Bro, do you even Role Play???

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

[quote="Bowen Bloodgood, post: 229164, member: 1950]What some people seem to fail to realize is that not everyone enjoys being attacked without provocation. It ruins their enjoyment and thus they'll remove themselves from that environment. [/quote]

Good god they should make the monsters do no damage. God forbid someone dies during a raid in the dungeon. People play this game to chill and have fun with friends right? Why should mobs spoil thier fun? People might leave because of this. To sims online probably.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hmm if you need another player to be your victim to support your play style I doubt you will get what you want here. The difference between a sweet person who preys on the guy fishing off by himself and a monster is...the monster may attack you and you can run off. That sweet guy who kills you and then proceeds to harrass you and loot all your stuff, thereby destroying any game plans you had for the night so he can get what he needs is pretty huge.

With monsters, the game is designed to let you know when you are in a dangerous area(mostly) and you can pretty much do risk/reward. Those sweet souls who decide you fishing is ground for murder and theft do not follow those rules....

Regardless, this won't happen in this game. So it's moot.

Silent Strider likes this.
  3. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

What a load of hog wash. Anyone being playing MMOs long enough know coming 2nd hand to a fight sucks.

The problem has come from games like WOW and such where when you die you lose nothing, nothing happens at all just a ress. Vice versa killing someone has not ramifications, no gain nothing. So people get their jollies off killing over and over. Just to be an Arsehat.

When you have games that have in depth player interactions - UO, EVE, there is a ramification for each action. UO had grey, red, PK hunters bounties. EVE has standings, kill rights, high sec/low sec.

People dont kill for no reason in these games, outside PvP flagged people, because the ramifications can be so great. Ditto for corpse camping...whats the point?!

This hold your hand attitude that has come about from MMOs has been a massive step backwards. Whats the point of playing an MMO where you cannot experience the full range of human interaction. Isnt this why we are here? To get away from theme park games?

I remember being pked in UO first time. It sucked! I learnt to not be an attractive target, or tried to be a hard target. I learnt to minimise what I carried, I learnt to actually be aware of where I am. Same goes for EVE. I do not pvp in EVE. I still enjoy the whole universe of the game. I like getting away from gankers, I like exploring, I still have shiny things but I only fly them when I have a posse. Shiny things in that game makes your normal play time easier, or quicker to make isk and do missions you couldnt do otherwise. To balance a game so everyone uses simple gear to get through content is rubbish. Its a bit of work but it is doable! And it works!

If you can get away from the ego slap down its fun. You are cutting away a huge part of an MMO - bounties, grudges, mercernaries, PK Hunters, kill rights etc. If a law system is put in right you have increased the IMMERSION (everyone loves throwing this around) of the game. You want an intelligent game. You want a deep gaming experience.

I am not a hard core pvper. But I enjoy the aspect of trying to be smarter than a bunch of gankers.

ANd finally I am sick of people saying If there is a loot system im not playing, you dont see people who are pro looting say if there is no looting im not playing. That kind of attitude is counter productive and frankly if I was a developer I would not want to be held hostage to these comments. Gaming used to be about pushing the enevelope and entertainment, now its an excercise of making as much money as possible with a cookie cutter genre with the same old features. I am hoping RG stays innovative here, every game I have played of his has been great. Anyway this is optional multiplayer its not like the people who dont want to experience the full experience have to let strangers into their game, so why should there be no looting?

And finally, look at Dark Souls. Brutal games can and are successful and generate a loyal player base.

*drops mic*

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

The reward for best post goes to you, sir. People who have seen ress killing only in wow dont know what they be talkin bout. Now watch as they storm in and start posting about how they been resskilled billions of times in UO during the pre tram era.
    P.s. post-tram it was just like wow, boring and unrewarding pvp, so no wonder people did ressskilled theree alot.

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes you do.

6. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Whether you, I, or the milkman like it or not, Developers are hostage to market forces. Whether threats are made in this forum or not, players will vote with their wallet. I am not suggesting that innovative solutions are not viable but I can say that there are positions advocated in this thread and many other threads) that threaten the economy of scales and sustainability of the player community in Shroud of the Avatar. I doubt Single Player Offline is going to sustain Shroud of the Avatar by itself nor is a survival of the fittest atmosphere for the Online.

