Player-Ran Towns Welcome Quest Idea

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Duke Gréagóir, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I've been getting a lot in Northshire last cpl Rs, off and on. But Sunday at 1300 I'll be at the Brewer game ith my sons. Any other time I'd be more than happy to Saturday anytime is good

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

START - People need to start between 1200-1230 Central US Time

Go to Valemark and visit PaxLair Town. See Winfield or the Town Drunk at the Town Hall in the upper meadow, which is in the NE portion of Valemark. (( DO NOT /zone on them, or you may not be able to log in, and have to recreate your character.))

1. PaxLair - Welcome to PaxLair, a player town of many guilds and people. There are amazing Mazes in PaxLair to see.

Go to Northshire (NW of Owl's Head) and seek out Duke Greagoir at the Celtic Holdfast. Find him at the Farmer's Market Pavilion. Bring him something made out of wood and he will give you something in return.

2. Celtic Holdfast - Welcome to the Celtic Holdfast ...

Go to The Brave Coast via the dock boats in Kingsport (middle one). When there, keep the to water's edge and follow it until you see The Bear Tavern (Duke Founders Home with a Yule Tree in front).

3. The Bear Tavern - Welcome to the Bear Tavern ...

END

Still a few blanks to fill in. But so far the "instructions" are coming together. I owe the instructions for getting from PaxLair to Braemar.

3. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

Duke Gréagóir, you know you can always count on me supporting your plot hook when the game goes live. I will always lend you a helpfull hand :) And I already have some ideas to span an arc to the Tavern.

4. Winfield

I suggest that the start time be a window - 12:00-12:30 PM Central US Time - so we won't need people at each city for more than an hour.

In PaxLair, I can keep track of who starts the quest and let people know that along the route.

5. Winfield

The Breamar portion had to back out *frowns*. We have PaxLair, Celtic Holdfast, and The Bear Tavern. I updated my post three above this one with the list and the "directions" between us.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Sounds good to me.

Keira, The One and Time Lord like this.
  7. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

I be back from dinner in time I hope. If not then one of the other officers will be there I'm hoping but from the looks of things, getting to the Tavern is a lot trickier than we first thought :p

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Winfield

Will be fun! It will be perfect to end up in The Bear Tavern for some refreshment and great music. I remember dancing there in R6. It was a blast! Oh, here is the video too!

9. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Well I found the farmers market in Northshire, but Duke Greagoir was not there (we were not in same instance). I had to zone to him to see him (join him in the instance).

10. Duke Gréagóir

Yes, I learned something from that too. I had no idea that could happen.

Thank you for those who figured it out and let me know. Next time we run any quests like that we will all be in the same zone (meaning I will). :)

Thanks to all who sponsored and quested today in this event! I applaud you.

Keira, The One, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  11. Kumakaze [BEAR]

Kumakaze [BEAR] Avatar

Thanks everyone who have organized this, it was fun! :) I say it was a successful test run.

12. Winfield

I had a wonderful time and yes, learned a few things too. When many people showed up at one time, I had to cut the in-PaxLair portion short -- people were supposed to get a lantern from Net and bring it back to me. But with 15 people waiting, that did not seem to be the best approach. Seems a group type of quest seems a bit more practical for a short duration quest.

Here's a bit of my account (also posted on the Building PaxLair in Release 7 thread):

The Welcome Quest went to PaxLair, Celtic Holdfast, and The Bear Tavern. The Town Drunk of PaxLair waited for people at the entrance to Valemark and for a while diligently told people how to find me, Governor Winfield, at the PaxLair Town Hall building. Several early questers, made it to me where I instructed them to get a lantern from Net at the Wardrobe maze. They did this and returned to me.

Yet, while they were with me, there was commotion at the entrance to Valemark. The Town Drunk had already had too much to drink and none other than Lord British came with a group of about 15 people. The Town Drunk was awestruck and dumbfounded, so the people just passed him by and headed to the Upper Meadow.

The people stormed into the Upper Meadow heading to the maze. I heard the people and went outside to see what was amiss. Then I saw Lord British. He was asking about the maze. Then, I mentioned we were on a quest and that we were returning to the maze for a big event at 2 PM Central US time. He asked what quest we were on and we went to the PaxLair Town Hall. I explained the quest, and Lord British agreed to lead the people to Celtic Holdfast. They headed off, I followed in a bit, and then we also went to the Bear Tavern. Lord British had other duties and could not make it to the Bear Tavern.

