Every Character Name Has A Story, What's Yours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Captn Norrington, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Avatar

How did you pick your character and forum names? It's always fun to find out the stories hidden within the name a person has chosen.

Mine is rather boring, I watched the Pirates of the Carribean movies, thought this name sounded kinda cool, made a new character in Ultima with this name never planning to use it more than a few weeks. The name caught on after that and before long it was to late to make a new character without losing the reputation I had gained with this one. It's been nearly 5 years and luckily I still like it, I'm pretty terrible at coming up with new names :)

2. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I had a level 80 dwarf death knight and I kind of liked draykor so I went with it, but there were about a million draykors so I just bunged on a few words for comedy value and ended up with draykorinee, most people just call me dray though. Its stuck for the last 4 years or so.

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Richard said the premise of the game is that your character is you.
    You are transported to New Britannia, and act as you would act, and make the choices you would make.

So, I'm using my name.

4. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

Ahh lol, mine was made when I first started UO back in 2007 my dad, sister (age 10), and I (age 12) were thinking of something and my sister was like Mc sauce since she was eating mc nuggets. Then I thought to add sweet in it and my dad suggested pwn and I got sweetmcpwnsauce out of it and always have used it. I think the name is amazing but sadly most people can't pronounce it correctly (sweet mic pown sauce) the mic is not like a mic you speak through but like mitty then a k sound and pwn is like pony but take off the y and that's the best I can explain how to pronounce a very simple name IMO <];D

5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I use AvatarAcid in just about everything I play. Came from a fan fiction story I wrote about the Avatar getting hooked on Silver Serpent Venom way back around the Ultima VII era, which is lost to the ages now!

6. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Pretty much this. A derivative for security reasons. But I want to be me in this game. As I did with Ultima. :)

7. Thoryk Omara

Thoryk Omara Avatar

Jovien was my toon back on Europa in Ultima Online in 1998, It was only my first character and main on World of Warcraft that I created in 2007 and still use to this day.

My characters that I have used through the years are all linked to each others under the O'mara family.
    Kalyn is the elder, the son Jovien and the grand son Thoryk and the great grand son Balryk.

But in this chapter of my online gaming I believe Jovien is the one I would like to bring back or perhaps Thoryk.

They all have a play style, Kalyn is obsolete, I have not played him in decades but he was the gentle giant.

Jovien is the peaceful, diplomatic one usually under mages/druid classes.
    Thoryk is the warrior type. Usually played him as a paladin.
    Balryk is also the warrior type, I only have made him less than a year ago and I am slowly discovering him.

Thanks for the post and allowing me to share my story.

8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I chose mine when I was teeneger and I entered for first time in that dark wold called IRC. After I use it in some online games. And well, that is the short story.

Ah, and it means the "lonely land" in the Lord of the Rings, but I didn't kow that when I chose it. :p

9. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

Jynx is my nickname irl. I had a cat called Jynx and a friend liked it and started calling me Jynx. It was the name I used for my very first UO character. Seems fitting to use it here.

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

Womby Fluffington was named after the family's rare pet wombat that died before he was born. After leaving his job as an insurance adjuster he worked with the Terran resistance, attempting to break away from the Earth-centric United Earth Empire (UEE). Eventually his activities were noticed, and he was forced to flee to the planet Mya in the Leir system. On the way he was attacked by the UEE Advocacy, and attempted to hide in an asteroid field. There he encountered an uncharted jump point that transported him to New Brittania. His ship collided with orbiting debris and he managed to safely eject from his crashing spaceship before it plunged into a vast lava field in the Blackblade mountains. His escape pod splashed into the sea just outside Kingsport, where he currently resides.

Womby enjoys crafting, exploring, role playing and watching the stars.

tl;dr I like wombats

11. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

In Ultima 4 there is an NPC in Lord British's castle named 'Humlock'.

I thought it was 'Hemlock' :S

12. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I've been using docdoom77 for years. Doom is he best character in all of comic-dom and I'm a fervent fan. You can see that here:

In game, I'll be Dahk Dhume... ;)

13. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

I've used this name since UO 3rd dawn on Lake Superior. I chose it because gaming has always been my "escape", so... exodus.

14. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Ahh, this is a cool thread and I am glad you asked! My character name will be Nimor Imphraezl, in honor of the half dragon, half Drow assassin from the War of the Spider Queen series of novels set in the Forgotten Realms. Nimor was the "Anointed Blade", the most talented and deadly of a powerful network of Drow assassins called the Jaezred Chaulssin.

He was my favorite character of the whole 6-book series and I chose to use his namesake in SotA :)

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

He then allowed multiple characters and the one day promise of player character Elves. So I'm not sure this is still the case.

16. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Some things are better not to know.

17. rild

rild Avatar

Rild is a name I came across years ago, belonging to a character in Roger Zelazny's masterpiece Lord of Light (seriously, read it!). It's implied by a rhyme in one of the chapter titles that Zelazny intended it to be pronounced Riled, like "wild", but it got stuck in my head as Rilled, like "grilled". Picked the name off the top of my head when the forums launched; Always intended to use a different character name, but I found that I identify with it now, and it is the name people know me by here. I like it in part because it is simple.

In keeping with the 'this character is you' theme, I thought it would be weird to reinvent my identity again, and would feel (to me) manufactured or forced. Where the noble Sir Frank has passed through the rift relatively unchanged, I exited that Nowhere that exists between Earth and New Britannia to find a different face, and this name attached.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Indeed some dragons should stay asleep...

19. reebdoog

reebdoog Avatar

If you know anything about Ultima Online history you will understand my name.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Majoria is a name I took out of the mothballs from when I played Ultima Online. I haven't used it since then in any other game. I was trying to come up with a magey type name and this was what came to my mind. Well I thought I had invented it, but since I've seen others with the same name. Now I usually play warriors types, times have changed. lol ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.