Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat system r8 -- A Blast!

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Brass Knuckles, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

I disagree. I wore heavy armor because I dislike playing a caster and prefer melee, but certainly not because I thought it was a superior choice. At this stage of development, I think heavy armor melee is the least survivable choice, one on one. I did well in our group battles, but not because I had a good build, but rather because I had the support of a good team.

Too easily kited, no protection from spell damage I could see, too hard to close, and too many slugs.

The biggest advantage in a group fight for a heavy armor wearer is that you are not immediately targeted because you are not considered a threat. Everyone instead is attacking the casters, which actually allowed me a fairly free reign. Unless I was separated from the group, I typically came out of a fight undamaged, while my caster teammates would be healing up or resurrecting. Not because I was well protected, but because I was ignored. This let me kill quite a few folk actually. They would be fighting our casters so hard, it was almost like they couldn't see the guy at their back slamming them with a two handed axe.

I thought it to be a bit odd.

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Agreed. It seems to me they could get rid of the focus penalty for a static bar altogether. The advantage of using card combat is combos. Since a static bar won't have any combos, no need to further penalize those players.

docdoom77 likes this.
  3. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Im sorry but youre wrong maybe you didnt use the right setup

while I could beat the majority of people 1v1 on my caster that sepecific setup (heavy armour root and axe) seemed unbeatable to me and Ive tried all possible setups for my caster

the axe is not even necessary but it does big damage I would either get killed right away in 3 hits if my heals were interrupted or I would run out of focus before I could kill them. The 2 setups I liked most were fire mage and thwe other was a more mobile setup using only spells that didnt require cast time.
    With the fire setup it was a gamble if lucky I could kill him off if he had bad cards or slugs but not on a regular base
    With the mobile setup I would run out of focus before I could kill them that means no more healing or damage I could just watch and hope he didnt have another root

I was still able to kill many warriors but those used a bad setup imo some of them were simply unbeatable

Espada likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't think I'm necessarily wrong, but it is fair to say I didn't test your set up. Did it occur to you that maybe your setup was bad with respect to fighting that armor weapon combination? ;)

Regardless, I've been thinking more about heavy armor, and I have arrived at some different conclusions that I'll be posting in a separate thread.

5. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

hehe nice one how about this u play with any mage setup in cloth armour and Ill play the heavy armour setup I mentioned but be warned once root kicks in tears will start flowing :p

Espada likes this.
  6. Retro

Retro Avatar

@Owain @Lord Spaz

I think you are both a bit wrong:), it's not a question of armor (which is mostly useless at his point as Owain stated) it's a question of starting range...I'll paraphrase my other post...

For some reason it seems like warriors think they should be able to kill mages 100% of the time...umm Mage vs. Warrior is really a question of range...

People are claiming mages are OP right now and that every 1 on 1 tournament being dominated by mages is proof, this hardly proof.

Every 1 on 1 tournament that I watched the mage was allowed to start at the EXTREME edge of their range, this is hardly fair scenario...

Lets face it all things being "equal" mages are SUPPOSED to beat warriors almost 100% of the time given maximum distance, 50% of the time at medium distance and they should be at severe disadvantage (loosing most of the time when starting at 0 distance).

I PVP'ed a lot during R8 as a mage (mainly because someone said they were not viable during the early Dev+ test, think it was Isaiah;)) and I think I did pretty well, but the range thing definitely held true, mages were successful against warriors based primarily on starting range (and Alpha Strike)...Amazing how quickly that opinion changed when R8 opened up to everyone suddenly, the tune was now "Mages and root are OP, burn them at the stake, kill on sight :mad:" How quickly opinions change :rolleyes:

For a fair mage vs. warrior PVP 1 on 1 match it would have to be something like best of 7, with matches occurring, zero distance, medium distance, and far distance then repeat...

There's a reason the gun won the arms race...range.;)

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  7. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't do mages, and I don't do duels either, so thanks for the offer, but probably not.

I've posted my further thoughts on heavy armor for anyone who is interested. You can find it here.

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  8. Espada

Espada Avatar

My experience in R8 summarizes as follows:
    From left to right - Melee s/s *beats* Melee 2hnd *beats* Caster *beats* Melee s/s.

Not that this is mandatory but it was the tendency... All builds had their strengths and weaknesses.. Now, it also depended on the build, player's skill level and glyph's luck. However, I am willing to say that, if the builds were equally balanced, and both players had equal skill and equal luck, this would be the outcome most of the time.

Simply, for a caster to win the battle against a good 2hnd melee, he would need to know when to burst his dmg, cc properly, hope his opponent didn't heal at critical times and made sure he didn't get cc'd/hammered to death. The build was difficult to beat for a caster and I believe that only a good s/s could take it down consistently on a fair fight.

Now.. There was a 1hnd blade whirlwind bug that was 1 shooting casters for 80 dmg... It was pretty brutal.. But that was not fair.. You hear me Enio Fernandez? Not fair man.. Lol

9. Espada

Espada Avatar

Oh come on Spaz! It was not that bad, was it? :p

On a serious note, Spaz was among the best out there..

Looking forward to playing with you again.

10. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

it was :( but Ill stop moaning already :p as darkstarr stated it was a very early state it was to be expected

thx for the kind words :) looking forward to it as well

Retro likes this.
  11. Retro

Retro Avatar

My experiences were slightly different..because it mostly seemed to depend on starting range...

As a caster, starting a MAXIMUM range, I feel I could beat any warrior in the game* in R8 1 on 1 combat, especially as a Bow\Mage or a D.O.T. Mage (Eley + staff or wand)
    (*exception bugged sword damage builds :))

Against other casters, 50% chance at all ranges...

Starting a fight against a plate wearing, 2-h warrior at 0 distance was a death sentence, lost most of the time...As it should be in IMHO...

I can't believe how much everyone is downplaying the importance of "Starting Range" it's a huge factor for casters and the reason why they won so many PVP tournaments.

I was shocked when I entered a Vengeance PVP tournament and was allowed to start my matches against warriors at the extreme edge of my targeting range, By the time they got to me they had to be in full time healing mode, while I could just unload made it too easy.;)

12. Retro

Retro Avatar

The more I think about this formula observation the more I think it's correct, and that I personally witnessed and experienced it, but I would add to the formula this observation that it is only true at "medium or less starting range" with mages increasing in power as range > medium distance. (as it should be...)

I personally don't think the balance is as far off as people think*, people were just doing silly things like letting mages start 1 on 1 pvp matches from half a mile away;)

(Exception swords wtf...:D)

13. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

All formulas and concepts we have about PvP are likely going to change dramatically.

Retro likes this.
  14. Retro

Retro Avatar

Formula is the wrong choice of words, should have said "Observation", but I agree PVP is going to under go a lot of change...but what a great start! :)

15. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Combos will change a lot of things as well. Keeping in mind that full Dallas mode will be a severe penalty since none of those locked glyphs will be able to form combos because they have become "noble skills" according to the PvP mega post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.