1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I just want your body! erm Parts! muhahahahaha!

Time Lord and Abydos like this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I would resale your liver, and a can of flava beans with it! muhahahaha!

Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Unfortunately, it is, at this point, considering the desired shape of PvP and the attitude and demeanor of the PvP Community herein represented, highly unlikely that you will ever have the opportunity to resell my liver.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

Silent Strider likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

I tend to buy new gear, since it lasts longer. Used gear will probably be worn gear, and may not be worth that much on resale. We'll have to see how markets function first before we will know if there is an impact or not.

One thing I think critics of full loot need to do is, collectively, you need to get your arguments straight. In one breathe I'm told that the demand for Open PvP/Full Loot is so low that it's a waste of time even consider it, yet in the next breath, someone like you tells me that Full Loot is a dire threat to the economy.

It can't be both, but I like your way of thinking, if you think full loot will be so wildly popular that it has a massive impact on the economy. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

But if that many people are participating, then I guess the economy will just have to adjust, since by itself, preserving prices for vendors is insufficient reason by itself to remove such a wildly popular game feature. Why should crafters take precedence over all the participants in Full Loot?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

*cries, but saves his tears.....* muhahahahaha

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Please point out where I've claimed to know the level of popularity of Open PvP or Full Loot. In fact I've stated publicly that I have no idea how popular or unpopular either or both of these options will be, and I've publicly and consistently held the position that the game would be worse if it lacked PvP.

To the best of my knowledge, I've been very consistent in my views and my arguments.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

I didn't say you. I said that collectively, critics of full loot have contradictory arguments. Some tell me that demand for full loot is microscopic. Others, like you, think that so many people will participate that the economy is threatened.

Like I say, I like your way of thinking. It's a vote of confidence on the popularity of full loot.

Thanks!

8. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I admit I stayed away from this topic for a while so I am probably out of sync on the details but from what I see, it looks like "full loot" is still being discussed and argued.

On that note, let me add my small vote/opinion. For what it's worth, I am more likely to engage in PvP if "Full Loot" is not implemented. If it is I will probably do my best to avoid PvP altogether when I can.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Collectively the PvP Community thinks that the game can't survive without non-consensual PvP, that the game is perfectly fine with consensual PvP, that Open PvP without game supported goals is worthless, that Full Loot is the only thing that makes PvP worth while... Are you claiming that the PvP community speaks with any more a singular voice than the PvE community?

Also, I've never stated that the economy would be threatened by Full Loot. The economy would be helped by full loot as it will stimulate the circulation of goods and funds through the economy. All I've stated is that Full Loot will maximize the earning potential of those who are good at it, and that my suspicion, contrary to the stated reasons commonly put forth in support of Full Loot, is that this is the primary reason for the unwavering insistence of many of the PvP community that it is a requirement and no compromise is possible. It will hand an economic advantage to those players, regardless of the popularity of PvP.

You, Sir, are fond of strawmen.

Silent Strider and Ned888 like this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

What if full loot is entirely optional, separate from Open PvP? Will you still avoid PvP?

11. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

you mentioned how you wanted to get your gear by only pvping and knowing your little kgb group Idoubt ull try to get that in a fair duel

Ned888 likes this.
  12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

@Owain

Full loot is by no means 'wildly popular'. If that were the case then it would be 'wildly popular' in most games in the industry. Further, it would have been the first model presented by the development team in this very thread.

It's only popular with a very select group of PvP participants and saying otherwise is a complete fabrication.

Mishri likes this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Excuse me? Didn't just say this a page back?
    Sounds like you were describing a threat to the economy to me.
    And you, Sir, are fond of speaking out of both sides of your mouth.[/quote][/quote]

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then you need to get together and hash this out with Rufus, because he thinks full loot is a threat to the economy, that is except when he doesn't. You have to catch him at just the right moment on this kind of stuff.

15. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

If it is separate and does not affect me or game play in general then, on that basis, I have no reason to avoid PvP. As mentioned, it is the "Full Loot" option and not PvP I would choose to avoid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Beno Ledoux and Owain like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No... I shan't be held accountable for your difficulties with reading comprehension.

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Really? So you were warning me about the nonexistent impact of full loot upon crafters and upon the economy, then?

I'll keep that in mind the next time you try to impress us with things that are not a problem.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Dudes... I never resold anything I looted in UO, are you crazy ?

I kept them all tidy, in chronological order so I can remind myself. Why not ?

What would a man like me do with gold anyways ? Buy money ?

*chuckles*

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Don't worry about it. It's not like Rufus was trying to present an honest example anyway.

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

I started reading this thread and then noticed that it ran to 166 pages. I'm guessing the topic is somewhat controversial.

Owain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.