I was just about to click pledge, intill i read this post on MMORPG.com about housing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by makasouleater, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you can purchase a house in game with gold
    How can I purchase a house?

There are three ways to purchase a house. Backers at Citizen level and above receive an exclusive house with their pledge. Players can also purchase houses in the game through earned in game currency. Finally players can purchase houses from the Add-On store (some of which are exclusive).
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_5a

Time Lord and Jatvardur like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

How can I purchase a house?

There are three ways to purchase a house. Backers at Citizen level and above receive an exclusive house with their pledge. Players can also purchase houses in the game through earned in game currency. Finally players can purchase houses from the Add-On store (some of which are exclusive).

FAQ

There will be houses available for purchase in game with in game currency.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

No, that's not true. You'll be able to buy a lot and a house with in-game currency.

As far as what's bought with real-world currency: except for the tax-free lots tied to certain pledges, the player will need to pay regular taxes on them to keep their location. Otherwise, they lose it. Plus, the devs have said that they're going to try to keep lots available for a certain percent of the playerbase, to make sure that anyone who wants a lot will be able to get one. There will be player-run towns, so there'll be plenty of space.

Finally, something that's been talked about is alternatives to houses for a lot of game functions: players might be able to set up a vendor in a market square. Possibly, bank space could be expanded. Etc.

5. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Yeah i read that too, that is why i am confused as to where these people are getting that information. About housing being only bought though the store. Thanks muchly for the responses.

6. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Well ethier way i am pledge now:) Hope to see some of you in the game.

7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Well, first off, has there been any CONCRETE numbers reported as to how many plots the game will have and how many have been sold (KS or otherwise)? If not, then at best you have speculation, at worst you have a bunch of complaining.

Basically, you have three tiers outright: Kickstarter Backers who get the option of a plot and house with no ingame upkeep costs, People who purchase via the ingame store with an ingame upkeep cost, and people who purchase the house and lot with ingame currency with ingame upkeep cost.

After the game gets going and the initial land rush occurs, you'll then have an open market of people buying and selling houses and locations, maybe for cash, maybe for bitcoin, maybe for ingame currency... who knows at this point.

In terms of completing the game's storyline, a house may not even be a necessary item. In terms of establishing an online MMOG-style presence, a house will be more desired. Where you fall along those lines is up to you. Also remember that the game will be expanding in BIG ways with each Episode (Forsaken Virtues is merely Episode 1 of 5, and I believe the FV map is only about 1/9th the planned size), and with each release will be even more places to own a home.

It won't be handed to people unless they "invest" in the game in that manner, but by the same token it won't be impossible either. Too many variables we don't know yet to determine how difficult buy a house with ingame currency is going to be.

Time Lord and Sweetmcpwnsauce like this.
  8. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Thanks:) It sounds just like UO, i am glad i asked in here. The way that person on mmorpg made it sound, was that the only way to get a house was to buy it.

Time Lord and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  9. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

Only benefit of getting a house from the pledge levels is that they are tax free. Everything besides exclusive items that are just deco will be purchase-able with in game currency. So don't worry about needing to pay with cash for anything unless you want to pledge and/or buying the game apon release. <];D

Time Lord likes this.
  10. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Alas, you'll find that a lot of the info on SotA outside of these forums is incorrect.

You'll also find that much of the info on SotA *inside* of these forums is incorrect too. But in those cases it is most likely to get corrected faster. :)

Time Lord, Hazard, licemeat and 2 others like this.
  11. stile

stile Avatar

We bid ye welcome and if i can ever lend a hand, you need but ask.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I've done a lot of research on this subject. While many have already addressed the topic, and quite well I might add, there is still the subject of available housing post-launch. The only sure-fire way to obtain housing, currently, is by purchasing a lot deed in the add-on store, or pledging. However, there are several player owned towns that will be available post-launch where lots will be available. You will have to own a lot deed and a house, or purchase one with in-game currency, and then find some cool player town, join a guild that has a player town, or just wait until we are provided more information regarding the subject.

Considering that most of us already have pledges, we are not that worried about housing, but we are worried about brand new players not having the capability of owning a house in this world. I believe it will be heavily reliant upon individual people's decisions about how many houses they are to place. Originally the thought was that only 1 house per player, but now we are seeing an influx of multiple housings per player.

While there shouldn't be much of a problem finding a lot to place your home on, there is an issue of players new to the game, post-launch, that wont get the opportunity unless they unite with a player town, or wait until a new chapter gets released with new lands.

I hope what I said helped or at least alleviated 'some' of the confusion, but I have been thinking about the post-launch housing subject for some time now. :)

13. smack

smack Avatar

Your first mistake was believing a random forum post on mmorpg.com. :) They aren't exactly the best source of info when trolls run rampant on their forums. It's always best to go to the source, so we're glad you did. Welcome to the community.

And there will be plenty of available land, especially given the proliferation of player-owned towns, which likely now outnumber the NPC towns by almost 2:1 at this point.

14. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

Thanks again for all the good information:) Also thanks for the welcome:)

DavenRock [MGT], Time Lord and Mata like this.
  15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think the availability of towns for purchase means that there really won't be scarcity of housing. Someone may have to cough up $$ somewhere, but this really isn't the same as a fix number of lots.

It's impossible to guess at the housing economy because we really have no idea whether 50,000 people will play or 2 million. Since they can't just add new servers, they'll have to come up with something.

16. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Not to mention that design plans are changing quite constantly between the initial KS announcement to now and from now until release. In short, Starr's famous quote: "Don't Lawyer me, bro!"

Time Lord likes this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Makasouleater. Very nice to have you here. ****cheers****

Time Lord likes this.
  18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

They're just "bitter" that SotA has a large following, and therefore will be a success, so they have to "stomp" on it hoping ppl will listen. Don't fall for it... The only "official" information is on the SotA site and in video/text interviews with Starr Long, Richard Garriott and the other Dev's on this project...

Forums are full of ppl who just post "trash talk", listen to the developers and make your own judgments... If you haven't pledged yet, then you will never see the project unfold...

Time Lord likes this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

There are some bitter haters of RG out there that jump on him for everything he does...

Time Lord and SmokerKGB like this.
  20. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I've never been able to grok the loathing some people have for RG that causes them to want to root for SotA to fail, and also then spend an hour trash talking RG and writing about how badly they think SotA will. Granted, sometimes what Richard says doesn't come across well in written interviews; in person or on video, he has a certain charm and a subtle way of inflecting his statements that doesn't translate well when that context is removed. But Richard is simply one of the most gracious, pleasant, and charismatic souls I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and one of the best storytellers I've ever heard. And my goodness, has he accumulated some stories during his adventures!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.