"Elves as a playable race", how does it fit in New Britannia lore?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by AvatarGG, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That would make sense. :) I haven't had a chance to read all the Arabella pieces yet. Thanks for the infos. :)

2. rild

rild Avatar

Indeed, I too have considered this possibility. This actually bears a strong resemblance to Tolkien's story of Morgoth, who wrought the orcs in mockery of the Elves. Were the Obsidians "inspired" (in the darkest sense) by the legends they heard as children, by the myths they discovered in studies arcane?

This would be an elegant twist to the plot. However, I think playing the Vertas people as so described might offer more social, ethical and intellectual challenges.

Let's not forget that nearly every day Richard's status in the Standup thread is "Story and lore" - I have a feeling ol'Elby might have some deep thoughts and complex plans regarding this subject, and I hope to have my mind blown by his vorpal ideas any day now.

3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

rild, it does makes sense that the Obsidians would be inspired (in a twisted way) by these legends when creating an army of their own :) Wouldn't surprise me at all if RG took a hint from Tolkien ;)

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Vulcans?:confused:

No, now that is worse than Tolkien elves.:oops:

Bodhbh Dearg, rild and Time Lord like this.
  5. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Well, Vulcans DO have pointy ears...

It's all beginning to make sense! Clearly there's a Lunar Rift that connects with Vulcan as well as one to Earth...

Edit: In fact, maybe it connects to the Vulcan ON Earth... ;)

Jivalax Azon, rild, BillRoy and 3 others like this.
  6. selbie

selbie Avatar

So long as they go easy on the eyebrows I'm ok with that :p

Otherwise we'll end up with a bunch of Ming the Mercilesses traipsing around Novia.

[​IMG]

Bodhbh Dearg, Numa, Qunari and 3 others like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Did Someone Say More Eyebrows?"
    [​IMG]
    Wow, this conversation sure opened allot of playable races :p
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Bodhbh Dearg, Numa and 5 others like this.
  8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

What about wookies!
    [​IMG]

Time Lord, Bodhbh Dearg, Numa and 2 others like this.
  9. selbie

selbie Avatar

No silly! Those are gargoyles!

:p

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually, I think the idea in Star Trek that humans were some especially emotional species, driven by feelings rather than logic, was a bit hackneyed. Especially by the time of ST: Enterprise, where I found Captain Archer acted like a baby; I couldn't figure out how someone like that could get a military command. I'm reminded of Admiral Stockdale's essay on stoic ethics.

Would be interesting if a story focused on a race more emotional than humans, rather than less emotional.

Lord Baldrith and BillRoy like this.
  11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Me and my wife are watching that on Amazon Prime right now, and you're right, the humans are (according to the Vulcans) on par with the Andorians...and the Andorians are the worst.lol

*I like the Andorians though, prob my fav.:rolleyes:

12. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I want the Elves to look nicer than most humans.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I do not want Elves look like a Wraith from SG1 Atlantis.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Qunari

Qunari Avatar

Well, if playing myself in this new world, maybe I wouldn't do the same job I do in real life, but, getting a rent free house in game, I seriously doubt I would be heading out into the world to face monsters, when I have a comfortable house, and can make a safe living in town.
    The anime Sword Art Online covered this a bit. Only there was a strong motive to beat the game, and be able to return to the real world. And still many didn't adventure.

14. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

there is another reason why people might not like it.

Company goes to investors to pitch a certain product.
    investors invest money in promised product
    Halfway through the development company throws out half of the products initial features....

and im not talking about interpretations but things explicitly promised.

and they dont throw them out because a fundamental reason ( which would be understandable) no they seem to abandon it for monetary reasons only

honestly that's my big issue with this change. it breaks down my trust in the company ( a bit)

Maybe if they would have said something beforehand, like: hey guys we need our product to be more commercially appealing that's why we are throwing out promises X and X hope you guys understand" it would have felt different

15. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

You're right. While I was fascinated by fantasy-elves when I was 13-15, I now think they have become the essence of overused cookie cutter fantasy lore. From a guy who set standards in original thinking? - disappointing.

