank, second rank, etc. players. I am still wondering what solution will be implemented to solve this problem.

Gracekain likes this.
  19. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

My problem is, that if i want to pledge 100 to a stretch goal, i would get 5 horses?

Maybe we should kickstart a stretch goal. I would be OK if my $$ get stuck until the goal is reached. If we get the goal, i would be happy to know that my $$ was spent in the feature a i really wanted to get done. If not, why shouldnt it go to my pledge?

Sorry for my bad english xD

Gracekain likes this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Im a huge supporter of this game, in fact I have pumped more cash into this than I did into UO over the last 15 years........and I'm still pumping.

I have no problem at all with stretch-goals being separate and money being 'ring-fenced'........what I do question is the amount of money that is required to be raise for each goal.

$300k for elves? $250k for mounts? $100k pack animals?

This is a serious amount of cash......I have to throw it out there....does it really cost that much?? I mean I don't know the price of hiring staff over in the states, my best guess is that $300k could buy you maybe 3-4 staff on a 6 month contracts?

Im really struggling in my mind to make these stack up.......although I have placed a small amount down for the mounts, In hindsight I probably wished I hadn't ........ These goals feel too expensive in comparison to what they actually are and the work required. They feel so unachievable that they are just a turn off.

BillRoy, Caliya, Lord Lorimus and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.