Organizing the first player-run city with a crafting and trading theme

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Jatvardur, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I wondered when you would start to give feedback on this idea. ;-) Thanks again for your numerous contributions.

Yes there is a rough plan to optimise but if you can see a better way to do something (even incrementally better) then feel free to post. My initial thoughts have been concerned with economic optimisation, and admittedly less so on crafting but you would be correct in guessing that to be an over-sight.

Grouping vendors by type is a good idea, can't recall if that was explicitly mentioned but definitely one to think on. If you any sketches you'd want to share then please do. No work has been done on grouping crafting tables, input is welcome on that.

All the NPC lots will be open, not sure what functions they will provide yet. Beyond that I couldn't really estimate how many players will have an open lot.

For the second question: nothing yet.

Brian likes this.
  2. aevans

aevans Avatar

It looks like the current limiting factor is going to be the purchase of Coal, Salt, and Wax (and probably others as more skills come on line). Does anyone know if these are (or will be) available through anything other than NPC vendors? If not the trick is setting up shop near them to reduce the amount of travel time to refill on supplies.

A Player Owned Metropolis has:
    Central Square with 15 NPC owned buildings
    Add On Store Houses:
    4 Add On Store Village Houses
    4 Add On Store Town Houses
    4 Add On Store City Houses

Dishing out those houses to people who provide an open lot, I'd look at the following setup for crafting/trade.
    2 Village Pavilions each with
    1 Milling Station
    1 Carpentry Station
    1 or more Player Vendors with raw materials for sale

1 Barn 2-Story Village Home with
    2 Smelting Stations
    2 Blacksmithing Stations
    1 nearby NPC Vendor selling coal
    1 or more Player Vendors with leather goods for sale
    1 or more Player Vendors with ingots and bars for sale
    1 or more Player Vendors with wooden handles for sale

1 Wood & Plaster 3-Story with Open Floor Plan Village Home with
    1 Tanning Station
    1 Textiles Station
    1 Tailoring Station
    1 Dyeing Station (or tubs or whatever)
    1 nearby NPC Vendor selling salt and wax

1 Wood & Plaster 2-Story with Balcony Town Home
    1 Butchery Station
    1 Cooking Station

1 Druid or Tower Town Homes each with
    1 Alchemy Station

Note: this takes up over 1/3 of a Holdfast
    I'd line up the pavilion, barn, and open floor plan home
    and place them just outside of the central square.
    Then repeat on the opposite side of the central square.
    Crafting Stations needed:
    2 Milling Station
    2 Carpentry Station
    2 Smelting Stations
    2 Blacksmithing Stations
    1 Tanning Station
    1 Textiles Station
    1 Tailoring Station
    1 Dyeing Station (or tubs or whatever)
    1 Butchery Station
    1 Cooking Station
    1 Alchemy Station

15 crafting stations minimum for one set of buildings. Start doubling from the top as more crafting stations become available. Assuming each resident player with crafting stations in their pledge donates half, it needs (twice this if placing a set of buildings on each side of the central square):

8 Lords
    or 4 Lord Marshals+
    or lots of generous Knights that like to round fractions up

Hopefully lots of NPCs will sell us their coal and salt and wax. Then tell us who their supplier is so we can cut out the middle man.

Brian and Jatvardur like this.
  3. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

If you are setting up a town I think the first things you will need to know are how many players are visible at one time no point in having 100 plots if the maximum owners you will see is 64, organise a meet with other that are planning player towns see what lag 100 decorated houses with a 100 players in the instance generates.

4. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

To expand on a previous mention of design restrictions I had a few ideas for the row housing areas to improve the look -

- No placing the same property besides each other (ie can't put 4 story wood and plaster houses side by side, it looks bad)
    - Each row of houses must use the same design (wood and plaster or the blue tile houses are the theme for a row)

On the other housing types it will be more difficult to enforce these restrictions because they are included at various pledge levels but since row housing will be so abundant it seems like a logical rule IMO.

5. Sinuage

Sinuage Avatar

Hello,

I would like to join and help create this city. My brother and I used to play UO back in the day and I can't wait for this to come out. I am new to this forum as I just heard about the game from my brother. He will be playing as well, and I imagine he will want to join too.

I plan to get up to lord marshall and would love a town spot (city council spot) close to the town hall/town center. I plan to contribute to the town trade and some defense (combat skills) as well. I am still a little up in the air, but I think I'm leaning toward being your (one of your) alchemist/enchanters. Still a lot to consider. I plan on making mules as well to gather and do some blacksmithing and carpentry.

If possible I would like reserve at least 1, but up to 3 village lots (on top of the town lot for me) for my brother and 2 friends if they join. I'm sure we are still working things out but I'd like for my brother to be close to me then the other two houses close to each other, if close to me great if not I understand. They are two brothers and friends of mine. Can't say for sure yet if they will play, but my brother will.

Feel free to pm me with details, I read through the thread and I think kickstarter or something is a good idea to launch from.

As to the posts above how could they put so many lots in a city then only allow 64 or so players to live at once? If that is the case we should downgrade to save money!!

The cutoff for purchases is the end of the year correct? Thought I read that somewhere. I will be getting there in the coming months.

