Player-Ran Towns Welcome Quest Idea

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Duke Gréagóir, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I put up the following gathering times for PaxLair in R7 on Sunday.

Would one of these times be good for the Player Town Welcome Quest between towns? I imagine it will be tough with world-wide players. What do you think? Maybe the Noon CDT slot? Any player towns based out of Sydney?

Sunday, June 29
    • 4 AM CDT
      -- 09:00 GMT -- 10:00 London -- 19:00 Australia/Sydney
    • 12 PM (Noon) CDT
      -- 17:00 GMT -- 18:00 London -- Monday, 03:00 Australia/Sydney

2. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

For me those times will be fine.
    I'm off to brain storm some player quest ideas for the next few days :D

3. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

While still in my college fraternity, there is a city called Brea near California State University Fullerton.

People when they became 21, indicated they were "taking the tour" to the barkeep of each bar/tavern along a stretch of road in which case you were made the "house special drink" ...
    [​IMG]

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

The Noon CDT time slot is probably a better choice if we want to maximize the number of people involved :D

Time Lord, Winfield and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. rild

rild Avatar

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Noon slot works for me.

7. Winfield

This is great... and if I may be so bold, I created a SotAWiki.net page for this Player-Ran event. It is called the Welcome Quest. It allows us all to try out SotAWiki.net too. It is the same code as Wikipedia so many are familiar with how to edit pages. Rules are basically the same as Wikipedia and people may add or edit information as needed if the information is accurate and is publicly made.

On the Welcome Quest page are spaces to add what player towns and establishments are participating in this in R7. Everyone can update the page (just get an account) and add your town/establishment, or just confirm here and I or someone can update that page. If things don't all work out much, at least the quest page is created, can be edited, or even deleted. But this is also a good test how we can use the SotAWiki.net pages to support our towns and quests and events.

The date / time on the page can be changed when more is confirmed with the towns.

Here, in this thread, I guess we need to collectively decide a sequential path, which Characters to be found in the towns, will people just Zone or have to get directions on where to go next etc. Great! Lots of fun and worth doing in my opinion.

Time Lord, Mata, smack and 8 others like this.
  8. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

I will fill this out tomorrow, cheers Winfield!
    I am extremely interested in an alcohol/booze related quest linked to Beran's Reach/The Bear Tavern.
    Be funny if it was anything like the movie "World's End" where a group of friends went to every pub in the area and drank a pint (12 in total) in one night. Aka The golden mile XD

Time Lord, Mata, Winfield and 3 others like this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Awesome Winfield!

I will set up "Celtic Holdfast" in Northshire (the town NW of Owls Head). I am looking forward to this.

10. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Hmm... where's @prospereau when you need him? He suggested a pub crawl on our guild website... ;)

11. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

Imagine the possibilities....

[​IMG]

12. Winfield

I added the information below to the Welcome Quest Wiki page - so please edit the wiki page as you see fit. I'm just helping get the page started.

Note that the wiki page is used more for reference than specifics for a single event (other than we are putting who is participating in R7 on that wiki page to test things too.). So when we run and finish this event, we can update the wiki page with techniques on how to run this quest every 6 months (or every Release in our case right now).

Here is what I added to the page:

Basically, you visit one town (or establishment) and look for a specific place, person, or item. When you find what you are looking for, you will need to do something (talk to someone, craft something, receive something, read a book, observe something in a room). After doing something at that location, you are sent to see another town (or establishment) again looking for someone or something specific to do or see. This continues to different places until finishing at the end.​
    There are variations on how this works:​
    • Sequential: Start at one place, sequentially go to different places, and end at a single place. This works best when instructions are given at each place to go to the next place. However, the chain could be broken if the quester can not find the place or the person at the place is unavailable.
    • Multiple: Start at any of several places and get instructions on what to do at many different places. This works best using a guide book of sorts. There is no specific start or finish location, unless specified in the quest.

------------
    Also, when we have the towns and contacts identified, we will need to allocate the sequence as we may use the sequential approach. We may also need a chat channel or main person supporting the whole quest in case people get lost and need some help with directions. I suggest we don't make this too hard or complicated. I think it's basically a meet and greet type activity, not a race or full of riddles. (at least on our first attempt at this *smiles*)

What do you think?

13. Duke Gréagóir

My vote is for the sequential one. Since we won't have modifiable books yet.

Once SotA goes live then either I am good for.

14. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

Aye I vote for the more linear of sequential only because I fear a multiple will cause a lot of headaches for everyone at this time.
    I added onto the wiki today due to my lack of wiki code, somehow I managed >.>

15. Winfield

I like the linear / sequential route for R7. If we had books, we could go a parallel/shotgun route.

So for the sequencing, there are currently 4 towns/establishments on the Welcome Quest SotAWiki.net page.

1. PaxLair
    2. Braemar
    3. Celtic Holdfast
    4. Beran's Reach
    So we can go in this sequence, and add more places in between. I suggest we start in PaxLair and finish at Beran's Reach, is that alright?

So for #1 PaxLair, people will need to come to Riya's Maze to see me (or someone) to learn something, etc. and then go on to the next place with my instructions, which would be to Braemar.

Should people go on foot, or /zone to someone? I personally think on foot is best. It let's people experience the travel, which I think is a good idea. The instructions for the next place needs to include good directions too.

We can also have one person that people can /w whisper to if they get lost. We can't expect everyone to be in an IRC channel.

How are these ideas?

16. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Makes sense to me ;) Besides, we better get used to walking, since they will disable the /zone command when the completed game goes live :( After all of that walking, everyone will be so parched that they will need to recover at The Bear Tavern with a couple of brews :D Vallas, Kumakaze - what do you guys think?

17. Duke Gréagóir

The order does not matter to me. I prefer walking.

All I ask that I give someone something made out of wood.
    My carpenter skills are improving.

18. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Gabriel perhaps one day we can hook up for an ale in RL. You're about 15-20 miles north of me. I'm in New Windsor,NY

19. Duke Gréagóir

So far we have:

Start
    PaxLair - See Winfield at the Mazes
    Celtic Holdfast - See Duke Greagoir at the Farmer's Market Pavilion - Bring him a something made out of wood, he will give you something in return.
    Beran's Reach - See Kumakaze or Vallas at The Bear Tavern
    End

I think it makes more send for the person running through the quest to find the item ( the person at Braemar would need to say to the player "Bring Duke Greagoir at the Farmer's Market located in Northshire (NW of Owls Head) wood or something made out of wood to continue your quest.")

Thoughts?

EDIT - Removed Braemar

Keira, The One and Time Lord like this.
  20. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

We plonked our Tavern on seafront of the island of Brave Coast.

"It is located in The Brave Coast off the docks in Kingsport.

Go to Kingsport and head to the middle dock. It should say The Brave Cost when you hover over it with the mouse. Double click it.
    Then keep to the waters edge, its the easiest way to find it, and follow it until you find the Duke Founders Home and a Yule Tree in front.

If you wish to leave there is a 2nd boat near the tavern. Cross the bridge that is near by and run around to the other side of the small island.

Once you have left on that boat it will ALWAYS return you back to that same boat. This is great for quick access to the Tavern.
    NOTE: This works for all hexes. Whatever way you exit will be the same way you enter."

Be aware this isn't the best place to have a Tavern but the views are amazing!
    This isn't our choice of location however haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.