And since I just woke up and am still morningcranky, I'll also say this although it'll probably be unpopular. I don't mind elves as killable mobs. Playable race elves attract a type of players and playstyle I really dislike in MMOs... female divas! - sorry but I just can't take it seriously.. we are all semi-old gamer bums behind the screen.

imho it would be a lot more interesting to use various human cultures for diversity instead of elves. As it is now only the medieval european culture is portrayed. Why not have something like ottomans/arabians/persians for example... Lots of exotic clothes and weapons and easier to RP since an elf will always be a completely made up.

16. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Why do all threads keep turning into walls of irrelevant Pictures.
    Never mind getting an extra playable race concentrate on Companions for the SP Offline

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  17. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Looking at the level of monetary support for the stretch goal, this whole conversation is probably moot. Unless the monetary support accelerates substantially, a few things will be true:

1) There is a lot more conceptual interest in elves than a willingness to back the project to make it happen. That is no different I imagine than most of the things people have asked for in the forum.

2) At this extremely low level of funding, they have lost money so far. It's taken paid employee hours to conceive the design, create the assets, update the website. I guarantee the work put into is more than $3K. The idea that this would be a moneymaker is not true now and just a wish. Time will tell, but I'm very pessimistic.

3) Unless the level of funding allows them to eventually hire additional staff and offload work from current employees, this stretch goal will have taken time away from building what's already planned. I doubt the level of funding will get there to actually hire staff but we will see. Is it a small distraction? Maybe. But scope creep is a relentless beast.

For all these reasons, unless the level of funding accelerates, this will be a hopefully harmless, but maybe not, distraction.

rild, AvatarGG, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  18. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

There is a ton of npc races in Ultima history and this 'world-renowned' writer comes up with... elves.
    It's disappointing.

Vyrinor likes this.
  19. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

On the surface I'm against Elves as a playable race. It undermines the whole "Avatar from Earth" idea that was put forward.

Having said that, I don't like elves to begin with. I wonder, if it had been Dwarves or Orcs, if I wouldn't be trying to find a way to force the idea to fit, just because I love those fantasy races? Maybe. Especially for Orcs. Since THAT will never happen, I can only imagine how I would react.

Having delved more deeply into my soul, I say: I can live with playable elves, for the sake of those who love them.

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Our Current Audience is Not Our Future's Audience"

What's everyone's age group? "The Majority Rules Game"!
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...yones-age-group-the-majority-rules-game.9171/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Maxe said;

You're right. While I was fascinated by fantasy-elves when I was 13-15, I now think they have become the essence of overused cookie cutter fantasy lore. From a guy who set standards in original thinking? - disappointing.

And since I just woke up and am still morningcranky, I'll also say this although it'll probably be unpopular. I don't mind elves as killable mobs. Playable race elves attract a type of players and playstyle I really dislike in MMOs... female divas! - sorry but I just can't take it seriously.. we are all semi-old gamer bums behind the screen.

imho it would be a lot more interesting to use various human cultures for diversity instead of elves. As it is now only the medieval european culture is portrayed. Why not have something like ottomans/arabians/persians for example... Lots of exotic clothes and weapons and easier to RP since an elf will always be a completely made up.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Most well said Maxe but I do disagree with your outcome;

Real world race divisions are colorful, yet we are in need of no real world style racial conflict within our game as this would encourage real world politics and strife to enter into our fantasy world.
    Yet still, we here represent the people with money to fund a project and not the main audience of the gaming $ world which is children and especially "teens". You are very correct that teens would have a normal expectation and want for their fairyland dreams to be playable here.
    As we expect elves to be in a "distant future, this is compatible with our current and subsequent builds as they will be geared for Mom and Dad based on nostalgia and bring them home. yet once home, the game needs to be sold to a larger audience which is the "much younger" crowd than we within our demographic are.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Qunari, Bodhbh Dearg and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.