Player-Ran Towns Welcome Quest Idea

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Duke Gréagóir, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

One thing I think that will be beneficial when the game is persistent with the player-ran towns in place is to have every 6 months a "Welcome quest" that the player-ran towns set up.

My idea is that each r of each player-ran town gets together one night/afternoon and sets up a quest that each player playing SotA will need to complete by visiting each town.

So on February 7, 2015 we have 10 player-ran towns (just an example) that are participating in this quest.

Joe the player visits the first town PaxLair to start the quest and sees Winfield. Winfield talks to Joe and says, "find the Large Druid Tree at "Celtic Holdfast". Talk to the Grand Druid there to get your next clue."

Joe searches the "Celtic Holdfast" and finds Duke Greagoir, the Grand Druid. Duke Greagoir says, "Well met Joe. Bring a fresh cut mandrake root. I will mix it and give you a potion.". Joe finds a mandrake root and harvests it and brings it back to Duke Greagoir. Duke Greagoir says, "Thank you. Here is your potion and bring it to Vallas in The Bear Tavern found in the city of Bearn's Reach..

Joe goes to the next town on the list and so forth, and at the end he ends up with 1 potion, a new crafted sword, a jug of beer, etc. One item from all of the Player-Ran towns.

Each 6 months (or so) new towns are added and the towns wanting to participate meet again and set the day and time of the quest.

Thoughts?

The One, Net, Numa and 18 others like this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm all for these kind of things if player towns are earned through in game mechanics. It seems weird if player towns are just RMT.

Lord Trenyc, wagram and Time Lord like this.
  3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That would be really cool but might require some modifications. If a player is sent to meet Winfield, for example, what happens if Winfield is on vacation or just isn't able to sign on much? Or what happens if the quest-doer lives in Australia while the quest-objective lives in Canada?

kiamzonm, Time Lord, smack and 2 others like this.
  4. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

This is a great idea. It is a bit like a "tour" but through a quest. This could also be opened up for popular establishments too for the quest trail.

A challenge to overcome may be getting the "actors" in the towns to be around at the same time so we don't have to use NPCs. Face to face interaction is the best! And we'd have to run this maybe 3 times in a given day to ensure people world-wide can participate.

There may be some static ways to do this too... people buy a book, like a travel guide, and they go on the tour/adventure at their own pace. I imagine the travel guide will be a regular hit anyway, just like http://sotatravelguide.com.

Your concept is great and I think a regular tour/quest/see-the-towns type activity really helps new people and the towns too.

Net, Fireangel, rild and 7 others like this.
  5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I really like this idea, as it helps foster a sense of community :D

Fireangel, rild, Lord Trenyc and 3 others like this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Lord Trenyc,
    Sorry I was not more clear the event would be on Saturday from 2-4pm CST. This date and time would be set by the town's that volunteered into the event.

The One, rild, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  7. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Ah ok, if times are set that could work out quite wonderfully. :D Let's do it!

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

There is a note in the "current thinking" that scene ownership will be unlockable using in-game means, so you should be fine there.

I expect that once those type of towns start appearing, they will want to participate in these sort of events as well. :)

9. smack

smack Avatar

This is a fantastic idea and would love to participate in something like this. Clearly there would need to be some coordination for such a large player-run event but if it could be pulled off, then it would be an awesome show of community driven content for the game.

10. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Can we try this in R7? Sunday or Saturday?

11. Duke Gréagóir

Sunday will work for me next weekend.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Great idea and well worth pursuing! It's these types of community events that make player-run towns so much fun.

It's nice to see a number "towns" being introduced by members, to me, this is where the fun will be after finishing the storyline in one episode and awaiting the next.

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I will check with Vallas to see if he's available then...

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm very sorry that I won't be able to participate, yet;

This sounds like the first SotA 20K Run. So, if you have a beginning and ending point at the same place and the player brings back all the items from all the check points and returns to the starting point ... that player's start time and finish time can be accurately measured and recorded.
    This serves a dual purpose then as a sort of "Ping Speed Test" that can yield results for other player to get an idea of their connection speed/computer processing speed or whatever...then this information about his/her equipment can be reported on and recorded here in the forums.

Just a thought for the "quest's enhancement" ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It might be challenging to make this happen in pre-alpha releases before player towns are actually implemented. I know some towns have particular hexes that they usually call home, but most of the towns that people have been buying have just been formed between R6 and now and don't have a recognized in-game presence yet.

That said, if we are going to make a run of this for R7, I'd love to participate. :)

16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Never a bad idea to do practice runs. We could just form a few small groups to go and hang in some other towns and do the runs like that, with our "stand in " towns.

17. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Sounds like a great idea...I wonder how soon we will get to see our towns in the release schedule. I have a question to be answered about quests in our towns and resources etc...to bring people there...This would also help accomplish getting visitors to our towns.

18. lock426

lock426 Avatar

I'd be interested in participating with my town. Unfortunetly I'll be moving or without internet for most of R7 so I can't help this time.

19. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

Sounds like a fantastic idea. :)

20. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

I will be in Vallas' place if he's not available, plus a few of our members I'm sure are excited to take part in this. I will be there next Sunday as long as it's not too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.