1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat and PVP team update!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And my belief is that the most important factor (As has been with gaming guilds for as long as they've been in existance) is who the person in posession is. If you trust the owner/guildmaster/CEO of your corp in Eve, then well and good. If you do not, then it is likely best if you don't associate with that group and find another with a leader who you feel trustworthy and a culture that fits you. There's really nothing at the root different about player settlements. And, as with guilds, occasionally things are going to blow up. Things are going to change, and guildmasters/settlement owners are going to go off the deep end. I see no solution for that, nor do I see that changing as the human element is the most volatile.

Again, it comes back to trusting the owner/leader. And yes, trusting someone else always carries risk, whether you're speaking of a game, or business, or love.

As to the advantages of living in a Player settlement vs. an NPC settlement... There is some control over who your neighbors are. Participate in the land grab, and you live next to whomever claims the lot next door. Live in a Player settlement, and you have a good opportunity to find a settlement of like minded people whose goals and aspirations are more likely to be in line with your own.

So the question to "Why live in a player settlement?" is the same as the answer for "Why join a guild?" or any other similar virtual construct: For the community.

Oh, and there's the whole sitting back and eating popcorn and tipping back a cold one while watching the land grab unfold. :)

Time Lord, Gaelis, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, but it isn't exactly the same as joining a guild is it ? A guild may have requirements and expectations, but living under a Lord in a Player Settlement may or may not, may only be for RP right ?

There is also the matter of locations - you don't get to decide exactly where the player town is, only the biome and some details about the lots and the general quadrant - For those of us looking for unique locations, the freedom to explore and find those first may trump committing to and living in a player town.

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually having a Lord having the ownership of all the land sounds about right in a RP situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but much of the land in England today is owned by Nobles still. Back in the old days, you lived on land owned by the elite class. They could force you to move if they wanted.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Right but, as a lord you could never accept another lord kicking you out of your lot. At least, I wouldn't.

So in that regard, having a lot where there is no ownership, other than by portalarium ultimately, there is no danger if the player quits the game, dies in RL, etc, where then questions over ownership of the town will be raised, none of those issues are there.

What does happen in those events ? Does the player town just disappear and all the lots revert to deeds ? Does it become a "NPC town"?

What if you live in a town where you don't want PvP and it starts that way and then the Owner decides to open it for PvP ?

I'm not advocating for or against player towns or communities, I just want people to be aware they're making a conscious decision when they join a player town to have to deal with those things.

For me, there are too many variables, unless I owned the town, which then it would be awesome :)

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The only lord is the one who owns the land. The other guy might have a title but he doesn't own the land so big deal.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

So, going back to the topic of the thread. ;)

Didn't Chris say no reagents this release?

I'm curious what they're going to do with magic until then. You can't really test it very well at this stage. If it requires reagents and has fizzle, etc, it needs to be pretty powerful to justify all the extra needed doodads, BUT if you balance it for reagents without requiring them (yet), it will be simply better than anything else. If you don't power it up, since reagents aren't in the mix yet, you're not really testing it very well.

I'm curious to find out how the team is handling that. 6 days is too long to wait. :p

Ragnabrock, Time Lord and Samlee like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

All of the concerns and points you raise are valid, though the locations of the player owned settlements will be know prior to release, and prior to the land grab, so you should be able to shop around and see if there is a unique location that meets your specifications in a player owned settlement. I'd imagine there will be wild variation in the requirments and expectations that owners have for those residing in their settlements. Again, you'll need to find the fit that is right for you.
    And this is how I view my Village. I will be a Knight holding lands granted me by Lord British in his name. I will be a (virtual) Feudal Lord.
    It is as Isaiah suggests... If you're a Captain of a Naval Vessel, and step onto the deck of another Captain's vessel, you come under his command. The situation is similar with a player owned settlement. If this limitation, as with all the others mentioned, isn't something you wish to accept, so be it.
    Again, all the points you mention are valid and should have answers, especially the "Lost or Missing Owner" problems, but again, they're the same problems that have been problems with guilds since they have existed. There is nothing new here. With the PvP question, you adapt or move because, unlike an actual feudal lord, the settlement owner will not also own your person. That's a simple one.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

All good and for my part I am sorry for derailing the thread. I thought we were talking about Player Settlements :)

I'm now watching the Player Town Settlement hangout. My questions may be answered there.

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Have a link? I'm not sure I've seen that one.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

@Chris
    Well gang... there went Chris's thread :p and don't feel bad Chis, the same process happened to Darkstarr's thread. After the adda'boys, came some clear to the point questions from some of our better scholars, which then lead to some answers, yet then exploded people's minds into dreaming of what could be in a larger world's dreams, because it's all connected.

I do hope the Developers reveal the equipment used for your battle encounters, because if Lum was using a pre-programmable mouse, then this is not anything inside the virtual world to be kept as some quest secret of discovery, this is a piece of hardware that every player needs to know about, because of it's ability to be purchased and just as any hardware requirement, needs to become well known ahead of time, so that everyone will know "the preferred equipment" for our game. Just as the player needs to know ahead of purchase, about the computing requirements necessary to play.

We often times are reminded, that we do not want macro's to rule our game, if the mouse or control unit has a preferred piece of equipment, then this is no macro program, "it's a preferred piece of equipment for optimal game play"<---<<< just as any computer game box off the shelf should read for the consumer.

