Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Wow, SoTA On It's Way To Becoming A Classic RPG

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by twobells, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Very very slooooooowly becoming a classic RPG. Things I liked this release

Healing self targeting automatically
    Mohawk finally doesn't look like plastic lego head

AdamZax and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  2. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

at this point I'd say, SotA could become a really good MMO...

I know, that they don't want to spoiler the story, but I'd like to see at least, how it will be presented (they could invent a situation aside the storyline or a side quest for a future release). The chat based dialog system, we have at the moment doesn't look very flexible. For example I'd like to know, when a NPC wants to tell us something important, how will the devs make sure, his message doesn't get buried under tons of text. And how will it work in the MMO context with dozens of other peoples around (it's really ridiculous, when someone tries to tell you, that you're the last hope, when you are infact number 500 this day...)

BTW. I really don't like the idea of Chaos vs Order, which sounds like Cowboys vs Indians for me (or Black vs White; or Good vs Evil); it's the same problem, that I have with Kotor, that there's only black and white and you get penalized when you try to be a real person and don't act according to clichès, just to min/max your character...

Kaisa likes this.
  3. twobells

twobells Avatar

You have a very valid point, I have yet to see any real single player elements to the game appear yet, strange..unless the devs are trying to say that we can play the MMO in a single player mode?
    What do we know about the Single Player Campaign?

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Basically how I understood it is that if you play in single player mode then SotA will play like a traditional single player RPG. You can follow the story, do quests, explore the world just like you are playing any other single player RPG. There are still some questions left unanswered though. For example what about companions? What about balancing in regard to items and monsters? What about respawns? Will choices have consequences that have an impact on the world and its inhabitants?

5. makasouleater

makasouleater Avatar

I dono, i just joined, and havent got to play yet. I have watched videos, and read some about the combat. I didnt know about the food system, but i really hope they make it more complicated then less complicated.

6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Not yet A LOT has to be done first

7. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

To me the solo RPG parts stand out as more fleshed out than the MMO parts so far. Just wandering around talking to NPCs brings up multiple quest chains to follow, and really speaking to NPCs and just exploring towns has been by far the most immersive part of the game so far.

They've shown that their dialogue system works, and that our journals get updated and quests progress. The only real thing they need to do for the rest of the game is input data into new quest lines. In theory the basic system is already ready to go. We'll probably still see some more get added in pre-Alphas but we shouldn't expect to really experience the full-bore solo RPG feel until Beta.

Plus all these combat abilities and deck systems being tested the past 2 releases are equally needed in PVE and in PVP. They're just using PVP to test it because players can find more glitches/bugs/cheap combos.

8. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Maybe I could be wrong but from the very start of this project, I never heard the Devs mention there goal was to be a WoW killer or even competitive other AAA titles. I also saw it as basically creating an game that would bring back some of the "ultima" like experience in a new and different way. My guess is the Dev Team didn't really care about hitting a certain number of players. The way they are designing the game with everyone in one world will allow SotA to seem crowded with a regular player base of 1000 people. I am sure there will be much more then that in SotA, my point in bring it up is that numbers is not going to be the main measuring stick for the success of this game. To be honest in my opinion the social interaction and community has already made SotA a winner compared to almost anything out there. The player communities in SotA are so rich that they will provide unlimited content and entertainment for people.

I enjoy games for the social aspect and I am much slower to warm up to a good story line in a game, but the story line in SotA will be another big draw for a population of people. In so many games story is often an afterthought and not very thought provoking, but RG's track record has been damn good in this respect.

I could go on an on to include crafting and other things that I feel it will be a success despite overall numbers or dollars.

As for peoples comments on this being Pre-Alpha and release being a few months away. I have never heard an exact date of release, in fact I tend to remember reading or hearing a dev chat where getting the game in a solid playing state is most important then an exact release date. I would imagine there will be a point where they will allow us to keep the same player instead of starting over with character customization. So a reasonable delay would most likely sit well with the player base because of the funding source you don't have a large company throwing a 100 million at the game and wanting their money back plus profit, so this takes some of the pressure off development.

I am not expecting this to calm many people down who are upset about SotA, but maybe one or two people will back way from the ledge and really see all the outstanding things happening.

sn0tub likes this.
  9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Deck combat will be fine.
    We do need travel stuff though!
    Imagine, a game where we get:
    -Horses
    -Aircars
    -Skiffs
    -Ships
    -Shuttles
    -Flying carpets
    -Air balloons

I wonder why nobody's ever done it before :p

edit: ALSO CAMP SCENES WITH COMPANIONS *poof*

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Sounds like Archage Online.....they have most of that already...lol

11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Yeah I've been hearing good things about Archage. Might have to try it while SotA cooks.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I Love Pre-Alpha!

sn0tub likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.