Every Character Name Has A Story, What's Yours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Captn Norrington, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Long ago (UO & Asheron's Call days), I had the name Solarain, (raining light, or yin/yang opposites of sun and rain, is what I had in mind) that I literally made up. I could get that name in any game, email client (yahoo, hotmail, etc) in the beginning, but then stopped using those email accounts. When I tried to reactivate any of them, the name was taken. And it's taken in most games. So I just made up this name. Now I find out that someone else has the same name, in another game. It's usually available in every game I play now, but pretty soon, it won't be available to me. So then I'll be onto making up another name.

Cali instead of Kali (the Goddess Kali, the dark mother in Hinduism). Kali, to me, is a bit like the Phoenix that rises from the ashes. She is a fierce protector of the innocent, and ever-caring mother. I added "ya" to say, yes!

2. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

That would be interesting in my case.

Richard Garriot + DarkStarr = Richard Starr, My real name.

I am the spawn of Lord British and Darkstarr! ^_^b

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

That is chaos at work!

rild, Sir Cabirus, Arianna and 6 others like this.
  4. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

Lol. Indeed. Thankfully I get my personality from the Lord British side.

rild, blaquerogue, Arianna and 4 others like this.
  5. Angor

Angor Avatar

I made up the name Angor because I was angry at the loss of the love of my life. then I looked the name up when this thread was started and found:

Angor (different but related to the word anger), in modern English, refers to a great anxiety,[3] distress,[4] or mental anguish[4]
    References
    3^ Jump up to: a b angor. Dictionary.com. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary. MICRA, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/angor (accessed: May 04, 2007)
    4^ Jump up to: a b angor. Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/angor (accessed: May 04, 2007).

6. Royou

Royou Avatar

I have used that name for as far back in my gaming memory that I can remember, it is the hereditary middle name that I should have been given as the oldest first born son of my late father, my mother having two sons from her first marriage would not allow this, as she felt that her first son should have been given this name, which my father refused, I was not given it at birth but it is mine to use as I see fit, I will be changing that soon though, and will be adding it and my partners surname will be added to mine also, when the adoption of our first Child becomes legal, Gracie-May and I will both become Williams-Fowler, as I will also add Royou which is a link to my French ancestry.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Isaiah comes from the hebrew name Yesha'yahu meaning "YAHWEH is salvation".

The history of this name and it's meaning is as follows...

(if you want to interpret it as aligorical or not here's how the story goes) The first man Adam was created in the image and likeness of God. Adam (which means man), and Eve (meaning implies "source of life") were of one flesh. When they ate from the tree of Knowledge of Good and evil (which God commanded them not to eat, for if they do they would surely die), mankind sinned and became corrupted. Nevertheless, God promised a deliverer though the seed of the woman.

Therefore people died from that time till the time of Moses without even breaking a commandment of God. There was a problem with mankind, sin was now a part of his nature.

Many times passed, and a man named Abraham found favor in the sight of God and was told to him that he and his seed shall inherit the world. Abrahams decendants grew in number, and wealth. He had a son named Issac, and he had a son named Jacob called Israel. Israel had 12 sons. One son named Joseph was treated with special regard by his father, and the other sons were jealous of him so they took him wihtout their fathers knowledge and sold him as a slave in Egypt. However, this evil plan worked for the good of many so that the world would be saved. Joseph earned the respect of Pharaoh by being a man of God. Pharaoh put him in chage of all of Egypt as his second in command. They saved up resources for a drought, predicted in a dream Pharoah had that was interpreted by Joseph. The world had penty of resources.

After the death of Pharaoh a new Pharoah who knew nothing about Joseph, saw that the hebrew people were becoming prosperous and decided to have them all made slaves in Egypt. Pharaoh was still not satisfied so he had all the male children under a certain age be slaughtered. Seeing that Moses was not an ordinary child, his mother hid him, and laid him in a basket and placed it in the river. Moses was found by Pharaoh's daughter, and she raised him in Pharaoh's house hold. When Moses learned of his heritage he tried to defend his people who were mistreated, and he killed an Egyptian Guard who was beating one of his people. Moses fled to Midian.

One day when he was tending to his father in-law's flock, he came to Sinai, and there the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a blazing fire from the middle of a bush. Then the Lord told him, “I have certainly seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt. Moses said, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?” God replied to Moses, “I am who i am. Say this to the people of Israel: I am has sent me to you.”

With many signs and wonders performed though Moses, finally Pharaoh decided to let his people go. However Pharaoh sent his army to kill them. Moses delivered his people by stretching out his hand over the sea, and all that night the LORD drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land. The waters were divided,. The Israelites passed through the sea, but when Pharaoh's army followed them the sea closed on them.

When Moses came to Mount Sinai, he climbed the mountain to appear before God. The Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “Give these instructions to the family of Jacob; announce it to the descendants of Israel.." After giving the commandments to Moses, he found that the people had already turned back and begun following the Gods of Egypt, and participated in pagan revelry. Many fell by breaking the commands of God. Moses heard from God, and God said,"The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brothers—it is to him you shall listen—."

Only a few of the people of that generation even saw the promised land. Not even Moses could enter, rather it was Joshua who lead the people into the promised land. Many years passed and they had many judges ruling the world. Then the people began asking for a King. God gave them a man named Saul from the tribe of Benjamin. Nevertheless, Saul may have outwardly looked like a king, but he fell short. However, David, was found to be a man after God's own heart. David replaced Saul as King, and God promised that his descendant would sit on his throne, and His kingdom will have no end.

