Organizing the first player-run city with a crafting and trading theme

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Jatvardur, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

I did another pass at helping to value out lots - since we didn't have a layout to used I used the Valemark and the (from what I can tell still un-purchased) map of PaxLair (seriously, I keep hearing people say PaxLair is a metropolis now but I haven't seen anyone say they have paid the $5g's yet are they getting a free pass?). CoinBase keeps going up and down which is where I am pulling the BitCoin rate from causing the site not to fully load every time right now (they are working on it, I will remove the dependency til then if I can)

Check out the Player-town Category and click on Valemark - would this be helpful when designs or templates are laid out to helping to value lots and prioritize within the city?

2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

No PAX will not get a "free ride" they will have to pay also, they are just working on a design at the moment.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

PaxLair upgraded from city to Metropolis the day it came out.

The Valemark location is our test ground
    Y
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jatvardur likes this.
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

there you go :) thats what i thought!

some people just dont know PAX. So they may think they get everything, but in all actuality they pay just as much if not more when setting things up like this. Also they do a lot of fun events in game ("deal or no deal") id like to see that again in this game! I loved it in UO! they also set up quests for all players, not just PAX members as well. It is a well established group. With all players and games.

5. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Been playing UO on Chessy player ever since I read about RedKiller back all those years ago so no need to turn this into a thread about other towns was just curious of they had purchased anything.

6. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

They are a bit different from what I'm doing, they don't require funding in the same way. It has all been handled internally. I don't want to say too much more on it but I trust them on this matter.

I'm looking to do something in cooperation with PL in R7: e.g. a crafting center in valemark.

7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Not entirely sure what you mean here. Is this on your website?

8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Yes, as a name it is cool but its meaning doesnt really fit with the theme. Related: I suspect the "gard" in the names of sota is not a play on "guard" (in English) but gård from Scandinavian languages.

Brian likes this.
  9. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Yep check the categories on the home page. The idea is the town as a subcategory that contains a list of each available lot. Each lot has details and a 'value' that can be assigned as well as some other properties. The map shows the breakdown of the lots. Any feedback appreciated, keeping in mind of course it is an example (1 - Village Lot corresponds to the lot number 1 which is village of course, as an example)

10. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

I will of course defer to you on this. I liked it's second and third meanings in the Yahoo dictionary: "The foremost or leading position in a trend or movement" and "Those occupying a foremost position" ;-)

Oh well, cheers.

11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Alright, you got me on that one! I was thinking of the military meaning, and was considering that we weren't a military town. However, your point on being in a leading / foremost position is a good one. I'll add it to the list of consideration. :)

Brian likes this.
  12. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I see great potential in this. I had a similar idea in my mind but I lack the technical ability to make it. This will be great once the game is launch and people start trading houses.

I'll PM any feedback I come up with.

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

So this town is in R7 in spirit. I've places a crafting pavilion on a town lot in Valemark. This is in collaboration with Paxlair.

Unfortunately the pre-alphas always coincide with a crazy work schedule and last night I couldn't connect. Would love to get in game life is particularly crazy outside of work too. I can grant kindred to anyone who is willing to place more tables / crafting stuff / decorations etc.

14. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Let me know when you are back on I have a few crafting tables and money for a few more whenever you want to add them to the pavilion

Jatvardur likes this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm glad you are thinking about names that fit Novia's naming scheme

Jatvardur likes this.
  16. aevans

aevans Avatar

Given the crafting and trading theme for this town, are there any plans to 'optimize' the layout for certain crafting or trading functions? For crafting having one or more dedicated lots with crafting tables open to the public could help bring in residents. For trading (and I think this was mentioned earlier) having areas for vendors of related goods grouped together could help people find what they are looking for.

With the player driven economy plus certain crafting skills and items feeding into other crafting skills and items, has anyone started to look at how to place groups of crafting tables and vendors?

It may prove helpful to have a leather goods vendor sitting next to the smelting and blacksmithing tables. And also a vendor for refined ingots and bars. It could help the players that want to focus on a single crafting profession acquire the materials they need, without having to deal with the gathering or refining or taking up other skills to make the prerequisite materials.

mbomber and Jatvardur like this.
  17. aevans

aevans Avatar

I'm interested in moving in. I need a place to put my vendor (on my village lot). I may be able to open the house to the public using the permissions system, but would most likely keep the basement for my personal effects and storage.

Any estimates on how many lots will be open for public use versus how many are private residence?

For the selected town size and layout, are there any thoughts on how many open crafting areas of shopping districts should be included, or how they should be distributed in the layout?

Jatvardur likes this.
  18. aevans

aevans Avatar

I was thinking about themed town layouts* and was wondering if there was a good way to match the theme to specific crafts or trades. I suspect by the time you group together enough lots for a theme you already have enough room to support any combinations of crafts and trades, probably all of them.

Perhaps the pavilion for milling and carpentry tables. What would make for a visually distinct location for smithing or cooking/farming or animal husbandry?

* Lord Marshal Great Hall on a water lot (or just surrounded by water)
    with a few Waterfront Houseboats nearby
    and a Frigate in the background
    a row of Viking Village homes on the land facing the great hall
    open lots decorated with Rowboat and Longboat House Decorations
    and anchors and crafting tables...

19. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

They would definitely make great themes but keep in mind that you are talking about (basically) a $2,200 building just to match a 'theme' with the Great Hall suggestion. In theory that sounds wonderful, but in reality that is a bit far fetched : )

20. aevans

aevans Avatar

I don't expect anyone to build it. ;)

I'm just exploring ideas for visually distinct landmarks in a town so players can navigate easier. And if those landmarks also give some indication of what a player might find there, all the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.