What is the plan for Equipment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

I have no problem with that as long as the weapon isn't overpowered, but then where is the excitement of finding Baneblade in a dungeon? If Baneblade is better than the player crafted weapon, then we have the problem I mentioned above. If Baneblade is equally good, players will camp the spawn locations to avoid having to buy the player crafted weapon. If Baneblade is significantly inferior to a player crafted weapon to such a degree that it doesn't harm crafters, why have it at all?

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

See this is exactly how I feel....it doesn't feel like a fantasy rpg if you clamber down that dungeon to find a pile of gold and 3 iron ingots. However that gleaming sword on the body of the dead goblin king....it has a much more adventurous feel. I also feel that balancing them could be done interestingly by giving bonuses out for specefic things so thatthey are more specialized would really work.

Now, how that would work for crafting? I'm not sure...but why couldn't a crafter enchant their weapons as well? So sure I could get that sword of goblin slaying the old fashioned quest way or I could get a silver sword of goblin slaying made by a crafter....which is of course better against undead due to being silver.

Doppelganger [MGT] likes this.
  3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

That could depend of you play style. Some people could preffer to camp in dungeons, other could preffer crafting. But maybe just in the dungeons is a Baneblade and in the crafting recipes something similar, but a little bit different that you can maybe also want to have. There is ways to avoid those problems, I think.

Doppelganger [MGT] likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

If Baneblade is a competing product, player crafting will suffer. I really can't think of a way to avoid that, myself. If you have some ideas, I'd love to hear them.

5. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

They limit the amount of Baneblades allowed to spawn in the game?

Sweetmcpwnsauce and rune_74 like this.
  6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

And if the crafter "Blaneblade 2" is the same maybe the dungeon explorers will suffer. :p We always will have that, problems with the equilibrium in everything. That's why is important to work in that a lot and to patch when you really need it.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

That was a solution I proposed in another thread. How many is 'limited' do you suppose? One? Ten? One Hundred?

If you make the number too low, it will no longer be a tool, but a rare, and people will keep it in the bank, so there is almost no point in making them. If you just want a rare, make a rare gem that has no function other than to be rare. Like the Arkenstone of Thrain, to use an example from The Hobbit.

Weapons so rare that people don't want to use them as weapons are pretty useless, and if you make them common enough that people don't mind using them, then we harm crafting professions again.

DizzySol likes this.
  8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Anyway the game should have good options for weapons in every source, even if the weapons are not that powerful. I mean, They always will need to work in that equilibrium. If you make some of the sources better that others that could broke some parts of the game system.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

As long as dungeon explorers get items of value, they won't suffer, unless you count the fact there may be no Vorpal Blades of Doom, or whatever you want to call the McGuffin that ruins crafting economies.

10. Morgnes

Morgnes Avatar

Epic gear is a no go, some boons on gear are fine for me but there shouldn't be anything like THE sword. And please no upgrades to the "powerlevel" with the next episode....

The thing is: Why should the goblin around the corner how only wields a club drop a sword, on top of that, that sword is more powerful than anything any crafter in this world can create. Hmm the problem I got with that: if no1 can craft it where did it come from, well except the standard OP culture which vanished 1000 years ago.... of course.

Also:
    If going into a dungeon to farm... ehm find "epic" gear would be acceptable, then I don't understand why question marks are such an abomination.

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I mentioned this as well in the original post....but if you don't have these things spawning...then single player wouldn't have anything interesting to play with at all....unless the crafted as well....

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

That's true, but the dev's have announced a design goal to strongly support crafting professions. Dungeon loot is counterproductive to that goal if the loot competes with player crafted items.

13. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

And as long as the crafters could craft items of value they will not sutter, with the same maths. That is the point.

14. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Yeah I was thinking that if you make it too low that people wouldn't use them, but perhaps I was hoping that people wouldn't get too attached to their equipment. Though, the purposed ransom system we have now would allow folks to use their epic stuff and ease some of the worry of losing it (they cough up cash instead).

rune_74 likes this.
  15. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I understand. But anyway i don't know if the solution is to make crafters weapons way better that exploring weapons. For some adventurers the best treasure that they could get in a dungeons are those weapons. Maybe some of them could feel that "is for nothing".

I still think that a solution could be that crafters could craft weapons similars in power that in lie in the dungeons, but with different effects. Or maybe not, I don't know I'm just tired and I cannot play. xD

16. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack shares your desire to know more about equipment Rune and values your request. Balance is indeed the key, Captain Jack would like the chance to create, or quest for, or to be given as part of RP an item in which is special enough for his character to form a bond with.

Captain Jack doesn't wish for a virtual economy to dictate how he plays his games, after all the name of this game isn't Storefront of the Avatar! Captain Jack wants to have fun, and in allowing non-standard equipment he can customize, name, form an identity with.

Ned888 and rune_74 like this.
  17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Adventurers are cheap. If the weapons are similar in quality, then they will get the dungeon weapons for free. If they are inferior in quality, they are only good for scrap.

18. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Hmm, well how about this. Instead of finding magical weapons and loot, perhaps you can find magical items or components that can be used in the crafting of magical gear! That way, it would support the crafting economy and also allow for magical gear at the same time. So for example, in Draven Cave, if you beat the red dragon, you can win an enchanted sun stone that would add +5 fire damage and 2x chance to critical hit when used in crafting a blade. Something along those lines.

19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I don't know, I will preffer a crafted weapon if they are better, even if I'm not the crafter. And I'm sure that I will not be the only one... Specially in pvp. And could depend of the dungeon treasures to make the dungeon crawling interesting or no to do. But if they put many money then I will buy crafted weapons easy anyway. :p

20. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

They used that system in the UO after AoS to make the crafting more interesting... But in the end it's a proxy, and what count is to go to the dungeon, not the crafting per se.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.