Toughest Decision to Make on Housing Based on my play style

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by blaquerogue, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

The tough decision i came up with was if i should upgrade my pledge? The reason i haven't done it yet is because I may not like the outcome of PVP when all is said and done! It sucks because i want to Upgrade, but i am very hesitant on dropping a lot more money on something i may not like!
    This is not a pvp thread or anything like it ( this is a person preference of play), so if your going to grief this post, just don't post!
    I was wondering how many others out there are having a hard time figuring out if they want to pledge more based on whether pvp and combat in general will be worth playing or not. I wish they would come out with more combat oriented stuff to help let me know exactly how its going to work and what the monsters and NPCs are going to be like and what the loot will be like, or even how much a house/lot will cost in "game money."
    I really dont have alot of time to grind for gold. so it may be best to buy a house and lot now, so i dont have to worry about the grind later. Still im hesitant on how combat oriented stuff is going to work out in this game.​

Kheldras, Mercyful Fate, Numa and 7 others like this.
  2. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

If I were in your position I would probably hold off. If you don't like the pvp, you won't be out as much. But if you find later that you want to stick around and get a house I'd imagine that it will still be possible to find someone selling. Worst case when episode 2 launches there will be more property added and I'm sure available to buy as cash or in game gold. That's what I would do anyway.

Edited for poor spelling.

3. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

am in the same boat as you right now .
    i really need to see and experience the full combat module ( the card game ) before i can state that it is a game i will enjoy .
    will probeplie wait for open beta (or equivalent of it) before i can say if i woud really like the game long term.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A perfectly valid position. One must measure risk vs. reward on their own personal scale and decide the level of commitment for themselves based on their own personal scale of value.

5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Well said.......

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

My basic problem with the whole thing is that I'd rather earn the house. Have a guild capture a city and then have to build up and defend that city, all through game mechanics.

The whole idea of buying houses, or worse buying towns, runs counter to this. Especially if lot selection priority matters, because it means people don't move.

Then I don't understand if there will be "good" and "evil" towns or faction towns or what. It all makes no sense for a game with PvP, unless that PvP is truly meaningless arenas or jacking around in the woods, fighting over pants.

If I had to do it over, I would have pledged next to nothing without really hearing about why/what/how stuff gets earned in game.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok i think i have finally found my niche in the game! Im excited about playing now, with whatever mechanics are involved..... If you havent already check this out my new occupation in SoTA..............

Arena/Gladiator Tourneys "Gladiator Games"

9. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I'd hold off, all we have now is a misty, unshaped promise of things to come. That's what all our money has gone into so far.
    Payment after the goods have been inspected.
    And it's not a popular sentiment, but most of us know that not all of RG's projects worked out in the past. Who knows if this one will?

Housing based on my Play-Style.
    I came here to fight, not play Doll-House.
    The Sims is a fine game, but the fighting isn't up to my standards.
    I'll put Zero dollars into this game until after I see if it is even worth playing, because at this point, we can't honestly say if it will be...not from a fighter's perspective.

10. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Well if you are to be the new "Games Master" of SoTA, then you need an office type structure with an arena to screen new fighters. Perhaps a villa like in "Spartacus: Blood and Sand."

11. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

My wife and I are Founders at the Patron and Ancestor levels, respectively. This was before the row house announcement. Now, I'll probably upgrade her to Ancestor just so she can decorate her own row house.

However, housing is not the primary motivation for me - PvP is - and until I see both solid and major advancements in this area I'm not investing any more money into this game nor are my guild mates. If this game bombs then we've limited our losses.

Most of the PvPers that used to post frequently have disappeared. No interest = no more additional funding for Portalarium. IMO, that is the main reason we now see Portalarium with a new accelerated PvP schedule. They can only hit up the citizen+ backers so many times with housing upgrades before that well runs dry.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  12. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

In another game (a few come to mind), I would find it easier to agree with this. I think this encourages zerg PvP guilds absent mechanics aimed specifically at preventing zerging (i.e. structuring guild PvP) and I don't think that is a focus of the Devs nor do we need to add that burden in my view. Would there be another mechanism to earn a guild city for a crafting or RP guild that doesn't focus on PvP? Once the free for all zerging starts, it essentially shuts out the rest of the community to that content in the game if the rest of the community does not follow suit. I would rather see guild PvP be more of a side quest.

I think I understand most of the general sentiments and share many. It is a little early to tell but it seems to me that Portalarium is potentially walking a fine line that may make it difficult for a unified community to develop due to the many potential socioeconomic divisions over and above the traditional play style divisions.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It's always PvP. Because some component of land is zero sum. And thus you compete. This doesn't necessarily mean PvP Combat. The first pieces of land given out in this game were people making videos and baking cakes. But that's still a competition. Just like a bidding war or whatever.

I look at it like Civilization, there are many paths to victory. Combat is only one of them.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Lord Marshal Hall at the top of a hill on a city lot with the city arena.... minimum :)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

That is fine; however, Civilization is a single player game so there needs to be no balance between the different paths to victory since the player can choose to challenge themselves as they see appropriate. That is the beauty of single player games... balance between play styles is not necessary. The metaphor is further complicated by the fact that a single definition of "victory" is nebulous at best in a sandbox MMO. If we simplify the issue for sake of argument and say a guild city is victory during the course of this discussion then you still have to balance all the noncombatant paths to victory with the PvP path to victory as soon as the player leaves SPO mode.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Actually, what's great is that you don't. Because in PvP, there is no easy or hard.

You simply have different cities which turn over different ways. And some cities which use a combination.

Again, if you don't care, then you don't care. No one says that everyone had to care about living in some big castle. You can RP a farmer and raise crops all day. Competition is there for people who enjoy competition.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.