What is the plan for Equipment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

That is an excellent suggestion. Also, weapons that are damaged beyond repair, but which can be salvaged using a salvage skill would also serve both the adventurer and crafting communities, and encourage more contact between the two.

Doppelganger [MGT] likes this.
  2. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

But well, if you cannot find any weapon at all in dungeons could work... But still I feel that a little bit weird.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I agree, if the only way to make a virtual economy work is by making adventuring boring then there needs to be another way to make it work.

4. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

Yes, if it's got such a great title there should only be one or a hand full of that item in game. I also heard somewhere about once a item gets destroyed like I.E. your "sword of the Orc King" then there would be 4/5 out in game and one could drop again from all the Orc king(s). <];D

DizzySol likes this.
  5. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Like the Golden Tickets from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I'd also like to see this with Special Events, with one team winning the grand prize

Sweetmcpwnsauce and Schmidbauer like this.
  6. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

I'm not a genius in coding and making game mechanics, but what if you make a system to were if that person with that rare only 1 or so in game doesn't equiped it for like 24 or 48 hours it disappears and is back to being able to acquire from any one killing that creature or looting that chest that it might drop from, and also if it drops from a chest it should be like alot of chests that drop and the chests should be spread around the world so not just one person can farm all the chests and make the chests have random spawn times never a static timer. (static is horrible for games with rare items that only have a handful in game) <];D

7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Do you know? We can make a weird crossover between this thread and the "game for adults" one.

8. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

What, like enchanted condoms? Magically enhanced breasts of the Avatar? lol

Eriador likes this.
  9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Sounds like far more trouble than it's worth, but I'll let the devs have the final say on that.

Sweetmcpwnsauce likes this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Generally there are two phases to the game. One where you are leveling up and there's lots of shiny better gear and one where you hit "end game" and the power curve gets almost completely flat.

I couldn't care less how leveling is handled. That's simply part of the story unfolding for each individual.

I would greatly prefer to see end game gear be about cosmetics such as gear "skins" or about other collectables one might use to decorate one's lawn.

So I use the skin earned from epic dragon slaying and a sword purchased from some master swordsmith.

11. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

My understanding of the 'dungeon loot' setup, was going to be that dungeon loot IS/WAS crafted items.

What I have taken from the various hangouts, has been that player crafted items such as armour/weapons, when sold to npc vendors etc, would be recycled to become dungeon/mob loot. This would go hand in hand with the damage/decay setup that has been mentioned for equipment.

Yes, this approach would require seeding of non-player crafted items at initial release of the game (talking episode 1) so that there was items to be looted while the crafters created and sold things. However, the seeded items could easily be removed as player made items made it into the 'loot pool' so to speak.

In short, the only items in the game would be "player crafted" even dungeon loot.

Again, this is just my take on how they have explained the "economy" of the game, and may be different from someone else's take on the subject.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

You are right, but that is not what the OP was asking. Ristra clarified for me that dungeon loot was going to be crafted items (thanks Ristra), but the OP specifically says, "Personally I want to be able to dive into a dungeon and come out at the end with some interesting magic item...not some master crafted sword."

13. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

To be honest most of the adventurers will want/expect some cool treasures and weapons at the end of the dungeon. It's the rule since Rogue. If they found just regs, even if they are interesting or help to the economy system, will not help to the adventure "feeling". (I'm not saying that is good or bad, but what the people will expect)

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes, I would like to see that in game, a plain mastercrafted sword seems a rather dull peice for you to risk life and limb for.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

No doubt. That's why I clarified things for Korvash.

16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

this touches on one of my main concerns for the "all player loot" mentality that the devs have been pushing. I understand the value of it, but does that mean there is no amazing weapons/armor/stuff waiting in the depths of the earth for us to discover?

Defeating a huge boss and cracking open a chest behind him, only to discover that it contains a helmet crafted by Frankie Meatloafwich, would be very disappointing.

Joviex and rune_74 like this.
  17. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

My apologies, I have for some strange reason, a limit on what I can type on my phone. I was meaning to come back and edit my last post, to expand on what I had said.

From what i've taken, from both hang outs, and the description of new pledge reward items, such as the sword from the knight level,

Is that there is going to be enchanting in the game. Add this, to what has so far been described as "evolving weapons" (my own term) where as a weapon is used more and more to kill a certain type of creature, we'll say kobolds for this example. It gains additional properties, such as increased damage to kobolds. I see both of these being working together to create a very diverse selection of player created items, that have a wide range of magical properties, and at the same time, creating items that are very "situational" in their nature.

Again, just my personal take on whats been said over the last 18 months or so. However, in regards to what i will only describe as "The sword of phat lootz!" (i use this as a term, and in no way an insult to anyone) style rewards for delving into a dungeon, I am against that. My personal opinion, is that style of loot system, as mentioned, leads to "farming" behavior, and contributes towards a min/max attitude towards game play.

Again, personal opinion, and readers may have different views. Just my thoughts on the subject.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Korvash, don't confuse contribution rewards with what will be crafted in game. Contribution rewards are special items, and are not representative.

19. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

No, but the reward combined with other things that have been said during hangouts and such, would lead me to believe that enchanting will be available in game in some form. Which is why I said

I've learned my lesson, from basing my views on only 1 source of information, and make sure its been brought up more then once, in different places.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Exactly....it would be like...oh....wow.

There has to be some wonder and magic in the world to bring some interesting things. We have mages throwing fireballs and lightning bolts...so you have to imagine there would be some magic items out there as well. IT is a fine balance and contrary to the implications, I don't want a ton of PHatloot items...I want subtle magic items.

I feel I have to give the disclaimer I am not looking at the way WoW does it every time I post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.