Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Prepping for R9 - Some Important Mechanic Changes

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Exodus2, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

I've put up enough review/feedback/tip posts, but I didn't cover some of the combat mechanics that I feel need to be tweaked before the next release. I am not getting into skills any more than I have as there is enough great feedback on individual skills from the community. These are strictly game play mechanics that could use tweaking.

1: Contrl+Hotkey Discarding: Holding control makes your character stop moving. This needs a workaround or fix other than right clicking the slugs out of your hand. We simply need to keep moving if control is held down.

2: Line of Sight: Line of sight is too large of an arc that even allows hitting people who are perpendicular to you and even slightly behind you on the side. It needs to be more of a V. Some spells even work if you start casting while facing the enemy. They will continue casting even if the enemy breaks LoS.

Line of Sight also functions strange when you are on uneven terrain. You clearly have a line of sight to the enemy, but can't cast because of a small bump on the ground or you're on a slope.

3: Diminishing Returns: Each player needs an internal mechanic called diminishing returns in which they build up resits to negative status effects such as root, stun, snare, knockdown. After they suffer a few of one of these statuses, they become immune to the effect until the Diminishing Returns falls off. This can also function as a building DR where they build immunity by being put into the negative status and lose the immunity over-time eg: 0/25/50/75/100/75/50/25/0.

4: Casting in the Water: It may lead to some odd looking animations, but currently running into the water is a foolproof escape method. If you get out of range, they can't cast while swimming. Solution: using skills while in the water.

5: Delay in damage taken: When a fight starts, as a melee, the first hit on a player deals damage and appears to be instantly healed. I imagine this is the game synchronizing the target health bar with the actual numeric target health. Either way, it appears like the first hit or two don't deal ANY damage. Sometimes the damage happens 5 seconds later. It's a bit buggy. Even more dramatic.. sometimes melee damage doesn't deal to the target until 10 seconds later making it look like a big comeback win when it was really a good fight.

6: Targeting: A few issues with targeting.

Targeting has about a 20 foot range. You can see enemy players from a far greater distance than you can target them. This also goes for seeing names and party member identifiers.

It would be nice to have a Target of Target frame as well so you can see who is being attacked, but this is not completely necessary yet.

7: Action Floating Text: Floating Text or a sound effect for "blocked" "miss" "Stun" "Evaded" "absorbed" etc would be great for understanding why some of your attacks are not dealing damage or dealing less than normal. That way you can adjust some of your stats/skills to add accuracy or block rate or some other helpful tweak.

Feel free to add any additional MECHANIC changes you feel should be addressed before delving into more pvp balancing.

2. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

[​IMG]

Kaisa, Duke NRaas and Slayer Exodus like this.
  3. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

Haha Tek. Not sure what your Vader means but even a sound effect for miss/blocked/evaded would work for me

4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

You can start autoattacking using the attack, by default the T key. You probably have to be within range before autoattack starts. I did notice that even if you are dealing cards, you aren't necessarily attacking anyone. So you can unsheath your weapon and have cards being dealt, but you won't autoattack, even if you are within range. You need to initiate autoatacking by pressing the target key, fire off a skill or spell, or double click the target. If you kill someone and target someone else, you need to initiate autoattacka gain. Though I never tried, based on my experiments with autoattack, I suspect that even changing targets would require one of the three actions to initiate autoattack again.

Espada and Slayer Exodus like this.
  5. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

Thank you. I will edit my initial post to remove the attacking issue.

6. Guards

Guards Avatar

+1 everything in op

I felt almost the exact same feels during r8

Slayer Exodus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.