Very concerned! Dev pls read

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by brand0o, Sep 21, 2014.

?

Agree with me?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2014.
  1. Yes

17.7%
  2. No

82.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brand0o

brand0o Avatar

Darkfall was made by like 5 friends with no money in a basement god knows where and they manged to make one of the biggest free roam worlds to date so it doesnt make sense why richard and starr who i always hear about how amazing these guys are and 5 million dollars of everyones money couldnt.in which i just saw a video on richard bragging about one of the ultimas about how detailed it was you could pickup every cup and open every cabinet and such could possibly go this route. It just seems like a huge mistake. Now when hes using EA' money he built the most amazing game but now that he started his own company with which is now his money he seems to be doing it cheaply. Thats how i see it.

2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Learn how to use capitalization in your sentences, LOL :p

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  3. Borg

Borg Avatar

Why don't we have cheap dreams?

4. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

A sentence always begins with a capital letter.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

He who casts stones...

6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

According the website MMPORPG vote it best Indie MMO.
    If they want to keep adding extra's they could just add an instance entry point to a 3D world. MMO's are always updating entire area's on the map (LotRo).
    Yes a huge map with a few 100 of the 16000 hex's having a fully fledged designed area. Yes there will be things happening on the overland map trouble is you can't interact with them, gather resources or fight unless you are dragged into an instance.

Every MMO player knows that the world will not work it will just become a grind to keep watching loading screens entering the same little boxed instance to collect resources time after time. They will not be having changes that frequent otherwise they may as well create 10 hex's and change them daily.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  7. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Well said!

8. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Apparently it will cost between 10 and 20 million to make an open world game. Seems quite steep to me, but what do I know?

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

There are things in discussion in dev+ right now concerning hexes and traveling, if you have access read up on the thread "overland map". I would post it but it is against forum rules :(

Time Lord and Margard like this.
  10. brand0o

brand0o Avatar

Ya well said Wagram. Lord Marshall instead of posting the exact thing just give us a breif summary on what was said.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think that is a difference between the single player fans and the MMO fans.
    When I first heard about SotA during the Kickstarter campaign I imagined the world map to work like in Ultima 5. You wander around in this view, meet encounters, discover things and when you reach a special place you enter it. This idea could have worked as it works in many other RPGs. For example in Baldur's Gate you travel around on an overland map, Wasteland 2 uses such a system etc. And you explore certain areas in detail.
    Unfortunately I think that the system got twisted which I have to say is due to many of you thinking that SotA should be a classic MMORPG - sorry. I think SotA should definitely NOT be a classic MMORPG and I still think that it was not intended as such. In an MMORPG there are thousands of players running around in the same world, this is not the case with SotA, although many of you want to squeeze the game in this direction. This leads to some of the intended systems to not work anymore as they were imagined.
    Portalarium should have kept the vision of this game not featuring many players per scene, focusing on the adventure, but they seem to be persuaded to change so many elements of the game in order to please the MMO crowd that it becomes a twisted version of a classic MMORPG.
    We still have some of the core mechanics at work in the game but those don't seem to work quite well with a MMORPG - for example the overland map. But the overland map would work perfectly for the game SotA was originally meant to be. Selective multiplayer with few players visible, a SMORPG not an MMORPG!
    You seem to want Ultima Online 2 but SotA is not Ultima Online 2, it was never meant to be Ultima Online 2. But you urge the devs to make it into Ultima Online 2 and this does not work as some of the core mechanics will not support that. All SotA will become with all this pushing in the MMO direction is that it will neither be the game it was intended to be nor a true MMORPG.

rune_74, Alexander and Dean478 like this.
  12. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Yes, mustn't disclose privileged information to the lowly peasants.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

So, what is the point of this thread? Seems like its just a poor me pity party rant.

Time Lord and Logain like this.
  14. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

My opinion on what happens in Dev+ as changed dramatically over the 18 months the game as been in progress.

To me that's were all the bad decisions seem to be made by a select few 1000 that are not looking at the games appeal to a mass audience, some that may never have played UO/Ultima and never heard of RG.

They have brought us multi plot owning per account, Player towns, Selling off kickstarter founder status to anyone, enough freebie rares to fill a Town house. Nothing that will actually improve gameplay for the masses.

Dev+ should have been a closed offer for anyone that had backed during the kickstarter campaign, so design decisions stayed with the people that threw in a lot of money because they believed in the game.

Now we have 1000's just looking out for how they can make a profit from their pledged money.Improving the game has been taking 2nd stage to those idea's for the last year.

brand0o likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This is from the original Kickstarter Campaign:

I think the idea that this project somehow started out "ONLY" singleplayer and then magically turned into a multiplayer game is perhaps a bit of "Selective Single-Player" reasoning. But maybe I'm wrong and they added that line to the original Kickstarter Campaign after the fact? I think it's been there since I've been following this game, but I admit that I showed up about 3 months after the Kickstarter was over.

brand0o likes this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I totally agree.
    The problem with Dev+ is that most of those in Dev+ are those people who spent a lot of money to own plots and houses. Those are people who mainly come from the UO crowd. And as those have more influence on the devs due to their Dev+ status, they steer the game into a direction that seems to be far away from the original and unique design.

Another problem is that there is nothing that appeals to single player fans or those MMO players who are not interested in housing to pledge for a Dev+ level. I would love to bring my input into the Dev+ section and I would pay for it but why should I spent so much money when I do not want to own a house in the game?
    The whole Dev+ is jaded towards UO players and all others are left out. Thus our voices are not heard that much leaving those who want SotA to become UO2 with the most influence on the game. This is not ok.

Aron Swordmaster and wagram like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm in dev+, do you think I honestly look at how I can make money on my account? There isn't as many decisions made there as some of you think.

Baron, I don't think anyone is saying it started out as a single player game only, but it has changed to a MMO with some single player features tacked on.

Sir Cabirus, Joviex and Logain like this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

Starr posted this in the Steam forums in response to another user:
    "I can totally understand how it feels that we are leaning too much towards the MMO. However what you are seeing is just the necessary order of the schedule. The single player experience has to be built on top of the MMO, not the other way around. Additionally there are many spoilers in the plot and we want to hold on making too much of the plot available too early. We are of course dedicated to making an awesome and full-featured single player experience. Please be patient as we get there."

And let's not forget this post from Richard last month:

19. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I remember some guy not wanting the paper map & getting his way there. We're not all in it just for ourselves.

20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I'm in Dev+ too and I am a single player Ultima game veteran as the people might know here :) I've a Knight Marshal pledge and as a single player I don't really need my Tower Keep :p I just spend all the money to support the development of SotA :)

Spoon, Gaelis, Arianna and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.