Open PvP Justice System

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by WebTeam, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Oh jezz... no! I'm not stomping on one persons role play because its not mine.

Based on the fact that what he is asking for is not role play and you are suggesting he is looking for role play, I don't think you read our full discussion.

The part that I am against is having Open PvP with no justice system(police, banishment, and all the fun things that happen in real world roles). This otherwise makes it a free-for-all. The part of his discussion I disagreed with, is that he is looking for an Open PvP that wouldn't make any consequences for what ever things he has done. Which make it not role play at all. This isn't my own definition I based this on. If you google what is role play, it will help clarify any misunderstandings of what it is.

So as you can see, I'm not against one persons role play because its not mine. I'm against a one person wanting a mode that is not role play at all (no consequences), in a game that is a role play game.

EDIT: Also, I think if you place Open PvP in the context of a RPG... you are talking about having no system restrictions on how you interact with others. Example, I can attack others. But I still believe it should remain a Role Playing Game in that there are world system consequences for that.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I just want to throw this in here in responce to captain jack who said we need a karma system. I think we need a murder/criminal system. I hope that the virtue/karma system doesn't cause virtuous people to lose virtue for fleeing an encounter in PvP like it does in U4 for fleeing from a fight.

Karma is fine. NPCs treat you differently etc. However a simplified version of the UO murder system is really needed to keep things from getting out of hand and being total chaos. A PK doesn't care about karma in fact they might want to get their karma rating as low as possible. It might even entice people to kill everybody in sight.

A murder/criminal system will notify people who is a murderer or somebody who has committed a criminal act, and it allows other players to LEGALLY attack these people and kill them without breaking any laws or being flagged as a murderer themselves. It also would tie into some kind of bounty system if they have one, and you can legally attack the murderer if they are still in murderer status.

There should be other restrictions on murderers like having to avoid town guards etc. If they get jumped by town guards and beaten they should wake up in a cell (that can be escaped from but it requires skill). I don't believe in punishing players for their play style by forcing them into a cell and have to wait. I would rather them be able to escape, but it also would make people think twice about becoming a murderer if they are always hunted down in the "respectable" towns, and no NPCs buy or sell anything from you.

Ara and Sir_Tim like this.
  3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

The common punishment in most societies (even ancient ones) is perma-death or perma-imprisonment.

How is it a punishment if you can escape the consequences time and again? I think that if a person wants to role play a murderer then fine, but they should be prepared to be immersed in that role when they get caught.

Perma-death could instead be a form of reincarnation that basically kills the character and resets them to a starting point or there can be a set time when they are removed from the game. Sort of like a time out for their childish behavior and lack of ability to play nicely.

A punishment needs to be just that, otherwise why bother? I guess the reason is that no one really wants to actually be punished....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Good points, but you have to also remember that it is a game. In Open PvP, we are Role Playing a world where you can attack any one at any time. But we should also not forget that this is still an RPG and you are playing the role that comes with attacking another player. Thus you should experience that role in the setting of the game. As a game... having a the ability to enjoy the experience of being 'jailed' should be important and encouraged.

We already know there is no perma-death, and from what they are saying you get one character, so perma-imprisonment would really stink if you are in the mood to play a more law abiding role.

So I do have to agree with @Isaiah on the whole keeping it still somewhat fun. Escape though... not much of a fan of that. I would like to keep them in jail to prevent the whole UO problem of griefers that are not role playing murders but just taking an opportunity when they see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.