Will or should question marks above heads of NPCs make it into the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Should SotA feature question marks above heads of NPCs as quest indicators?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2014.
  1. Yes, definitely!

2.9%
  2. Nooooooo!!!!

79.7%
  3. It should be at least optional.

17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Well we have a disagreement then. It seems you are hot and bothered about some question mark thing that is not going to be added to the game, by design. I on the other hand do not exactly know what it takes to add the question marks with the type of dialog system they are building. You are right. It may be very simple for them to add question marks, and add a toggle. Still I don't want them to waste the time on it. My opinion is just as valid as yours, and also I don't want them to build a game I didn't pledge for.

Kaisa and Sir Cabirus like this.
  2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

BZZZZT. What have we won here Alex?

An example of code that is so overly complex we shouldn't spend the 10 minutes to make it happen (applause).

define function (draw stupid stuff that is in view range for which we are already doing for other things like "names")
    if player in range of some stupid thing:
    (unity!) StupidArrowOverNPC.GameObject.visible =PLAYER.CONFIG.OPTION.ARROWOVERHEADON;
    end if

This is not some outside the box, so difficult to suck up so much resources, thing.

Just because you see no value in it ON, turn it OFF.

Coding "options" for things/loops/cycles they ALREADY DO, is a standard of practice for code work, day in and out.

Cheers.

sgt_pEppEr, Bramagola and Korvash like this.
  3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

An optional question mark sounds reasonable at a first glance. But I don't like this option because I'm sometimes weak and always in a hurry. So this option could tempt me to use questions marks. And if I've used this option once - who knows? Maybe I'll use it forever then ;) But actually I will not use them. Therefore I don't like optional question marks - just to protect me against my weakness :)

Akro likes this.
  4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I wasn't plannin gon going here with a comment, but question marks are already in the game; they are just not designed to be question marks. If you've spent time in Owl's Head over the last couple of releases you've likely seen that the npcs have gotten a lot chaiter lately. Randall takes to Myra about here brother. Mroton has always lamemted about his book and needing another drink. But if you spend a little bit of time near the villagers, even the villagers and merchants near the guardhouse talk about Morton. I beleive that someone even mention Bentham. These are the ones I can think off the top of my head. These are subbtle hints and clues that suggest you talk to someone; the equivalent of having question marks without having question marks. Personally I think it is well designed and doesn't require the need for a question mark type mechanic.

Gaelis, rune_74, Sir Cabirus and 2 others like this.
  5. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I agree, like you said maybe it is simple for them to implement how long it actually takes to do it though does not matter to me. I don't care if it is a single button press I do not want to see question marks and exclamation marks over npc heads in this game. They have made it quite clear they do not want this game to have those things, that is one reason I pledge for this game. If I wanted to play the same old mmo I would go back and play Rift or WoW or EQ and so on.

Gaelis and Sir Cabirus like this.
  6. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Oh. I'm sorry that I'm not as smart or worldly as you are. Thanks for correcting me. I now stand corrected, (a second time I might add). Thank you very much.

7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

No problem, glad to do it.

8. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you.

I don't like it, but sincerely, thank you. I have a tendency to think my reasoning is better than it is at times.

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  9. Khloec

Khloec Avatar

We only play through the story once generally. It would be a shame to take any mystery or adventure out of the game and hurry the process with making indicators for quests as such. Quest indicators will encourage people to rush the story, not taking in the world or the areas they visit as much as if there were not any. Maybe an option to turn on for the ones in a rush, but certainly not on by default. And not for me.
    The highlighted clickable's like doors was very immersion breaking for me. They could certainly be toned down if they are kept.

Sir Cabirus and Vendetta Beretta like this.
  10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

[​IMG]
    If you need them - i have a alternative suggestion . Grin

Kaisa and Khloec like this.
  11. !(Blood0men)!

!(Blood0men)! Avatar

I'd like Questing to have some sort of challenge to them, reguardless of level, otherwise things get boring, dull and to trivial to get things done.

When I get a quest done, I want to work at it; it tells me something that I accomplished even if it's a short Quest or one that Takes a while to complete. ;)

Khloec and Kaisa like this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I guess we could also ask for an auto complete quest button.

13. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

That is a personal choice. Do not punish others for a lack of self control.

Not all of us are of media spaz, quick change channel now generation.

14. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I can't agree more!!!

Oh and the fact that other players rush the content without reading about it affect us all. When you go to MP and ask another avatar about content. It decreases the richness of the world created by the devs.

Sir Cabirus and Myrcello like this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think everyone should have an ! above there head. Makes a better target!

Caska DiFumarate and Gaelis like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I had another thought. I truly don't think question marks or any thing like that will ever come into play in this game. Quests are meant to be invisible, secretive, and only fleshed out by conversation. This is Richards dream, that this game have depth.

You will accidentally discover a quest by talking or overhearing a comment being made, or you may find something....
    and when you examine it you could be knocked back with some energy in it that leads you to discovering what is this all about,

or you could discover a body with a note on it that sends you on a quest to discover the mystery around the death,

or something is burning in the campfire that will catch your attention, but perhaps BEWARE you should not pick it up since it is cursed, .......

if it is then you may have to go on a hunt for curse removal that has lowered your resistance or energy levels or whatever until you find the cure.

So many wonderful possibilities, we don't need no stinkin question marks, our whole game will be a quest of discoveries and interactions. :)

Isn't it awesome? I can't wait. ***cheers***

17. !(Blood0men)!

!(Blood0men)! Avatar

Wouldn't a Bullseye be better??

[​IMG]
    :p

18. GamerQuest

GamerQuest Avatar

I made a post over in the Game Features/NPC's and Companions forum and Duke NRaas was kind enough to point me to this thread. I will just post here what I posted over there.
    So if they do decide to use icons over NPC's heads, would'nt the Serpent symbol be a much better choice?

Joviex likes this.
  19. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

No that's what fire elementals are for.

20. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.