Evil players?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mavro, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

How about killing a person because somebody pays you to? A rogue has taken on a new meaning since RPGs came along. It represents a broad range of specific skills.

A rogue could be a scout, a spy, an assassin, or a thief. So I guess the best term for a murderer is a murderer, and the best term for somebody who breaks the law is a criminal.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Murder for hire is still murder, and thus a crime.

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  3. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Well see, here in lies the problem with our definition of murder. A person may murder someone in self-defense of their own life and get off, but it is still murder; heck some states here in the USA have the death penalty, and people are murdered by a State for their crimes against society. Some soldiers in war kill hundreds of people yet are seen as heroes to their side. The only definition of "evil" that truly fits to me is what Malchor touched on, it's really going against what society deems as "good."

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You were quoting commandments earlier. Remember this one? Thou shalt not kill

If we like rules, we always try to find loopholes in rules. Perhaps the best way to satisfy those commandments is to not be under them at all. No flesh is justified by the law of Moses.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

In fact, I consider murder for hire more evil than killing someone in a fit of rage, but then I AM an Anti-PK, so I take a dim view of things like that.

DizzySol likes this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Thou shalt not kill is a poor translation from Latin/Greek of thou shalt not murder.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Look at this from every translation

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans 3:20&version=KJV

The law calls ALL humanity sinners. Otherwise we wouldn't have needed a savior.

Although this is off the topic of the thread I guess.

Silverglade Sunrunner likes this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

Theft is relatively minor on the scale of evil. If you want true evil, you should be thinking about things like necromancy, torture, slavery, murder, etc. Most of those would be PVE activities.
    I know for example that slavery will be implemented in Star Citizen, but only as a form of cargo - effectively a box with "slave" stamped on it. On the other hand, it was implemented fairly successfully using NPCs in Fallout 3.
    As far as I know, torture is generally only implied in games (e.g. the torture room in Skyrim). It would be fairly courageous (i.e. stupid) if Portalarium were to allow a player to actively engage in it, especially with another player.
    Necromancy and murder should be fine, though, with the latter potentially involving other players.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm an equal opportunity good guy. I don't discriminate. If they're bad guys, I treat them all the same.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Hey, Necromancy, Torture, Murder! Thats right up my alley! Muahhahahahah

Schmidbauer likes this.
  11. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

As far as having room for evil players: if the player wants to do evil acts against NPCs, or if he is satisfied with doing evil acts against players that have chosen to accept that risk, then yes. But I don't think there is (or should be) any room for doing evil acts against unwilling players.

Where I live, someone that kills for payment is prone to get a sentence at least twice as long as someone that kills in a fit of rage. Perhaps even longer. The contract killer will get extra sentence time from, at least, accepting money to kill, planning the attack, and attempting to make sure the victim can't fight back, which means at least double the sentence time of a common murder.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually I thought the theves were more annoying in UO than the PKs. The thieving system was a joke in UO. I know many thieves loved it, but I think only the thieves liked it. It was a good solution for the time, but the theiving skill needs to be totally revamped in this game when they add it, and nobody can steal a warhammer off of a person's back... Sorry NO that cannot happen. I know there was some weight taken into account in the UO system, but it was still totally wrong.

Thieves should only be able to steal light stuff. A pouch of gold for instance. cut the purse and go. Pick a pocket and take an important letter or some coins. Maybe even be able to steal a dagger from somebody's side. there's no way a thief can steal a throne of bone in a pack. No thief can steal a sword in a sheath that is securly strapped to a warrior. Tell me how without having Godlike powers can a thief steal a longsword!?!? NEVER EVER I don't care if you are the best magician in the history of the world, no person has that kind of slight of hand power.

I believe the stealing system will not be added to SotA in the first release because it will be a minor system. It might be fun to steal 50 coins from somebody that isn't aware of it, but you're not going to be a wealthy lord by petty theft alone. Petty theft is just not that profitable.

13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Awwww! You're not evil! You just need a hug!

14. Robby

Robby Avatar

I like to loot. I let my inner kleptomania out in online games and RPG's. In ultima I was a fan of going thru chests, and drawers in all the towns searching for gold nuggets, gold bars, and other goodies. So there better be plenty of room for this sort of activity. UO wasnt all that fun when it came to this. You could only pick that one locked box at the front desk of all the stores and stuff in town. And this was rather pointless, because treasure hunting and dungeon chests is where the real loot is. I just want to be able to really feel like a crook while im doing it, and i dont get that from looting chests in dungeons and digging up treasure chests. Though.... I do enjoy both! >=-P treasure is treasure.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am Evil! In a lovable cuddly kind of way! Ned888 I need a hug! :p

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That seems reasonable. Have you known anybody who killed somebody and was called a hero for it? What was it like for them to kill their first person? Unless they had a miswire in their brain, from what I gather it feels quite horrible to kill a person. People can become hardened and accustomed to it. Procreation and the preservation of our race is hardwired into us. So, I'm not saying soldiers are bad. If we didn't have people to stand up, and risk their lives to fight then the world would be overcome by wicked folk who would dominate and control the world through force. Although I was raised by a person who was a policeman, I still don't think being a cop makes one good or bad. So societies heroes can be both good and bad.

ON A SIMILAR NOTE: Maybe we shouldn't be so easily swayed by society's rules. If society was right about everything, then there would be no room for creativity or uniqueness. The more rules in society the less room we have to think for ourselves. So don't let society be the absolute judge of your life. Sometimes we have to do waht is in our own heart rather than what others think we should do. Just because others do it doesn't mean it's right. Also avoiding the group mind type thinking helps keep our identity unique.

Is it possible to think for yourself and still be apart of society. YES. but be careful about speaking something contrary to what the group mind has considered to be a solid rule... society is judgmental by nature especially the legal minded ones.

Mercyful Fate, Logain and DizzySol like this.
  17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

You cannot define evil in terms of society. Breaking laws does not define evil. Unless I am mistaken, Evil can only be defined in a specific religious context. There are many examples, but forum rules may deny religious and political debate. I just want to point out that one society may condone and celebrate activities that another condemns and punishes. As an individual I can define Evil. That definition derives from my religious beliefs, not my country's laws.

Silverglade Sunrunner likes this.
  18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Evil doesn't require a religious context, in my opinion. What is most required is wanton cruelty, and a total lack of compassion for the suffering of others, or cruelty just for the sake of being cruel, or taking delight in the suffering of others. Murder may be illegal, for example, but depending on how the murder is committed, it may or may not be evil.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

That's like saying you need religious context to have a concept of good, in my view.

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Hrm, I guess you could break it down to those with a conscience, and those without. That's where the lawful, neutral, and Chaotic levels come in to play. How much or how little conscience does one have.

Owain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.