Poll: Adult rated towns/basements in SotA? [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prince Guni, Aug 3, 2014.

?

Adult rated basements / adult rated towns with nudity/sex/gore in SotA?

1. YES - I favor realism and availability of more role play options for those who like that stuff

81 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. NO - I don't think a game like SotA should allow people to play that way

124 vote(s)
    60.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Haven't you heard, there are legions of mature western female gamers that are just dying for this type of content! Set them free!

:)

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I don't consider combat or cannibalism silly in a serious game like SotA. It is as serious as sex would be.

And by the way, in Ultima 7 you could have sex and if I am not mistaken you were even forced to have sex... In Ultima 6 you could have gay sex for money!

So much for RG not wanting "smut" in his games...

3. Net

Net Avatar

I do not mind adult content, I jsut do not know if immature adult content in player towns/basements is really the best solution. At best, there would be role-played brothels. I am quite afraid that most people would do much sillier things though. Sure there would be options to avoid it, but what is the point of implementing content that most people avoid.

4. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

If you are a role player, why would it matter to you what gender or race the player of a character is? Should we ban elves from SotA because they would be played by human players?

In those virtual worlds and games that actually do provide such role play options it seems more common that there is a shortage of male players and characters. Relationship game play is very popular with women.

Lord Baldrith and Net like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

The smut comment was a kind of a cheap shot...but it was also something that will be on the minds of many people. So it's relevant.

I wouldn't doubt that RG has some freaky stuff planned for this game. But I trust RG more than I do other players.

6. Drocis the Devious

I'll let my female friends know that you speak for them. They'll be so pleased. :)

7. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

Yes, IMHO the only real argument so far against allowing it.

On the other hand: Sometimes there is nothing like bad publicity. If more people talk and write about SotA it might also bring in more players. I don't know if the net marketing/publicity result would be more good or more bad in the end.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I guess I would ask the question, If it was totally optional, and could be discrete behind closed doors, what effect would it have on your game play?

9. Drocis the Devious

Right, we can't draw any conclusions to the past here. Just as OPEN PVP with FULL LOOT allowed Darkfall to attract many followers, so too might OPEN SEXUALLY EXPLICIT THEMES allow Shroud of the Avatar to bring in new people.

Neither of which would be 100 degrees the opposite direction from where we are now. Let's do it!

:confused:

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I am more worried about the community that would form around the game. It is not about the money for me, it is about the game I can play for a long time and in MMO that also means the community living there. If most people are in because of basement sex and nudity it is not the game I am looking for.

11. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I have no problem with brothels and wild dancers. But let the sex be in your own mind. Go to brothels and have a wench on both arms while you get a beer with some guys. This is perfect in a dangerous town like SLUM could have been.

Just no full nudity, and no emotes that look like sex acts. However to have a place where the dancers are racy adds to the role play. Full on sex acts isn't role play. It doesn't do anything for you. It doesn't set the scene. What sets the seen and is immersive is the whole IDEA that this is what is going on. The image that the place is about. You can always imagine the rooms are full with stuff going on "that you cannot see". Sometimes implying something is more powerful for the imagination then actually doing XYZ explicitly. IT WOULD LOOK SILLY FOR THESE CARTOONS TO START HAVING SEX. They look like real characters, but if you do something sexual it would immediately become aparent that these are just cartoon characters.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Reminds me of "Team America, World Police"

[​IMG]

13. Drocis the Devious

It further segments the world. (For example: now if you want to kill your enemy you have to goto their "adult basement" to do it - grody)
    Parents have more pressure put on them to control the environment.
    Potentially attracts a more immature audience.
    Creates interactions in the game where people are saying "visit my basement!" 24/7.
    Creates an environment where people can attempt to monetize sexually themed environments within SOTA.
    Objectification of women (and men).
    Dev team asked to spend time building assets and tools specific to sexually themed "stuff" that takes away from other development.
    My money wasn't originally pledged with this in mind.
    Marketing for the game becomes "different" as the audience changes.

That's just off the top of my head.

14. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

I stand to my words: There are probably more women and girls who like to play games centered around relationships or simulated relationships than games based on killing things. I know what I am talking about because I am professionally involved in the development of games for girls and women (G rated and PG rated) and content for games used by a majority female audience (G, PG and adult rated). We are talking hundreds of millions of female gamers in that genre of which many choose realism when they are offered that choice.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Yes I see your points but most of these would be dev decisions, The question was how would it affect "your" gameplay, in game.

16. Drocis the Devious

Show me a study that backs that up.

17. herradam

herradam Avatar

I'll admit that the arguments of Prince Guni et al. have weight behind them, but I'd personally rather this sort of content remain within the realm of roleplay. Rather than just creating mechanics whereby people can make their characters physically have sex with each other, it encompasses an entire system of assets and game mechanics that need to be produced both for those who want it and for those who don't. It's a significant diversion of resources and time and the game itself is already basically being developed on a shoestring.

18. Drocis the Devious

Segmentation.

I don't mind going to kill someone in their PVP town. But I do mind going to their adult basement. Do I get to goto their adult basement and turn off all the dumb crap that I don't want to see? Or do they get to hide in a pile of grossness because that's what they want, people to have to bridge the gap between what they're comfortable with just so they can hold them accountable?

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Depends on how the devs think it would affect their gameplay and their game.

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

why would you go in there, by doing so you accept that responsibility.

Time Lord and Shalana [LIBERTY] like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.