Puzzles

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Hightower, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hightower

Hightower Avatar

I've always loved the puzzles in dungeons to bypass certain areas. I remember one very frustrating one in U8 ( I believe ). In a cellar, there were 5 switches on the wall, and a locked door. I spent countless hours, throwing these switches in different positions to open the door. Up, down, down, down, down. Up, up, down down, down. And so one.
    After extreme frustration, I gave up, and retreated to previous explored areas, hoping to find some clue on how to get past this room. ( we didn't have the Internet back then - figure it out or pull your hair out. ). :)
    After a couple days of searching and finding nothing, I returned to the cellar. As I walked into the cellar, I was hugging one of the walls, I suddenly passed thru a illusionary wall. Down a long dark hallway, that went offscreen from the cellar, it opened, into a small room. Lo and behold, there was a single switch on the wall. I pulled it, went back to the cellar. OMG, the door was open. :)
    That was a very devious puzzle........

2. Malchir

Malchir Avatar

Yeah Ultima VIII had some great puzzles like this. I'd highly recommend such puzzles in SOTA. The eerie ambient music and atmosphere in Pagan was amazing, to this day, the scariest game I ever played. Today it may look unrealistic, but when I played it for the first time in 1994 it was amazing, and without having any walkthroughs took a long time to figure out compared to games today.

3. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Ultima VIII, as goony as it was, had a very eerie atmosphere that I don't think has been recreated to this day.

and yeah the puzzles ruled. I would expect alot of puzzles in this game as well.

4. ReleeSquirrel

ReleeSquirrel Avatar

I'm pretty sure that was in Ultima 7 Part 2: The Serpent Isle. Are you sure it was in U8? The trick room you're describing sounds like one of the trick rooms under the Inn. There were so many layers to that place!

5. Detramin_Mynox

Detramin_Mynox Avatar

The UO-LBR power generators (forget what they were called). They had a strange sort-of maze/puzzle to them and you would get zapped if you missed.

I liked it.

I think that LB could throw something like a "puzzle generator" into the game. It could give you a selection of puzzles to solve (basically adapted from the old games and using randomized solutions). It could give you some kind of title or cosmetic skin for your armor/weapon/house/whatever. Maybe a set of clothes that looks like you went shopping with the Riddler and Matthew Lesko?

Nothing that could be traded and is, therefore "worthless" so people don't just farm the device and it should be something you get for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.