Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Over World map looks Great

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by SmokerKGB, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I do believe both maps will be in the finished game. In the original Kickstarter video, it looked like the idea is that the 2D map will be shown when you are zoomed far, but as you zoom closer the 3D map will take over.

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  2. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I wasn't aware of that, looks like we'll get our cake and be able to eat it too :D

Lord Trenyc likes this.
  3. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I think the map is fine but I also like the old cloth map-ish version, too. Hope they will continue adding functionality as I'm an explorer by heart and would love to spend a good deal of time on the map, just looking around and see what trouble I can get into :)

4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I finally got in and played. The new map is looking sexy as hell! Love it! I'm so stoked about it!

5. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I would presume because twobells sounds like he/she thinks we should have a finished version by now. :)

It's clearly nowhere near finished, but it shows a huge amount of promise, in my opinion. I love the smoking volcano, the way the names float above the towns, the way the water glistens (texture could be improved, but I like the effect), the way some of the towns hide behind trees or mountains until you shift the map in the right direction...

It's looking a bit bare in places right now, but I presume it'll fill up in future releases. I think it's a great start, and well worth the extra work that's being put into it. Thanks, Port! :D

Hazard, ByTor, tradyblix and 4 others like this.
  6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

All of which could be done by just about any competent Unity user. All those 'assets' you mention can simply be dropped in after purchasing from the Unity store.

Add flames to the fire, the map doesn't look anything like actual geography (imo) water looks like plastic, hills look like paper-mache.

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  7. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

You could always consider, y'know, giving them some more time to work on it... ;)

Kaisa, docdoom77, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

This happens every time there is a release. It's better to just not say anything.

Kaisa, jiirc and NRaas like this.
  9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Va va voom, baby! Very groovy.

docdoom77, SmokerKGB and tradyblix like this.
  10. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

one thing I like about the 3D overland map (besides how it looks) is, it's not overburdening my GPU like the old papercloth map... ^_^

Khloec and SmokerKGB like this.
  11. Krellis

Krellis Avatar

Personally, I preferred the earlier cloth map because watching Stephen draw it on PotA, and hearing him talk about reading National Geographic when younger (and how those maps inspired/influenced him) made it all the more special to see in-game.

The current map in comparison just feels like something that's common place (i.e., a dime a dozen). It reminds me of something out of Civ V or Godus or something like that, nothing as unique/special as what Stephen created... I'm sure it took a lot of work (and will take much more), but something about the hand-drawn version appealed more to me, but I guess that's because I watched part of how it was created.

So, though I like the new map and it has charm (and I know it will improve), it doesn't hold the same promise that the cloth map did (at least for me). Watching Stephen's painstaking attention to detail made me appreciate what I saw in game when getting to interact with the cloth map. I do admit the functionality was rough though, and unfortunately, I think that prejudiced many ppl against the cloth map (well, that and the kickstarter demo video).

I was sad to see that people didn't like it. I think it's beautiful and felt it fit the game perfectly, Stephen! To each their own, however. o_O

(FWIW, somewhat OT: the map music fits everything about the game perfectly... best track in the game so far, I think... and I'm loving all of the other songs I've heard too... still, wanted to say that, because sitting on the map listening to the music just feels right... I even felt that way before the change to the 3D model).

Margard, Chris, Khloec and 1 other person like this.
  12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Nice video Dude, I like it... Have you tried the "pathfinding" yet? If you had just clicked on Kingsport, you'd have went there... Plus pg up/dwn zooms you in/out...

kabalyero likes this.
  13. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I can also agree with the sentiment that the overworld map is an improvement over the cartoony cloth map looking thing. That being said, I think navigation on the new overworld map could use a bit of work. While it took three steps forward in visuals vs the old map, it took two steps backwards in regards to ease of navigation. I know it is in very early stages though, so I am sure there will be many improvements to it over time!

It may not be overburdening the GPU, but instead its murdering the CPU lol. We traded one for the other. While running the new overland map, my CPU was getting quite hot and temps took a jump!

I really look forward to the day where the game (as a whole) can make better use of system resources...

14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I agree.

15. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

New map is a massive move in the right direction, but it is of course extremely early in its development. Specific suggestions I would like to give Chris (while we hopefully still have his ear):

- Don't allow so much zoom out. I know, if I dont want to zoom out I can just choose not to, but I really feel it shouldn't be possible at this play level. We need it to feel less like a map (despite the persistence of that name) and more like a second level of game play. Might even be easier to dev as such. As far as I am concerned there could still be a static, 2D map the player can pull out showing the whole world (akin to the cloth map of old) but that should have no interactivity (other than maybe the ability to take notes).

- Of course for the above to make any sense the detail level will have to be taken up a fair bit. I know there are many fleshing outs to come (mini toons instead of banners cant come soon enough) but if you were to focus on making a more zoomed in nominal view look good as you flesh it out, it may well pay dividends in the long run.

- Please let us roam freely, either with WASD or better yet a mouse driven arrow system like U6/U7, not center-of-hex-to-center-of-hex. Even if its "meaningless" in terms of the underlying structure, it would "feel" sooooo much more like game-play, exploring, and adventuring, and less like an elaborate fast-travel screen.

16. twobells

twobells Avatar

I am really starting to feel the love now they've added running water/animated waves, daylight effects and I LOVE the mountains!
    Yes, I know its very early days, but if they continue on improving and adding elements to the map it'll be awesome.

All we need now are proper Gothic fonts (like the ones used for location names) for players and we are well on our way to an Ultima game.

Lord Baldrith, SmokerKGB and Kaisa like this.
  17. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I love the map. but im still having problems with the place holder.
    If im in Owl's head, and use the /home command to Northshire, when i walk out of Northshire, my place marker is still outside Owl's Head.

18. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I've seen this a lot too - I didn't note if it happened every time, but definitely quite often! Somebody else mentioned that it seems like the system isn't updating the Avatar's location after using the command, so when you leave the scene you were transported to it still thinks you were in the one you came from and puts you outside of that one. (Might be the same with /zone as well, not sure)

smack likes this.
  19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I like the new map, but honestly I don't feel that it is any sort of improvement over the cloth map. It's different, but not better. Just my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Thanks for your honesty. My appreciation! Some call this a virtue ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.