SotA Dressing now to shy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I basically think a piece of the game dies every time something shows up in the store. Because it removes the mechanic from where it belongs.

Imagine Civilization "Greeks discover linen. Flax resources will now appear on the map." So some game mechanic allows one culture, through a combination of luck, skill, and deliberate focus to do one level of unlocking, and then slowly this technology can spread via a number of mechanisms.

rild, Xandra7 and Time Lord like this.
  2. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I'm not very pleased with the current female options. It's not a modesty or lack thereof issue to me... they are just very bland. Female clothes can be fully covering and/or not ridiculously form fitting, but still be unique, interesting, beautiful, pleasing to look at. I ran around nekkid in the releases not for attention, but because I didn't like the leather or cloth armor at all o_O The dresses I saw were pretty typical as well. Maybe it's realistic, but, it's still bland to look at in a game. I'm hoping for more variety later. I would really like to see some gypsy-style clothing.

I wouldn't mind seeing scantier options as long as the male avatars get the same treatment. :cool:

rild, Khloec, Bodhbh Dearg and 10 others like this.
  3. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Agreed. Well, about 95% agreed, I did actually quite like the green 'merchant' 2-piece dress. And I would love to see some nice gypsy-style stuff as well. I am actually quite sad that the clothing will be limited to one shirt, one pants/skirt... most modded UO shards I have played on had multi-layering which led to some amazing and creative diversity in clothing.

But that last bit? That's important. Skimpy, unrealistic clothing for the women is much less offensive if there are similar options for the men.

An exerpt from one of the articles we have over on GamerXP:

4. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

NirAntae, Dame Lori. :)

I give it a shot. I guess 100% that this Styling hits both of your taste. :)

It is related to medieval styling and it is unique, interesting, beautiful, pleasing to look at.
    We are New Britannia, not earth, so it can have a more modern touch. I mean Richard said we have some steampunk hints even.

The costumes in A Knight's Tale were designed by Caroline Harris

Some examples below, but here is the link to more: http://www.costumersguide.com/imagearchive/index.php?/category/310
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soleidad, rild, Khloec and 6 others like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Those are better examples imo, Myrcello :) A good compromise between 'real' medieval clothing/styles and a more modern sense of 'sexy'.

You've really got me thinking about this subject now XD

One thing that has led to so many misconceptions about modesty/provocativeness, is the very question of layering.

For instance, one of the most revealing/provocative pieces of clothing, at first glance, is the ghawazee coat, which tends to literally outline the bust:

[​IMG]

However... it wasn't worn by itself, it was layered with one (or more!) under-pieces:

[​IMG]

Depending on whether you used a choli top underneath or a solid underdress, you might end up with a little skin showing, but not very much:

[​IMG]

However, despite being quite covered, it is still extremely provocative and sexy, especially if the one wearing it is a belly dancer. With the long sleeves and the accentuation of the bust, it does very interesting things when dancing. o.o

And so on.

People will look at a bodice, which is meant to be the outermost layer of 2, 3, even 4 layers, and see how revealing it would be, and assume there was tons of skin showing (or at least want to see people wearing just said bodice), while in historical reality nothing but face and hands showed. With layering, wearing just the bodice when wanting to be provocative is possible, of course, but if it is a single item you have to pick on item creation (or have multiple versions of the same item).

Soleidad, rild, Saosis and 7 others like this.
  6. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

NirAntae, those are great examples of what I would love to see in game!

Soleidad, rild, Sir Cabirus and 5 others like this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Can't we have a Xena costume as a stretch goal?? ...... Seriously I would back it :D

smack, Time Lord and Myrcello like this.
  8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Looks like we have a problem as the current state of the clothing does not give a lot of layering options.

9. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I agree with this... I think maybe the current clothing is a bit too puritanical. I would like to see some sleeveless armor models so that we could add our own bracers or gauntlets. Side slit skirts so you could see those thigh high boots.... You can make stuff look hot and whimsical without it turning smutty.

So far everyone is dressed like my grandma at a funeral!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myrcello, Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  11. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I actually agree, but only as long as a tin bikini does not offer the same protection as a full set of plate mail armour.

12. languard

languard Avatar

13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think maybe they could account for that with an 'activation roll' mechanism. Full Plate/Leather/Cloth with helmet has a 100% chance to apply mitigation. A chain mail bikini would have 20% or something.

Wearing the item would provide any benefits associated with the gear (spell casting speed or characteristic bonus or whatever) but it might not be great at its primary function (damage mitigation) due to a lack of coverage....

Either way I do believe that the current clothing could be a bit more... Attractive is not the word I'm looking for since it looks good for what it is.... Sexy in a non-smutty way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Lord and Myrcello like this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm having a "gentleman's club" in my village.......really need some female clothes that doesn't make them look like guys ;)

Its not all about fighting and armer you know :)

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

BTW.....big thumbs up to Sexy and Smutty...........we need options!

Myrcello and Time Lord like this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I agree with what some others have said - if it's going to be revealing, it should not have the same stats as full armor.

I also think it can be modest but sexy. Elegant and seductive. I only did a minimal cursory glance online, to pull up some of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Retro, Siili, Soleidad and 11 others like this.
  17. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Siili, Ned888, Caliya and 2 others like this.
  18. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Who said we are going for a real world feel? We already have that in our real lives. This game is our escape, Our playground, a chance to play around with self expression in an unreal world. I do not want this to be real life. The dowdy clothes are only one person's self expression. Others will come to this game in another way of thinking. I don't say go to the extreme of tera where the higher your level the less clothes you have on, but give me a break regarding the clothes that hide all femininity. This needs to be a game with choices at least and I do not choose the current design of clothing.

Khloec, Myrcello, Raffy and 3 others like this.
  20. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Myrcello at the FireLotus Tavern Party R7 -

On this Video you see Arianna dancing in a potential nice dress. Hope they ad such.
    And yes. To make it fair, create for the males scotish dress.

[​IMG]

I had only good intentions staring at Arianna.. i promise!

licemeat, rild, Sir Cabirus and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.