Player cities and rent?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Duke William of Serenite, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Just a question about owning your own player city. First of all does gold go into your bank account from renters or you have to find them to collect? Also if someone uses a rent free deed will you get any gold? Just curious how this is handled in game. I imagine if some one spends 5000 on a metropolis they would like to see some gold hit his bank account from renters.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why?

I've spent $1500 on a Village there is no rent charged to me for it and I will not be charging the Avatars who reside there rent.

There is no game supported feature for collecting rent, nor is there one needed. If a settlement owner chooses to charge rent, that is their right. If the owner has a problem with an Avatar living in their settlement, including lack of rent payment, they can revoke that Avatar's right to occupy the lot.

The Rent for Non-Rent Free Lot deeds go to the System, not the settlement owner.

There is no need of further game supported mechanics.

3. Duke William of Serenite

The asking for rent is a great idea for rp at least . Tax collector and his dog at your door :).

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Do as you will. People can choose to live in your town or not. There is no need to increase the development required for the game to support it.

5. herradam

herradam Avatar

A mechanic like this would benefit someone who wanted to rent out one of their properties anyway, so I don't see why it can't benefit the community as a whole.

Apollyon9515 and Zantul like this.
  6. Angor

Angor Avatar

Let the landlord collect his or her own rent. I know that some people are planning on renting there houses, or parts of them out. I have even thought about that. But that is up to them not the game in my opinion.

Rufus D`Asperdi likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Rent with would be in game money if someone would charge it for someone to be in the metropolis. If several people or a group are going in together to buy a metropolis that would have to be worked out between themselves. But if you are talking about having rent be a way to earn in game money, then I'm sure you will be able to do that. It may well be a commodity depending on how much land is available or perhaps the player prefers to live in a particular player town verses being in Owls Head or one of the other game towns. LOL but no money will hit your RL bank account from the game.:)

Zantul likes this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Im planning on purchasing several extra lots to rent them out in the future, sounds like fun to me. Ill just place a chest in thier rental and go collect on the first or when ever. Im planning on charging 3x what the game charges for tax. I hope to have 1-3 v illiage and about 6 row lots.

Abydos likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Ok, so just to be clear, because I am interested in this option. I have purchased a holdfast. now if I bought land deeds from the add on store, and placed them in my holdfast, would there still be tax on those lots? Or would the be tax free lots in a player owned town?

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

If you bought the holdfast now, it is tax free

If you buy the lots from the add in store, they would carry a tax

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

ok, I was just wondering. Thanks for the reply. I was not sure if there still would be a tax because I was thinking the city would collect the tax and I would own the city hehe.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yea, the only total tax free option is pledge lots and a player ran town purchase now.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Again, thanks :)

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  14. Duke William of Serenite

So someone that doesn't have a rent free deed will have to pay rent correct? Where does that money go ?

There seems to be a mechanic in place to chArge rent only it doesn't go in the landowners account ? Am I mistaken?

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I think he means the rent charged for the taxable lots sold in the add on store would go to the system as a gold sink.

Zantul likes this.
  16. Duke William of Serenite

Why not give that money to the land owner, doesn't that make more sense? That money can be turned into coin for NPC guards or a minstrel for hire to help entice people to their cities etc. Make people buy land and not give them the taxes seems kinda silly imo.

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Because then it wouldn't be a gold sink.

18. Duke William of Serenite

Well all my landowner questions are answered . Thanks for all the replies. I would be dumb not to ask questions before dropping my $$ on a city. My idea is to make a small city with all row houses and run it like a mini mall. Meaning rent is free at first but you must rp and have a stocked vendor. Or maybe the first few months free and if the mall is a hit then ask for a little coin in return. Actually donations would probably be better.

19. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I disagree. With the developers openly discussing limiting plots so that real estate holds real-world value, you have to imagine at least some will ultimately wish to charge some sort of fee. Manual collection is ridiculously inconvenient for both payor and payees. A rent functions bear obvious similarity to the taxing code on the payor side, so it's not like it requires a ton of dev time to put in. All you have to do is give the owner some method to set rates and collect. Zero rent should be the default, of course.

mbomber likes this.
  20. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

It seems odd to me to pay real money for a lot and/or player owned town and not be able to effortlessly make some in game money off of your investment. If they are worried about a money sink limit the amount players can profit, offer city building extras we can funnel the revenue toward, etc... As im sitting here thinking about whether to invest $thousands$ of do$$ars into this game, i want to know what i can get back for my investment beyond just the game being made. What do i get for my efforts? Something that will reduce the amount of grinding ? Grinding i wont have time for because i work too much...

Zantul and Apollyon9515 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.