BUT there was a problem, for those under the covenant God made with Moses through the law. Not a problem with the Law, but with the people, nobody could keep it.

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another, but God found fault with the people and said:
    “The days are coming, declares the Lord,
    when I will make a new covenant
    with the people of Israel
    and with the people of Judah.
    It will not be like the covenant
    I made with their ancestors
    when I took them by the hand
    to lead them out of Egypt,
    because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
    and I turned away from them,
    declares the Lord.
    This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
    after that time, declares the Lord.
    I will put my laws in their minds
    and write them on their hearts.
    I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.
    No longer will they teach their neighbor,
    or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
    because they will all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest.
    For I will forgive their wickedness
    and will remember their sins no more.”

The Law (the commandments) could not impart life, it only convicted us of sin, and condemned it. God's plan was to show us our need for a savior, and reveal the one who was to come. Jesus (translated name of Yeshua) is the promised incorruptible seed. He lived his life, and he healed the sick and gave sight to the blind. After doing many signs and wonders, he went to Jerusalem to be crucified. It was impossible for man to save himself. Therefore the Son of God came into the world and took the iniquity of us all. He took the curse and the shame of the Law and all of it's commandments, all the way back to the sin of Adam. He rose from the dead, defeating hell, death, and the grave. Though he knew no sin, he became sin for us, so that in Him we can be the righteousness of God.

And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. (John 1:16)

Isaiah was one of many who spoke of the things Jesus would accomplish. Jesus accomplished the will of God. It is finished. Anybody who trusts in him will never be put to shame. Through him we have life, and have it to the full. Jesus is the Lord's Salvation. It isn't much of a stretch to say Isaiah's name means Jesus is God.

rild, blaquerogue, docdoom77 and 8 others like this.
  8. Kalani

Kalani Avatar

I'm Kalani and new around here :)

This is not likely to be my name in the game...Kalani was my orc shaman way back when in WoW (back in Vanilla) and I chose it because it is Hawaiian for storm, fitting for a shaman. I tend to use Kalani on a lot of forums.

My character name is Kattia, I haven't come up with a last name yet...eventually I will, I'm sure. Kattia is an alternate version of myself, a foreign (I believe it was a Russian nickname but I don't remember) version of my name. She is also a character I have been slowly writing about. While I am still fleshing out her character, I do know she has healing powers (although she has yet to discover this) and knowledge of herbs. She can also sew quite well.

rild, blaquerogue, Trenyc and 11 others like this.
  9. Bloodwild

Bloodwild Avatar

I started using Baden back when I played mIRC RPG's, I was having a tough time thinking of a new character name (had limited time and my last character had just died ..) so I glanced over at a report I had been doing for school about Robert Baden Powell and decided Baden sounded good. I've used it as my main name in every MMO I've played since UO.

10. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Death-knell is the name of my dragon character in another online game. I thought it fitting for a dragon of destruction.

The character name I'm using in game is a secret.

11. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I don't have any specific names i use consistently over the years of play. With Shroud... watching the intro video and looking at the architecture styles i just thought... ooo sort of viking-ish/norse-ish, so my chars will likely have those types of names.

12. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

13. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

My name is from the same-named founder of a colony in the Stygian Abyss on the Isle of the Avatar. This colony was intended for presenting all eight virtues at once but unfortunately the dream of Sir Cabirus failed and a powerful demon, the Slasher of Veils, threatened not only the colony but also whole Britannia.

Of course I'm talking about Ultima Underworld - The Stygian Abyss, the first Ultima I've played. This game inflamed my passionate about the Ultima series. This game even caused me to create an Ultima Homepage (see my signature).

rild, blaquerogue, Ator! and 5 others like this.
  14. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

The Ultima Codex is the name of the website I run. Well, of one of the websites I run. The main one.

My in-game (and main online) handle, however, is a somewhat shortened version of my Dragon Name, which is Withstand the Fury Dragon. Which is a silly-sounding name I came up with when I was in high school, so I have no idea what it means anymore. I usually just abbreviate "Withstand the Fury" to its acronym, following the capitalization of the first letters. But I'd probably have to moderate myself if I did that here, since I'm reliably informed that those same three letters also serve as an acronym for something else that is far less polite.

rild, blaquerogue, AvatarAcid and 9 others like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

16. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I've used Whitemoon for many years. My first characters name. Just made it up and thought its a cool name.
    Another character I've played for a lot of time was Whity. He was a thief-mage and generally an unsavory character. The type of silly looking guy with a goofy name you go to when you need someone killed or some arrows tipped with poison.
    Мy thieve's and assassin's name was Kain. Because Kain sounds evil.
    And my pvp mage was Lestrange, because I saw some other PvP mage called Lestrange, and I liked it.
    My beggar on Atlantic was called carrion worm, btw.

18. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

what about ur name, Ahu? Don't tell me it's in wisp language?

And I thought you just liked wombs.

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hello my crazy russian friend :)

Crazy enough to wake the dragon's breath ?

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  20. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Greetings from the slums of Rostov!
    Not sure what you reffering to, but...hell yes I am. Riiiiise mighty Draaagoooooon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.