[​IMG]
    The start of the Welcome Quest at the PaxLair Town Hall​
    [​IMG]
    Lord British at the Upper Meadow near the Mazes and the PaxLair Town Hall​
    [​IMG]
    Everyone at the PaxLair Town Hall getting instructions to go to Celtic Holdfast - Lord British watches​
    [​IMG]
    At the Celtic Holdfast with Duke Greagoir and Lord British​
    [​IMG]
    At The Bear Tavern completing the Welcome Quest!​
    Thanks to all who participated! We hope to do this type of quest again in Release 8.

13. Net

Net Avatar

I enjoyed the quest, I would love to see something like that in every release. Like a tour around the best player made locations in the form of quest:)

There needs to be more time for side-quests though (like finishing the maze or visiting every house in PaxLair:))

14. Winfield

Will we be running a Welcome Quest (see this Wiki Page) in Release 8?

Last time we ran it a Noon (Central US Time) on Sunday of R7. This time could be Sunday, July 27 at Noon (Central US Time). That is the same time as the "Bear Tavern Brawl I" start though, so the time needs adjustment?

What to do on this Welcome Quest?
    • Fetch and carry an item
    • Deliver a message
    • Answer questions
    • Go as a group and be protected through PVP lands to a destination
    Last time, it was tough to operate as individuals, and easier as a group or team. So maybe this one could/should be focused on a team Welcome Quest approach to go to different towns? I suggest a Sequential Quest again for simplicity.

Again, the Welcome Quest is designed to help new towns and places become known to others ... and ... to introduce new people to the towns and places, thus the term "Welcome". There are new towns being formed since the last Release. Will they appear in R8?

What does everyone think for R8?

15. Duke Gréagóir

Yes we are. If we get enough interested parties. I know that the Celtic Holdfast is planning on it.

I like the group approach. I also like the "travel through PvP land" too. Great enhancement suggestions!

I was waiting another week to see if other schedule PvP events came up and then work around that. Maybe change it up and have it on Saturday before or after a PvP event?

If we did it 2 hours before a PvP event the ending this time could be at that event!

Thank you for bringing this up Winfield.

16. jugallo

jugallo Avatar

I think these are some really great ideas. One of my concerns with player-run towns is giving common players a reason to go there. If you think WoW horde-side there was not much reason to go to any of the other towns besides Orgrimmar (or whatever the "hub" was for the current xpac). It was not often that you would see non-leveling folk having anything to do with Brill for instance. Or even in Ultima with Luna being the current hub of activity (WBB in the old days). I'm not sure that it is possible to eliminate what will eventually be the "hub" for players to engage in commerce, but ideas like this will help to avoid the player "ghost-towns" I think we would all like to avoid. Great ideas guys!

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

I think something helpful to also do is have roving NPC merchants that have speciality gear/randoms that travel between towns similar to Fallout 3. these NPC's would travel from place to place, which could help drive traffic to our communities.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. smack

smack Avatar

I've also lobbied to Lum that NPC schedules include visiting other towns, visiting other NPCs and sharing knowledge. If they implement such a feature, there's nothing to say those NPCs can't also visit player towns and interact with the NPCs there too.

19. Duke Gréagóir

The only PvP event I can find on the forums is

The Bear Tavern Brawl
    Sunday July 27th noon cst (6pm UTC+1)

I thought there was another one. Does anyone know.

I still think maybe we should do it 1 hour before The Bear Tavern Brawl if we have 3 player-ran towns participating. Four to six or more player-ran towns would increase it by an hour earlier. Or maybe do it on Saturday July 26th at noon ( if no other events are going on then).

In R7 we did:
    PaxLair to
    Celtic Holdfast to
    The Bear Tavern

Are there any other player-ran towns interested? I will make a link to this thread in the player-ran town area if this one was not moved.

Time Lord and Winfield like this.
  20. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

whats about the Order of the Vengeance PvP Tournament? :)
    avatarscircle.com/community-events

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.