1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Navigation through New Britannia

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

exactly

2. GamerQuest

GamerQuest Avatar

The map reminds me exactly of Ultima Forever on the iPad. Boy did that game die quick.

There is a game in early alpha named The Dead Linger that is using the Unity engine. They are working on a way to "load" into the next zone without stopping the action. Here is a video on what they have come up with.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and herradam like this.
  3. herradam

herradam Avatar

Wow. Very impressive. I may actually have to buy this game.

GamerQuest likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hmm, I wonder if Portalarium could apply this technology somehow to SotA. Maybe not (only) to "link" scenes together but for a smoother transition from overworld to scene view...

GamerQuest likes this.
  5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It appears the method they are using is to load minimal resources and entering the scene then continuing to load while you roam. I suggested doing something along those lines in another thread to decrease load times. Currently I believe it loads 100% of the hex(Unity Scene) before you enter, I was pretty sure there was an alternative way of doing it just like that game seems to have done.

It does appear that the load takes longer (note the icon at the bottom spinning)... I wonder if they have it working with Mobs yet, they didn't show a zombie in their new version.

GamerQuest and Kaisa like this.
  6. GamerQuest

GamerQuest Avatar

The loading change was just put in as a hotfix to their lastest build 14. Hopefully, improvements should be seen in build 15. Currently there is a little bit of stuttering when the loading takes place. I can confirm that they hotfixed to 14c and now during the load you can play, fight or do whatever you want. The team seems confident that they will be able to smooth out the studdering.

7. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, we talked about this in another thread. Unity has some basic support to stream in scenes so you could have a somewhat open world design. But unfortunately, this will not work for SotA because of its multiplayer instancing and world design. Not saying it can't be done, but it would require them to rearchitect their multiplayer design, as well as how scenes are created so the transition between them is seamless vs. impassable mountains/forest walls everywhere.

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Application.LoadLevelAdditiveAsync.html

A couple videos that shows this in action:

8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

You don't create worlds with Unity its a scene builder, its dated now in 5 years time it will be impossible to sell EP5, yet UO will probably still be coasting along.

If its struggling to make a quick scene change with just a waving hammer on show, give me a good old server line to cross.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and dp_dropout like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If so many things are not to your liking, Wargram, why are you still here?

10. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Because I was hoping for much better. So I will keep banging on to try to get that.

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Try to give some constructive feedback then please.

12. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I have been giving lots of constructive ideas throughout all threads. I brought up the capabilities of Unity & the overland map just being an instance opener not being the sort of world that makes a good MMO environment very early in the development cycle. The change to allow multi plot land deeds/house ownership selling of Kickstarter pledges to the masses of late coming benefactors for a year these are still in place but I had every right to give my opinion on those and any others that I think are bad for the Game selling to a large player base. The Poor stretch goals that was again accompanied with selling off town instances and as usual sweetened with another mass rewards giveaway. The world as it is being completely wrong for the single player offline RPG, not everyone in the world as great broadband or can afford it, so that will be there only option to play the game. The team have never mentioned the SPO RPG its all about MMO & housing.
    My criticism as not been about the DEV's work they are constrained by Unity, it is mainly on the Projects plan its seems every thing is geared to just giving out more rewards for the sake of it.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. herradam

herradam Avatar

Recreating SotA's scenes in The Dead Linger's open world would be absolutely phenomenal and mind blowing. The tragedy is that it will never happen.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Just another example of a great looking overland map:

The new Might and Magic Heroes VII
    [​IMG]

You can even zoom down which I think looks really cool:

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I did suggest a 3 level overworld map just like in Heroes of Might and Magic... I still play HOMM3 lol

Theres stuff to do in the map, out of the map, and on the map.

Strangely the idea just slipped through unoticed...

Mishri likes this.
  16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yeah, I like heroes of might and magic... sadly I heard 6 was very buggy so I didn't play it, plus I really don't like ubisoft/uplay so I tend to avoid their games. It's a shame. I was a huge fan of the older heroes of might and magic games.

I think it's a horrible trend in PC gaming (requiring their distribution platform) I have origin, steam, windows live, uplay, battle.net in order to play all of my games. It drives me crazy and pushes me away from gaming/buying games on anything other than steam. (Which I've had forever and I have a lot of friends on it so it doesn't bother me, especially since such a huge selection is available on it)

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yea I kinda likes 4 but 5 threw me a bit off and yes I felt the strange tendancy too...

I like GoG too... :p

You put the finger right on the wound here. We're supposed to be completely indie... crowdfunded...

yet we feel the slippery slope, I didn't invest thousands to get in that hearse. And on top of that nobody seems to even know where the "pressure" to be like other games, have "stable revenue" and a "future"

you know what I think about the future right ?

HAH

so yea... I'm not dooming anyone in any of my posts recently... its just that we need to go full indie.

Simple land, courage and perseverance.

Even if we don't get to where I like about this I'll have fun with the game I'm sure everything is fine. Yet I get to know there are very good reasons my opinions go totally ignored.

What I don't doubt is especially important, and I've had tolerance for my excess of dramatization, professional service with issues related to payment and pledges... warm and sincere apologies for not granding all kickstarter promises. What I don't doubt is portalarium and the team for being humans.

I'm confident this will be the best social game ever... but thats all its destined to be if we keep looking to others success as an example instead of being REALLY who we are.

I hope I don't need to restate who we are again... and that somehow someone's heart is moved by those words. Because even if the eternal flame isn't tarnished the rose that blooms in the fortnight will shrivel in the shadow of diamonds lights fortitude.

18. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Dayum, I am getting me that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.