To suggest that both sides have not threatened is naïve at best. Some community members that lean towards PvP have already voted with their feet in search of greener pastures for their preferred play style. I am willing to bet that those that have walked so far are fewer in number than would walk if some of the positions in this the thread are implemented. Forget making money, it will cost money to sustain Shroud of the Avatar so I would hope the Developers are concerned about revenues.

Silent Strider and rune_74 like this.
  7. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

'Developers are hostage to market forces'...same old thing always coming from the casual crowd like some kind of excuse. And again I ask: why do you keep counting other people's money?

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  8. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

And again we hit on the myth that PvP does not make money, that its only the PvE Raiding crowd that brings in the players.

Vote with their feet? Its a pledge! We pledge coz we wanted to see a RG game and not another themepark/wow clone. Heck the fact that UO, more than 10 years after its peak holds such a hallowed place in our hearts says so much about it.

The fact people still talk about UO, play EVE and other real MMOs says something about what can make money and what cant. How many WOW clones and theme park MMOs we seen come and go? It says alot.

WOW was great coz back then alot of us grew up playing Warcraft 1 and 2 so of course to step forward into that universe was awesome but surely we are all mature enough to take it somewhere else now?

We dont want baddies who are bad coz they have shifty eyes and wear black we want real bad guys that create bandit enclaves, that we loathe so much coz they took our shiny sword. We want Guilds to get together and stomp on those guys so we can all giggle at their demise! That is the point of playing with other people - real heros, real badguys, real shades of grey

You and your pals want to be the worlds greatest undefeated heroes go restrict your online game play to friends only.

I honestly dont get this loot debate, its optional Multiplayer!

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  9. Owain

Owain Avatar

You don't know this. There may not be many fishermen flagged for Open PvP (if there will be fishing in SotA), but you will be absolutely free to threaten every single one who has. I don't worry about not being able to attack mimes, but if I ever see one, I'll be sorely tempted.

In the meantime, threaten the players you will see, and await with joyous anticipation the day when you see your first fisherman when at last, you can fulfill your goal.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure what players like Templar Assassin are complaining about. If you flag for Open PvP, you'll be able to attack everyone you see. If they add a full loot option, as I suggest, what will you be missing from your Open PvP role play?

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I'd like a system where someone could take all that I was carrying but there would be consequences for doing so. If I died in a dangerous place, the looter would be at risk by taking the time to loot in a system like the one proposed by Ristra. Also, if you take all of my stuff, you're going to be weighed down by your stuff AND my stuff.

I am still wondering how it will work if I'm laying there dead for however long. My killer has moved on with whatever loot he or she wanted would someone be able to pick up what remained?

That is how it works in some PvE... It would be interesting if the system kept track of the names of who looted you and what they took but it would be funny if you never knew who took what because you're dead! Maybe if you were a ghost or something OOOooooOOOOO and were able to make notes of who took what from you body. TemplarAssassin I am going to haunt you for months if you don't give my teddy bear back!

blaquerogue likes this.
  12. Owain

Owain Avatar

What would be wrong with OPO Open PvP Full Loot as I have proposed it?

blaquerogue and sn0tub like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

So would I, but that is for a yet to be announced justice system.
    For as long as your body persists, but with the addition of a criminal justice system, stealing penalties should then apply.

Depends upon what system the devs decide upon for criminal justice.

14. Moorlander

Moorlander Avatar

I'll tell you what. Nothing! This is a game where people opt into PvP, it should be expected, there would be no surprise, and a choice made by the player. I'm going to select that choice, who is anyone else to tell me how to play my game?

blaquerogue, Owain and sn0tub like this.
  15. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I'll be missing:
    -skill cap and all the playstiles associated with limited skillpoints
    -TRULY open PvP. Don't you see that with the system that sota devs currently have in mind the only people flagged for PvP will be armed to the teeth, built for pvp-alone thugs? Dont you see how this strays from the realism you keep talking about?
    I thought we're talking bout the same things but clearly you don't understand me for some wierd reason.

and if they don't? Cuz as of now they don't seem to like the idea of full loot.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Then they don't. I mean it is the devlopers choice right?

17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

So, Owain, I presume you love beer very much?..

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If you want people to be weak and frail or easy targets then design a roll for those people to play and enjoy. Forcing the roll won't work.

19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

What does full loot add to the game? Something for you but not something for everyone.

You only really made one point. You want to take everything off of a person.

20. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Well, we are talking realism. That's the basis of this thinly veiled money grab. The system should be realistic as players will definitely try to 'game' the system.

This means that the rule set should define realism, not players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.