One Gigantic Concern

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by QuixtarDragon, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuixtarDragon

QuixtarDragon Avatar

Hello,

Eighteen months ago I was excited to learn that one of my lifetime earthly idols, a man who literally had influence on my life through his work, was starting a new project. I was thrilled to contribute to this project, and as it stands today, I look forward to expectation of the finished product.

But, as I personally have done with anything I like, I observe infinitely more than I participate. My feeling always has been it is better for me to see the result and to go from there than to fiddle in how the sausage is made. So, thats what I've done, sat back, observed, said almost nothing, anticipating where this is headed. Other considerations such as life issues and my health have played a massive part in that decision, but I am comfortable in that role.

We all know that Shroud is a unique community-involved game which has blossomed into things unknown, and on one hand that's outstanding. But, on the other hand it raises an issue, at least for me.

When I fired up my Apple/PC to play the 'U' series ... I was playing a LORD BRITISH game, yes it included his team of experts and Origin. I was not playing a "LORD BRITISH and fans" game. Please please understand that I am not trying to disparage what the community has done for this project, because what I have observed is fantastic.

But as fantastic as all this is. I trust Richard, I trust the staff at Portalarium, I put my faith in them. Extraordinary students have come out of the woodwork to assist. But at the end of the day, in my opinion, the clay is better molded, refined, polished and designed by the Teacher, rather than his students.

I guess my question is -- as wonderful as this involvement is, I tend to defer to the Master and are we drowning out what he really intended for Shroud? If we were to take gallons of spray paint to the Sistine Chapel, go to the ceiling and make our own art, even if Michelangelo somehow approved, would it still be a masterpiece? Am I asking a question of sacrilege?

Thank you for reading,
    Quixtardragon

smack, Kaisa, rune_74 and 5 others like this.
  2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

You're severely over-stating the case. Richard has made it clear that he wants feedback, listens to it, considers it and then: makes the decision he feels is best, based on his original vision and the input he receives.

The team is not just putting in everything the community asks for, but they are listening and using the feedback to guide the decision which they (the development team) make.

3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I hear your point. Time will tell... I think it's important to be cautious about the automatic assumption, "community = better".

smack likes this.
  4. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

5. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

It would be more like Michelangelo taking suggestions on what to paint and not everyone painting. This will still be a LB game because no matter what the crowd suggest it is still being filtered through this team. Just because someone wants a rainbow colored lizard race from outer space doesn't mean it fits with what is envisioned but will be worked in anyway. I wouldn't worry too much.

smack and docdoom77 like this.
  6. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Exactly, and to further reassure you, it seems Richard's opinion is pretty much worth the opinion of the whole staff combined (with maybe the exception of Darkstarr).

I'm pretty sure some features of the game will be included solely because Mr Garriott wanted them in no matter what.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not denouncing a dictatorial system :) Though the end result will of course be the accomplishment of the whole team when you look at every last detail, the overall vision and direction comes from Richard.

It's exactly the same as with movies, great directors don't always make good movies and great technical teams don't always work with good directors. But in our case I'm pretty confident we have a great "director" working with a great and very motivated technical staff.

docdoom77 and smack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.