What is the plan for Equipment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

As we move forward with the game....things seem to be in constant flux.

At this point, no one seems to know what equipment will be like. IE will there be magic swords and such that we can find while exploring?

There are a few on the forums who want the gear to be easily replaceable to support a certain playstyle. There are others who want equipment thatis varried and interesting...worth using and finding.

In some areas you have people saying that the best gear should always come from crafting, however, this begs the question, how would that work in single player offline?

Personally I want to be able to dive into a dungeon and come out at the end with some interesting magic item...not some master crafted sword. I want that sword of goblin slaying that has a slight bonus against goblins.

People also say that gear should not be important and that skill should only matter...I say, both should matter and shouldn't be at the expense of the other.

I think finding a balance that keeps crafting viable and finding rare magic items is important. I don't want a recreation of UO I want something new.

So, I guess what I am saying is please keep this a fantasy rpg and not a medieval simulator...if we have magic spells we should have magic swords.....

Disclaimer: I am not advocating WoW levels here, since this is the usual arguement I get when I mention this even though I say this every time.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Let me fix that third sentence for you, rune. You left out a couple of words.
    Since by 'some people' you mean me, rune, let me knock down the straw man you've just erected. I'm not saying that only skill should matter, but rather that gear should not be so important and overpowering that the player is unimportant by comparison, or that the gear remains in a vault for fear of damaging it or losing it.

If you are going to characterize my arguments, characterize them accurately.

3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I wish something in the middle. Not just crap or "esthetic equipment" and not "100% uber equipment". I wonder if the equipment here could give you some deck support or new skills, like G2 but with a better implementation. That idea could be curious, but maybe a little bit unbalanced. And the balance is important.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Actually, it wasn't just you....I will admit that your stubborness did spark me to finally make this thread. It is a valid question, regardless of how you personally think it refers to just you.

Sorry man...you really weren't the sole reason....

Ned888 likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

See that's another issue....when does balance trump fun? I don't think I even mentioned uber equipment in my OP.

6. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Hey, that thread should become a question there : Special Edition Dev Q&A Thread.

I'm sure many people will want to know what is the plan concerning magic items.

7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I was trying to express my own opinion. That is the point of the forums. ;)

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I also believe that equipment shouldn't over-power the skills game. I hope for equipment itemization that creates diversity, intrigue, thrill of finding it, and the like without requiring I keep up with the latest patch else feel inferior in three days. But it has to be fun too. Is there a point to finding the mightiest weapon in Novia if it improves your combat ability by an insignificant amount? Does finding new equipment have to be meaningful in some way to be fun? If so, how?

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Since we were just having this argument only minutes ago in another thread, I find your protest unconvincing, just like your arguments.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Ahhh ok..sorry though you meant I was implying that:p

Some tough critics around today;)

11. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

I kinda hope that if there are Epic items dropped by monsters or found in chests that they are scarce; there is nothing more depressing then having the same Sword of the Orc King as everyone else. This way, items can truly be unique and interesting.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um....I will answer this by taking the high road over your insults.

Yes we were discussing something similar in a thread that really wasn't just about this...it has been on my mind for awhile and it sparked me to make a post in the main forums so others can share their views.

Now, can we please let that happen?

Ned888 and Joviex like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Knock yourself out.

14. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I agree that there should be magical weapons and armor to be found. In my many years of RPG experience, it always enhances the game more than it can detract from it. It will also make quests for them more interesting and lead to a better pay off! Would you be more excited to find a long sword, or an enchanted Baneblade of Demron? Now all things considered, magically enchanted weapons would have to be balanced of course. In other words, no super weapons etc. It would be seriously disappointing (and a bit boring) to have an RPG of this nature without magical gear that you can discover though.

rune_74, DizzySol and Eriador like this.
  15. Owain

Owain Avatar

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

The problem with magical gear like this is that it tends to destroy the player economy and crafting professions. If Baneblades spawn, then who will want a blade crafted by a player? People will track spawn rates and times, and will camp spawn locations until everyone has a Baneblade, if they think that will give them an advantage, and player crafted blades will be used to prop open doors.

17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

For me the point is: Not to make weapons that could make to kill dragons even boring and to own very easy in pvp. And also not to put them in a WoW level style system, that restarts the equipment every year, or less. Even I'm not against the artifacts, if they are better implemented that in AoS. The point is always to equilibrate the weapons with the skills, and not to make them the source of the 90% of your power.

Dane likes this.
  18. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Well, I think the answer to that would be to allow players to craft magical weapons! If a crafter could imbue a weapon with some form of enhancement, then that wouldn't become a problem anymore. It would just add more diversity.

rune_74, Jambot and Eriador like this.
  19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Yes. Crafted weapons, pve and pvp wepons must be similar. That is the secret, and the complexity.

DizzySol and Jambot like this.
  20. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

I believe enchantment is on the "todo list".

DizzySol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.