1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Reactive Armour

Reactive Armor "reflects" melee damage back to the attacker. A certain amount of damage can be absorbed before the spell wears off.
    • First circle
    • Mana cost: 4
    • Reagents required: Garlic, Sulfurous Ash, Spiders' Silk

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Let me rephrase:

With gear that can be lost in any way, be it looting or decay, I will never treat gear as a prize, will never go after gear just for the gear's sake. Rather, I will treat gear as disposable consumables needed to do pieces of content.

Will I get it? Yes, of course, because it will be needed. But, due to how gear loss changes the way I view the gear, I will likely consider the time spent to get said gear as time wasted in unwanted activities, not play time.

By the way, with player looting I will never, ever, engage in PvP anyway. Looting other players makes me feel like a real life thief, and being looted for me feels just like being mugged in real life, both things I will never be okay with.

You might have missed something.

I don't have a link ready, but the devs talked about recycling player crafted gear that was somehow lost or discarded as loot for mobs and dungeons. So, in theory, anything that can be crafted can drop as treasure, though the way it was described sounds like it will be mostly junk gear, things players craft to sell to NPCs for gold.

3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

You are wrong, sorry Owain.

The currently proposed model will be based on player crafted items. There will also be Dev constructs out there to seed the game.

The intention is for the player made items to become the swords you find in the bottom of the dungeons. If or until that happens the game will be spawning gear.

Personally I believe you know this but still attempt to post insulting and contrary comments to incite an emotional response or quash discourse. There is a word for that....

rune_74 likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

As Ned888 was touching on, the loot profiles of mobs will be from a database of items created by players. For example: Lord British commissions a sword to be made for a gift to a local lord's wedding. It's a competition so anyone may craft a weapon and the best one will be chosen for the gift. The crafters are paid well for their weapons and the weapons not used as a gift will be used to support the city guards.

Now hundreds if not thousands of crafters attempt to make their best weapon, they get paid and move on. Those weapons, from a code/database standpoint would now be deleted. What SotA will be doing is instead of deleting they are now part of the MOB loot profiles.

So yes, you could loot a superior sword from a dungeon.

rune_74 likes this.
  5. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Yeah so I remembered part of it. It wasn't that powerful of a spell. 1st circle. I probably used it on my mage and don't even remember now. I must have noticed the reactive armor fighting against mages. Honestly I just remember you had to hit the mages, that's all. lol Either way I don't think this made mages as tough as warriors in combat.

Lord Spaz likes this.
  6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

as far as I remeber it was very powerful

7. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Well my memory isn't perfect. It wasn't memorable to me I guess.

Lord Spaz likes this.
  8. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

still like you :)

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Thanks Ned, I knew there was something out there.

The insulting stuff sure does grate though.

Lord Spaz and Ned888 like this.
  10. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Its clear what Owains wants! Full Loot and good items should be only available on players so he never needs to farm and can gank with his little group all day to cheaply get the best items and then gank even harder...

Ned888 likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

Only as a separate option in addition to open PvP, and only by consent. If you want to characterize my proposal, do so accurately.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

This is actually pretty interesting. Thanks Ristra.

13. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

How is it that someone who registered two weeks ago knows what is clear and what Owain wants. You obviously have not been following this board since last year and are not in the position to speak for him, about him, or any other.

State your opinion - agree or disagree. Don't spew crap on these boards or defame others.

Go ahead and report me - I'm man enough. I've already done the same for you.

Caska DiFumarate and Owain like this.
  14. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Well Im man enough not to report you :D

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  15. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Fair enough. I mistook you as yet another random punk.

/em awaits yet another mod beat-down...

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Woah woah hey woah... let's not report anybody here. Let's not invite the moderators or they might lock the thread. LoL

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  17. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

LOL. You'd think/hope they'd expect this and relax a bit with the ban hammer in a PvP thread. ;)

Owain likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

thread has completely run it's course anyway. 170 pages ?

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

nah ... to both comments.

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

Nothing constructive is coming out of this thread. I say lock and close it and make threads on PvP for each release (R9, R10 etc).

Much more manageable. You're not going to tell me anyone could read this thread.

Also it seems like PvP is going to change drastically between releases. I'm not sure a PvP Current Thinking Thread started on March 6, 2014 can possibly be relevant.

Also it will be much easier to read smaller threads. This thread has run it's course.

Mercyful Fate and Jambot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.