1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Darkstarr's Release 9 Impressions + Release 10 Plan

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

How about Transcendentalist? The sun and the moon are clearly apart from the earth itself, and life and death are sort of abstract. They are all other worldly, and in a way they are different realms than earth.

EDIT: I forgot about transcendentalism. That could send a mixed message to some people. Unless the message isn't that big of a deal to Richard. Otherwise Transcendental would be a good descriptor.

danceswithstaplers likes this.
  2. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack is taken aback! For it seems that the selection of words above violates even the basic rules of even player submitted works as put forward by your royal subordinates. Just look at all that Greek in there, Captain Jack thinks that the New Brits would know nothing of such things nor would they be so inclined as to incorporate them into their society... So how then does one explain these most basic inconsistencies to Captain Jack? Or the rest of the community?

Captain Jack begs for originality, if it isn't too good for players submitting work for you, it isn't too good for players to get from you.

3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I don't want to put any spoilers out there, but there actually is a way that New Britannians and the people of the Veil would know of such things. If you want to know more, read BotA.

4. danceswithstaplers

danceswithstaplers Avatar

I like the meaning, but it's just not very catchy. How about Mystic?

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  5. danceswithstaplers

Starromancy?;)

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  6. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

ok that's funny.
    I don't like the sound of chaomancy, it sounds cute but not like chaos^^

I would suggest diataramancy from diatarachí (disorder in greek) for chaos

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Since it is chaos it could break the *mancy trend, and have a unique name.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    How about for Chaos we could have "Forum-mancy" Because of all the different and chaotic views of the members! :p

Kvow, sn0tub and Gaelis like this.
  9. danceswithstaplers

Gnosticism? I believe Gnossis is Greek for "knowledge" or "to know". The Gnostics were also a group of mystics who believed in secret knowledge.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What about Preparation for the name of the focus tree? Or something that implies mental and/or physical discipline of some kind.

Focus tree is more discipline than pure knowledge.

The greek word for discipline may not work because they had different words for different types of discipline. The English word is broader and more relevant to many players.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Don't know a lot of greek but I've read “estíasis” is the act of focusing (I miswrote this on my first post, leaving out the first s).

As for discipline, here's a source
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Greek-2004/2011/10/discipline-vs-self-control.htm

“enkráteia” would be the proper meaning.

They also might want a recognizable (and catchy) root so people don't have to guess what it means, so this might all not be relevant.

12. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

For Life Magic I would go with something like Vivacimancy, even though using vivify for the source verb is a little convoluted. I just can't think of anything better here.

I still think Focus is too essential to be grouped together solely with the magic side of the combat system, so something simple like "Concentration" or "Meditation" would work for me if "Focus" itself isn't good enough.

Chaos magic could also bend the rules in its naming, but just about anything should work... something like Chaotimancy, Arcanimancy, Voidimancy, or just plain Sorcery would all work for me. Heck you could leave this school of magic nameless or base the name on Darkstarr if you really wanted to as well.

A force to oppose Druids on the magic scales?
    Normally I'd say that would be something like a Warlock, but the inclusion of Life magic kinda goes against that image; so I'd probably go with a more generic term like Sorcerer, Wizard, or Occultist in that case, even though the natural elements would typically also fall under the expertise of those classes. *shrug*

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Was reading a bit about the difference between necromancy and sciomancy. Necro- in necromancy originally referred to corpses, dead bodies, while scio- referred to the spirits or souls of the dead.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  14. CaptainJackSparrow

How does Captain Jack get whatever BotA is for this marvel of storytelling wonder which players cannot follow yet main story and devs can?

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

by the hairs of a scurvy dog

CaptainJackSparrow likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If you study the Bible long enough eventually you would find referencing the greek manuscripts interesting.

A good example is after Peter betrayed Jesus and denied knowing him three times. There is a passage in John where after Jesus was raised, Jesus asks Peter do you love me? Peter says yes lord you know that I love you. And jesus would say feed my sheep.

The third time Jesus asked do you love me he used a different greek word for love than he did before. Agape (Godly Love). The previous two times he used phileo (brotherly love) to say do you love me? Peter replied yes lord I phileo you. The third time Jesus said Peter do you "agape" me, it said peter was hurt because he asked a third time saying Peter do you "agape" me. Peter replied Lord you know all things you know that I love (phileo) you. Jesus said feed my sheep...

So yes I find reading a little bit of greek very insightful, because knowing the words used changes the entire deapth of the discussion that most English translations fail to get across.

Here's the passage I am referring to. The English translation loses some of the meaning... The once over confident Peter humbly replies that he phileos the Lord and in a way acknowledges he was not capable of agape in his natural self.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21:15-19&version=NIV

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  17. CaptainJackSparrow

Guys, Captain Jack wonders why you go so far down these irrelevant conversation trees?

Look at the bigger picture here. How did Greek, an ancient Earth language get from Earth to New Brit? Over dark web? Have a look at "Avatars" themselves, from what I know they all came from Earths recent past. "The Avatar" had a fridge and a TV with a really bad sports game too, so must have had some console gaming too. Where did the Greek come from? Did a Gyros shop get sucked through a lunar rift somewhere by accident?

It isn't even the fact that we're talking about English here, we're talking about an ancient Earth language.

Yeah I haven't got my hands on whatever BotA is, but I find it hard to believe it could explain away those things to Captain Jack's staisfaction.

Isaiah [MGT] and sn0tub like this.
  18. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Mate, I liky my 2am kebab after killing those Liches. Its an adventurers' staple meal!

Typical post adventure kebab scene!

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL!
    Patron: "i told you i wanted more cumber sauce on my gyro!",
    Waiter :" look you have to pay $1.50 more if you want extra sauce!"
    Patron: "Hell to the no!!!"
    Announcer: In the right corner we have "Pita Bread McFee", and in the left corner we have "El Mucho Cucumber Sauce-o" in this special no holds barred match anything goes!!

LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUUUMBLE"!!!

20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Blade of the Avatar. It's a prequel to the story in the game. You might have gotten a copy with your pledge. If you did, you can find it on your account page. If not, they do sell it in the Addon Store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.