Hiding skill request :)

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Gatsu., Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

one of the most useful skills on UO is the Hiding skill.. (nice to loot.. nice to attack.. great to breathe a sigh of relief in a dungeon)
    like on UO... the skill requires night/dark places... a tree.. grass.. shrubs.. to work for a niubbie.. and nothing for a veteran hunter / assassin

i hope that this feature can be added soon to SotA :)

[​IMG]
    (this is just a concept)

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I could never arrange myself that a thief became invisible while hiding and that he could sneak around unseen in open field...

Net likes this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

A skilled hunter or soldier can sneak around at a reduced movement rate, even in an open field in the wilderness.
    But unless there is an animation for belly crawl through tall grass and bushes, it is easier to portray it as becoming invisible.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Using your picture as an example - you are wayyyy to far out from that tree to be able to hide. IF there is hiding you will need to be right up against that tree in my book. If someone can walk in between you and the object that is making you hidden that is unrealistic.

5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I just came back from camping recently and did some wandering at night, in the dark. I noticed that it could be very difficult to see others and that even without a hiding skill, the dead of night was a friend to those who did not wish to be seen. The other thing I noticed is that when it is dark like that, other senses tended to compensate or take over. I would hear people coming before I would see them. The branches would snap, leaves would rustle, someone would stumble or place their foot down too heavy and this would tell me that someone was there.

I think that even with the hiding skill, some of these auditory clues could be incorporated into the game to warn others that someone is nearby, the question would then be how to best bring that in.

First of all I think we should be able to, without skill, try to make our way through places at night without being detected (See here) but this is just a natural stealth where you are actively walking in the shadows trying not to be seen but have no special abilities to help you out. If someone notices you then 'the chase is on'. We could even add the occasional auditory clues in this situation as someone unskilled would likely make noises as they try to travel unseen.

Skilled hiding and stealth could include the ability to reduce or eliminate noises completely. Additionally, except at high levels, it could force the player to 'walk' and not 'run' from place to place. And other players should have the option to train their 'perception' so that they have a chance to counter the stealth, but only for themselves.

I think stealth can be a great addition to the game but it needs to be done properly to work.

TheMadHermit, Leos and Athanil [BEAR] like this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This is too easy a solution. If you would not be invisible there is always a chance that you could be spotted even when crawling through grass. Using invisibility completely takes away the opportunity to be spotted and thus is not very realistic.
    Another thing about hiding is that the skill applies to you and not the ones you are hiding from. So maybe one person could not spot you but another one would be able to from where he is standing. But when the skill applies to you, you simply become invisible to everyone, even if he is standing right next to you.

7. Apollyon9515

Apollyon9515 Avatar

I always thought hiding and stealth were cool skills and could see alot of role players emjoying the sneaking around unseen aspect so i hope it happens for you guys.

Its funny people are knocking on your idea of it not being realistic as your about to cast a magic fireball.... :D

Derium likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Fr0m the Magic, Combat, and Skills megapost (my highlighting):

Moon Magic: Stealth

Active
    • Night Vision: Ups the Ambient light level
    • Vanish: Makes the player difficult to see as long as he stands still
    • Shadow form: Makes the player appear only as a shadow
    • Fascinate: A mesmerizing type spell
    • Summon Wil-o-wisp: A light source pet that fights for you
    • Celestial blessing: Increases resistance towards magic
    • Moon Glow: Glow that produces a damage buff but has % to do defense debuff
    • Moonlight Trance: Buffs focus regen rate on allies. Debuffs focus regen on hostiles
    Innate:
    • Moon Worship: Buffs base stats while in moonlight
    • Moon Eater: extra % HP per sec while in moonlight

Still needs more stealth skills.

Net, TEK, TheMadHermit and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

on UO a player (on some unofficials shards) with 100% of hidding skills (and complementary skills) can walk for 6-7 foot steps (not in combat mode) can cast speels (without reappear) and manage objects.

the player can be un-hidden when something (elemental..animal..NPC...other players) touches it's body
    or some sort of long-range magic spell (healing/earthquake/reveal... etc etc ect) reach it

maybe on this game it's possible to do something like a "crouching/crawling" on the grasses with a semi-transparent effect...

(sorry for my english)

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I don't see thieving skills as magic. It is in line with a fighter swinging a sword or a crafter crafting something. A skill, nothing magical.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  11. Apollyon9515

Apollyon9515 Avatar

thats nice but i didnt mention stealing or thieving..... Id consider the ability to walk around invisible pretty magical and if you can do it IRL you should be able to make some good $ :)

I just hate when one RP group is mean/critical of another RP group and i dont even RP.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I count sneaking to thieving skills ;)
    No problem with becoming invisible if it is a spell. But as a sneaking-skill it just doesn't make sense for me to become invisible.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  13. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

While the concept is definitely cool I vote no. Reason? The game will eventually turn into nothing but stealth wars. I've seen it happen over and over in every game that permits the player to go invisible. UO and DAoC immediately comes to mind. Yes, I played a stealther in every game that had it since the advantage of surprise and opening always went to the invisible player. To not have it was to be disadvantaged. Camoflauge yourself next to a tree is one thing but if you move in my field of vision I should detect it. I'd rather just bypass that whole mess.

14. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

nice!

15. Net

Net Avatar

Well, we have magic (moon magic for stealth). I still think that there should be non-maxic hiding but I would prefer it to be more realistic, like in Arma (though it is hard without forcing everyone into first person view).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.