Currency system

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by mikeaw1101, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auzlander

Auzlander Avatar

I do believe I saw an "update" video on Youtube in which Richard said that player vendors will help you sell your crafted items. So I guess they are going to UO route.

Time Lord and enderandrew like this.
  2. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

No just No...

Luznad, blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  3. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

this is not like WoW or Diablo .
    most of the armor/weapons we will be using are player made.
    wat we might see is trading whith rare crafting material if the goldpieces are abundant ( mithiral ore,dragon leather,...)
    and you can probeplie name the curency watever you want but most players will call it plat/gold/silver/copper.

as for trading RL curency for ingame curency i say NO.
    we alreaddy have a ADD-ON shop so players will purchase items there and try to sell it for ingame gold.
    (always happens new players selling cosmetic or other items from the cash-shop for ingame curency)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Minchi

Minchi Avatar

Please have more than one type of currency it will prevent gold sellers and other unwanted unauthorized currency sellers...

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega Avatar

Don't restrict the game from evolving. That was the downfall of most MMO games.

Simply put we are not at full release.

Lets let people buy/sell who cares.

Let us be free.

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Selling of gold, silver, whatever in the online store may be an evil we need to live with if such currency is sold because of overseas sweat shops. That is a reality. Yet when we speak of different currencies "by players or towns" this issue of sweat shops disappears and thus any "need to sell gold in our online store". Richard touched on the sweat shop subject in one of his vids which was very brave of any game designer.

I think the subject that "Web Team" mentions here has gained more validity from when he and others had discussed before the advent of player towns.

You could receive a discount by using your own town's minted whatever, or have to pay a full price by using another town's currency, yet the king's currency rate could become dictated in the same way when spending it in any player town. Maybe it's worth more, maybe less depending on the setting of price within the vendor itself. Some currencies could be meaningless in certain places as well.

I think since the advent of player towns that these issues do need more discussion to see what more idea's come popping out of them.

My old argument was "the gold standard", then mint whatever currency you wanted, yet the symbol would dictate it meaning from town to town or from player to player.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Avatar Aiden

Well we are using Gold. So there is no need for a gold standard to back the gold. So what about a Cat standard? To back the gold? Seems logical to me....

[​IMG]

8. Avatar Aiden

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. This could screw up the game and enjoying it in a hurry.

9. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

Really dangerous, I know, but a merchant does not have to accept that player minted currency. For instance, you could have a guild currency and a guild shop, and the guild shop accepts that currency and sets up the price. Or a player city could chose to have its own currency, for the sake of role playing. Most of the time, by using the game currency we have less to worry about the currency owner printing too much and messing it up, so the player minted currency would be a hassle, but from a role playing point I find that it could be enjoyable, dealing with inflation, speculation and etc.

Jatvardur likes this.
  10. Minchi

Minchi Avatar

Guild wars 2, used a real currency system that only is used for cosmetic items and have a system to convert game currencies in gems and it pretty much kept the game funded but not sure...

How much profit that they gain by doing that... *-*

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Throw in Three Dragon eggs and a Khalisi! Ill be all for that!

Luznad likes this.
  12. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Players will 'mint' currency by killing mobs, and looting dungeons....and selling the loot to NPC vendors.

More important is how money is 'destroyed' in money sinks...like the taxes. Buying player made consumables or harvestables is not a money sink.

And having different 'levels' of currency is just a way to hide inflation.

13. StaticGrazer

StaticGrazer Avatar

Okay okay, first and foremost....Caturday. LuL

Next, there seems to be little discussion on how in game currency, house/plot/village rent, and real life currency will happen.

Unless I have completely missed something that is.

14. Kalani

Kalani Avatar

I played a game years upon years ago (more then a decade at least) that had different currency of copper, silver gold and plat in each area. It was awesome....you had to change your money at the bank (paying a fee) to buy anything in the other areas. I'd love to see this implemented. Just one of those small touches that make it just a touch more immersive.

15. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

There hasn't been a great amount of discussion from the devs with regards to currency and real money trading. Some discussion, yes, but not a lot.

However, there has been a fair amount of discussion within the community. Dont have links to hand but try searching.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This is understandable, but can also become a morass of confusion. At one point, LOTRO had so many different types of currencies I just gave up even caring.

17. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Yeah, I don't want to see, keep track of, or deal with that bullcrap either. But in this game I'd prefer New Britannia "Crowns" ( or whatever ) than continue to use "gold/silver/copper" as used by every other MMO in existence.

Lana Rhiane likes this.
  18. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

I am sure there will be some kind of currency standard in the game as far as other player currencies i am not sure how that will fit in.

Golden rule is ( If in time of need, never deal with a opportunist ) You will lose every time.

19. Luznad

Luznad Avatar

You mean Secret of evermore?

I would like a tradesystem without or no use for "coins".. Just items and craftstuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.