Also I would like to point out, that any battles that you have evaluated the game with that would cause your mental design of the game to be changed, needs to keep the leveling of the playing field for optimal play balance for evaluation purposes. I do realize that basically one guy stands and takes a hit and you compute result to damage in most evaluative tests, just as one guy runs, while the other cast a spell to see if in need to, or not, follow the target, yet in such a test, if the caster is using a faster hardware computer equipment, then you may not get the speed of the spell calculated as well as you may like it to be.

My purposes of this post is not to slam. I've am merely speaking from an analytical view of design perspective to field use. I was one of the first field testers of many things such as simple "laser tag", which was once a US Army project created between General Dynamics, Zenith, Texas Instruments and a few others.... as well as being a field tester of many other things. So I am more interested in hardware design than I am about any secret of how a fire ball works, "it all goes boom to me"... Yet the hardware is the key.

Our public does not need to be kept in the dark as to our hardware's ability, just as I know my small MSI CR650 Lap Top Computer would not be optimal for running our game.
    "What mouse or controls did everyone use?"

Yet on a lighter point of subject, "make no doubt, I'm coming for you Lum and only one will virtually walk away" You can bet on that ;)!
    and let Darkstarr know that his thread's been doing well in new ideas and not just one, but a bunch of pages :)
    A Question that is In Our Public Interests,
    ~Time Lord~o_O

12. Samlee

Samlee Avatar

What Time Lord said... about computer hardware and accessories deemed "suitable" to play SotA. What do "minimum requirements" for computer systems mean, in terms of playing multi-player PvP?

I'm an antique old geezer with stiff fingers and cluttered mind, using a five year old Dell tower (Inspiron 546, AMD Anthlon II X4 620 Processor 4 CPUs ~2.6 GHz, ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series type garnstarkles and gillpress gadgets/gizmos inside), G510 keyboard (that I really need to learn how to program!), and G500 mouse. Can I go head to head with my young friend who is likely packing an Alienwear Aurora (drool... slobber) to the battle?

I'd really love to use my vastly superior Wisdom (gags Karrolanth! "Hush!") to kick Zantul's Young Computer Nerd butt in PvP, but have serious doubts that my current system will allow it.

What say you?

-Sam

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"What Sir Samlee Said +1... "me" :( I'm old :p

I went with the top of the line and latest Steelseries APEX Gaming Keyboard.... cost me around $100.00 bucks USD and I'm so far "very happy and giddy about it!"
    I can set literally everything up for normal or have a complete set of new macro functions that I can change "very easily" between any game set of Maros or keyboard design that I wish to at any time.
    Just a review I thought may help everyone and especially my fellow old geezer friend Sir Samlee ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

14. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Hate to burst your bubble but $100 for a keyboard is mid-range these days. I am typing this at work on my $130 keyboard (Tesoro Durandal, it is awesome and has ties to the mythological sword Durandal) but there are plenty of people here with > $150 keyboards

Samlee and Time Lord like this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Ya, here in north Thailand it's hard to get anything unless you know the right shop to get to, so that's the top of the line here :) and certainly the most expensive keyboard I've ever cracked my wallet open to buy. I like the macro key setup on it but now I'll be wondering just what to set to what ;) I see you're from DFW there kadumel... well that's where the ~TL~ was before he moved here to amazing Thailand That Tesoro Durandal keyboard does look nice but it's the accessibility of the Macro keys on the left side of the SteelSeries APEX that sold me on it because no matter how blind I get in my old age, they're large enough and illuminated enough that even I can see them o_O I always disliked having to set my talking keys to macros because it made my Avatar talk funny :p I'm holding off on the programmable mouse thingy until I get more of a feel for this new keyboard to see if I even need it. I'm not so sure I want my right hand worked so much... or not :confused:
    BTW I left a flock of the Walt Disney Dove over there by Eastfield College that I was using for my Time experiments there on the other side of the world... so if you're ever out that way and see a flock of all white pigeons flying by... just tell'em Time Lord said not to crap on your windshield :p
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

16. Retro

Retro Avatar

The Steelseries APEX Gaming Keyboard is a great, if it was mechanical I would have gotten it. That' why I'm waiting for the new Corsair MX RGB Keyboard. I want cherry MX brown switches, I think a gaming keyboard should have some macro support and I'm a big fan of the multi-color support.

Tesoro keyboards are great (I prefer Ducky), this claim made me lol...

(Tesoro Durandal, it is awesome and has ties to the mythological sword Durandal):D
    I'm sure that's in marketing name only ;)
    but yes you are correct $100 is sadly mid-range for a gaming keyboard nowadays....

As far as age, seems like everyone's "old" around here, I squeaked into the SotA median age group this year, but it's not how old you are it's how old you feel, and how well you take care of yourself.

Back on topic...;)
    I hope decapitation animations are implementing into the code, would love to see some heads flying or an arm or two in R8!
    (Please note if decapitation animations are included in R8, please do not attempt to eat:eek::confused: the severed limbs, this will break the virtues system! The Oracle will be watching!)
    [​IMG]

crossbowsoda, Time Lord and Samlee like this.
  17. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

My keyboard was seven dollars. I've used it for eight years.

18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

My keyboard came with my laptop. Gratis. :p

19. smack

smack Avatar

I just threw money at the screen after reading that. Severed limbs and body parts that we can pick up and use in crafting or decorations!

Time Lord, Samlee and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I wonder if we can pick them up and use them in combat! ;)

Siriustar, Time Lord and Samlee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.