"Elves as a playable race", how does it fit in New Britannia lore?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by AvatarGG, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    I agree, the black eyes do make a deeper enhancement of looking at something other than just another human with pointed ears ;)
    But the eye brows... +1 for Spock eye brows :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

A lot persons who are males in RL, love to play sexy female characters (especially pretty teenage elf girls).
    Adding elves and extra character slots could really boost the company's income.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I can see your point but I can also point out from your statement that people could just role play elves and not have to worry about the stretch goal. Let the money go toward development of the game instead of a second race that half the people would not choose. If you start having racial choices you will always have a divide in the community and people will be upset that the race of their choice is not represented. It might be great for some, for others it fosters resentment.

Vyrinor, Dhimmi, Tarsin and 1 other person like this.
  4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

We already have division and resentment to spare going on in the community, one more little thing isn't going to make much difference, friend.

5. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

For example, we all know SotA won't be complete without a playable ratman race.

[​IMG]

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Why do you make me think these thoughts?!?!:mad:
    I thought we were Friends!!!:confused:

:p

Bodhbh Dearg, rild, Kambrius and 3 others like this.
  7. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Yesss!!!:D

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would rather lessen resentment than promote it though, even at a microscopic level, we all chose to do our part. Many people will not understand why just elves and not other races and just be turned off. The game was billed as human avatar from earth. If elves are added, why not other races? People new to the game might not be as understanding as some of the hardcore members. Instant gratification is the culture of youth. I still say one choice human is better than two choices of human and elf. If your going to go on a racial tangent, do it, but don't limit it.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Or Lizardmen!
    • [​IMG]

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's the worst reason to add elves... but I guess you want to give Dallas some marketing ideas :>

Besides the Spock eyebrow look, there's also a high eyebrow look, where you have very short, slanted straight eyebrows that are higher than they would be on humans. Also another look, like Spock's, but shorter. Also I've seen elves with very thin (density wise) eyebrows. Have to find some pictures...

There could always be a character option for elves to have eyebrows or no eyebrows, too.

BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    L.M. Avorin Swiftslay said;

I would rather lessen resentment than promote it though, even at a microscopic level, we all chose to do our part. Many people will not understand why just elves and not other races and just be turned off. The game was billed as human avatar from earth. If elves are added, why not other races? People new to the game might not be as understanding as some of the hardcore members. Instant gratification is the culture of youth. I still say one choice human is better than two choices of human and elf. If your going to go on a racial tangent, do it, but don't limit it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Our world of SotA is a world of encouraged conflict and not a society aimed to have any harmony within a peaceful nature.
    If a minority of players wish to have playable Elves or playable anything, then conflict always arises from the majority. Yet if the minority have enough $ to support the idea, then those ideas and ways of play will become supported and introduced in game on a much more robust schedule of creation, without having taken money away from the core creation of our game, "which is human".
    Conflict is the spice of life of our New Britannia, not peace & tranquility...

12. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

The moment they descided to impliment a RL whealth based game-world where money speaks louder than time, dedication and skill, conflict was born.
    I'd like a conflictless world of equality too, but it's already too late for that, the virtual world we have here is the world RG/LB has made for us.
    It is what it is.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well yes this is true, but again, all we can do is our own little part and speak our own little voices. I do not have enough money to be the the minority of high end nobility to sway the vote with my dollars lol! I suppose according to human nature if I did have the money to do that, I wouldn't worry about what anyone else might care about, but alas I am forced to be humble.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You do have a point, but as anyone with a stubborn sense of right or wrong, even unwillingly, one is forced to try to set an example so that others that are shy or lurking may not feel alone if they do feel the same way.

Bodhbh Dearg, Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm OK with elves, and even with other races, as long as it makes some sort of sense. e.g.

If elves represent "truth" then after completing some quest, as long as I'm in some sort of good standing with the "truth" faction, I get an elf as a companion which I can also do solo things with. If I fall from the path, I may get temporary unfriended by my elf.

Note that this isn't Ultima IV with a win condition where I just be "virtuous" and win. Everything should be hard choices where it may be impossible to walk a neutral enough path to have say both an elf and a kobald friend because the choices often conflict.

Obviously my elf may not be from the "truth" elves, maybe he hates them and there's some totally different motivation, but the point remains the same. I should get pulled in a lot of different directions where I can't please everyone.

It would be nice to play a far less complicated character, like a mouse who just likes cheese. Or a cat, who likes hot tubs.

Numa, BillRoy, rild and 2 others like this.
  16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I'm with you on that, friend.
    We may not see things exactly the same way, or go about buisness exactly the same way, but our purpose is similar.
    I and many others here, including you, am lead by my conscience to do what I do.
    Sometimes a difference of oppinion arises, but more often than not they are driven by a personal sence of right.

And then there are self-centered sociopaths, but I'm not a psychologist and can't always tell them apart from the altruists.:rolleyes:

17. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

The people of New Britannia only called these Obsidian-created abominations "elves" because their physical appearance reminded them of the "real" elves they once knew long ago (i.e. before they went into hiding during The Great Cataclysm 400 years ago) ;)

Fits perfectly with Arabella's explanation (note gold highlighted part):

"The Vertas people that live in the Forsaken Vale, for example, a new race borne of the Cataclysm which we have grown to call "elves"; Lord British has told me this may be reference to a long-distant legend that the people of Novia have since forgotten. The Vertas elves for their part are like men, but different... different enough. They struggle to live alongside the rest of us, but where a man might burn with emotional fire, an elf will be cold, distant. They worship history, knowledge and truth, and those who wish to learn the wisdom they hold would do well to discover the ways of these people. It is certain you will encounter them on your way."

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Gabriel Nightshadow <---<<< *pssst* He's really smart about Storylines, Timelines and Lore !;)!

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Of course, now that they have returned, the "real" elves may not be too happy about these "impostors" running around sullying their good name. Imagine the role-playing possibilities - Elf Wars :D Choose your side!

20. Gabriel Nightshadow

Well, I wouldn't say that o_O Just taking a stab at a rational explanation for all of this. Hey, I could be completely wrong :eek: Only RG and Tracy Hickman know the truth :rolleyes: All will be revealed in time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.