Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Map Movement

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Tarvok, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarvok

Tarvok Avatar

The... I'm going to call it the "overland map" for a lack of a better term... was a bit skeletal. Obviously, this is to be expected at this stage of development, but I'm curious what the long term vision is here.

I've always thought it would be cool if a game with a "fast travel" system (which is effectively what the two level instancing is) did a cinematic type thing with the map, like in an Indiana Jones movie. Rather than it being like an "overland map" in a JRPG, instead it would be more like the travel map in an Elder Scrolls type game. But when you chose your destination, it would animate your various methods of travel, like in an Indiana Jones movie.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The overland map is not really a fast travel mechanism like in Skyrim or Baldur's Gate.
    Did you play the older Ultima games like Ultima 4 or 5? The system ist meant to be similar to this. It is more of a second gameplay layer, a means to travel the whole world.
    You travel around freely on the overland map and encounter monsters and NPCs. You can also enter every hex/scene, be it a special scene related to the story, a dungeon, a city or "just" a regular wildness hex.
    You could basically view it as a zoomed out version of the world that you can explore and roam around in.

As for how it will evolve? It has been said that you will see your Avatar walking around on the map instead of the shield-marker we now have. Also there will be random encounters that pull you into a scene as well as encounters that you can see on the overland map. This can be monsters but also NPCs.
    Aside from that we can only speculate. Graphically it should be much more detailed (animals roaming around, more plants, more animations like clouds drifting by etc.) and we hope that we get a weather system, too that will make travelling around on the overland map more interesting.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

All this is stuff we hope but have no idea on yet.

4. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Tarvok

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome to the forums, Tarvok.

We are all looking forward to seeing how the map will evolve.

Think of some other games where you have seen fantastic world maps, and imagine it can be like that and better.

6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Right now it just doesn't feel very responsive. I don't know if the solution is to speed up the icon moving along the path but I don't feel that animating the marker to look like your character will make it feel any better. I think I would like it a little better if you picked a place for your icon to path to and if you picked some place else that it would immediately respond to the new location. There is a little bit of lag time between that. I think it would feel better if it were more reactive. If you can't get the icon moving immediately, a quick color change or something. I just want to know that it knows that you want to change something.

7. Kraxtor

Kraxtor Avatar

I was hopeful that in R8 we would have seen clear "hex" divisions or "zone borders". As of now, I'm not 100% certain where one area starts (Braemar) and another area ends (forest north of Braemar). I'm also unable to tell if there is a difference entering a forest from the south, or from the north, as the scene seems to be the same, and starts me at the same location. This is best illustrated by the lake/river in the North East portion of the map. Enter the zone from any area, start at the same spot. Clearly, there's a lot of work still to do on overland map. I'm still holding out hope for a sextant to provide coordinates to go along with my compass and (hopefully) mini-map options.

Jynx likes this.
  8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I'm the only one that call it the "overworld"? :p

9. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

I very much agree with this. I'm not sure if R8 represented a conscious choice to hide the hexes (or if it was just a matter of not having enough time to work on the map), but for me, the "frustration" (I'll admit it's not very high) of not being sure where I'm clicking or where I'm gonna land is greater than having a nice map with no unnatural features.

Basically, I know how the logic of the map goes, I know the hexes are there, but I'm never entirely sure when I click somewhere that I'm gonna end up in the forest hex I was aiming for or in the adjacent mountain hex.

But I'd totally understand if other people actually thought of this as a nice feature (it definitely has an old-school feel, but not in a way I like :p).

10. rabbs

rabbs Avatar

I personally don't like the inclusion of the overworld map. It may take more work to develop, but I felt like being able to explore where ever I wanted in UO and the rest of the series was very immersive and it played a huge part of the experience for me. Half the fun is getting to the destinations and finding what awaits in between.

Everything else is looking quite good, though! Unfortunately, I just don't think I would have pledged knowing about the overworld map.

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Weird since it was part of the kickstarter and isn't something newly added. Shouldn't have effected your pledge if you had looked into the game before hand.

Ned888 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.