Brian and Jatvardur like this.
  6. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I am the recent owner of a small but growing town which is intended to be a merchantile and trade city. This town will be known as Port Phoenix. Perhaps there is some cross collaboration between us which can be done. :) Especially since we will be a port town.

Sinuage and Jatvardur like this.
  7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Apologies for the slow response. I read this a while back but life has been hectic (badness 10000!)

Good question. I suspect players will be able to gather them, the emphasis is towards a player-run economy at least. It may not be the case, so perhaps the NPC buildings in a player-run town can meet this need. As you say, the location will be important: reduce travel time to maximize crafting time.

8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Not desperate to restrict what type of housing people can place. Generally causes more upset than it solves. But I understand your sentiment on this one.

Brian likes this.
  9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Welcome to the forums and the game. I hope you get up to the level you want and hopefully your friends come and join too.

The exact mechanism for distributing houses hasn't been decided nor how many of each type. I've outlined some suggestions of what might happen and how things might look. As you posted interest early then you will 'score' higher on that factor. If your friends join the forums and post in here then I can add them to the list too. I think we are still early enough in the planning stage to be flexible with requirements but have enough of a vision to push things in the right direction.

I like the kickstarter idea too although community members who have said that they will back this project would prefer just to use the add-on store. I'll go with the consensus though.

I was thinking about alchemy too, but going to wait and test it in the pre-alphas before deciding. :)

Brian likes this.
  10. Azufel

Azufel Avatar

My brother Sinuage told me about this thread here and this sounds awesome! I'm interested in getting in on this! I just learned about this game the other day and it was like a dream come true! I played uo for ages, and it was my first love! I'm looking for a mining/smithing apprenticeship, and I'm trying to push for the Navigator pledge. I'm dedicated and in this game for the long haul, so I hope I can be a part of this and help see it come to fruition! :)

Sinuage, Jatvardur and Brian like this.
  11. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

I just wanted to comment after listening to the hangout on player towns. I found it reassuring and positive. They love to use the term template when talking about town design, which initially made me a bit leery. But, Starr clearly says if you want to have input on the layout of your town, submit your ideas and proposals and they will see what they can do. It sure sounds like their hearts are in the right place on this.

So, I am more positive now ;-) And I was positive to begin with.

Sinuage, Soleidad and Jatvardur like this.
  12. Sinuage

Sinuage Avatar

I'm still up in the air but if we have a blacksmith and Jatvardur going alch/enchant? I may go with carpentry or tailoring depending on need.

13. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

Sin, I am thinking there would be plenty of room in a City or Metropolis for MANY of any given profession... I think there would be many of all types of crafter. I hope we continue to generate interest and make this thing happen.

Jatvardur and kadumel like this.
  14. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

Jatvardur likes this.
  15. Sinuage

Sinuage Avatar

Yeah very true. Just so excited and I keep looking at the skill trees! Do we have any idea the rough amount of skills we will be able to get? Would a full on blacksmith that knows everything still be able to pick up some combat? I saw that they have crafting xp and combat xp, but not sure the extent of it. The auction house idea seems like a must have for this type of city. I also feel like I've seen an interview with RG where he mentions them. Maybe they already have an idea in mind to implement them.

Jatvardur likes this.
  16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Are you referring to skill *points* ? Under the current thinking, the number of skill points will be unlimited, constrained only by the amount of time you intend to put into achieving them.

Combat and Crafting skill points are completely separate pools. You can be a Master in Crafting and a Master in Combat with the *same* character, provided you want to put the effort into doing such. :)

Sinuage and Jatvardur like this.
  17. Sinuage

Sinuage Avatar

Wow that sounds great, can't wait to see how it ends up. Yeah I meant skill points or like in UO how many total skills could you master, which was 7.

Duke NRaas likes this.
  18. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

Hi,

Only pledged to the game yesterday so am a real noob and no idea of the game mechanics. I'm an original UO player from way back in 1997 (I'm old!!), this thread has caught my interest as there is a lot of thought going into the guild development, also I;m a Brit and it looks a Brit formed guild :).

It's very early days for me so I'll keep an eye out here to see how things progress.

Would I be right in thinking that guilds, towns etc are not yet part of the game?

Be great to meet up in game some time, so hopefully see you soon.

mbomber and Jatvardur like this.
  19. Sinuage

Sinuage Avatar

Yeah the guilds and player run towns are all still to come, I got on for the pvp release for a bit but haven't had a chance to really jump in.

Jatvardur likes this.
  20. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Welcome on board! This is definitely an idea for the long hail. I need to set up a separate section of my guild website for discussing this town.

I'm behind with SOTA at the moment. Currently on vacation and missed this video as well as R8!

There are enough players to allow everyone to choose the skills they desire. :)

Welcome to you too. I'm from the UK but I wouldn't exactly say it is a UK guild / town. All folks are welcome, of course, but I think quite a few of the interest players are American (possibly more Americans than Brits too!).

It isn't necessary to place your first and only house in this town, but if you do that's great. Players at higher pledge levels with second homes are more than welcome to place their second home here. I see no point in trying to force players to settle here.

Guilds / towns are all in the development pipeline. As you might know by now the game is still in the development stage and these features don't yet appear in the pre-alpha releases.

Feel free to contribute ideas too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.