Stop pushing SotA in the wrong direction!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Yea the game needs to remain playable though I dont want to farm regs for 2 days to go hunt for an hour.

I liked the idea of SWG where u had to be really dedicated to become a jedi, pretty cool and I think they should add spells like that for warriors and mages that require harder quests or certain achievments. Even if wish they introduced a brand new fighting style (bare handed kung-fu and why not japanese staff combat or chinese spear combat) but yeah keep dreaming buddy :p
    But seeing the Ardoris Castles I think a japanese style themed part of the world (like Tokuno) wowuld fit in greatly. Actually one of the expansions should be Feudal Japan themed world or added places with new armour weapons and animations! yes please ^^ you could name it The Samurai Empire 2 :p jk

2. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

But the "Crowd" doesnt know how to develop games!

Sir Cabirus and wagram like this.
  3. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Because you are already impatient to arrive its a great thing I think.

Writing that Lord British is making a new game after playing U7 and UO is like promising a little kid a new disney world in his hometown.

If you dont want whiners, let them play your game one year after release!

But we arent their Alpha nor beta testers, we are at best gathering data for them, knowing that I doubt they read ALL our concerns or ideas about the game. and actually hire some testers before release but they may need much less this way I dont know

4. HokageFont

HokageFont Avatar

I know that but they still get there opinion right

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The reason for this at the moment is that we do not really see magic or melee right now, we simply see combat in forms that look different.

My guess is that this does not represent the 'mentality' of the design so much as it does the early implementation of basic pieces necessary to build a system in the game. As the individual systems are built out I think we will begin to see more differentiation.

Still, I'm not sure that the idea of mages arrive 'just on time' totally works either. Sure we can make spell casting much more involved and require a lot of preparation, but then would the conversation not shift to every mage complaining as they get jumped in combat with nothing to fight with. The first answer to this is often ... well, wands. But are wands a real solution to a fun magic system, or just a way to justify magic spells being gimped while throwing mages a bone to make up for it?

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't share your optimism when it comes to the development design in it's current state. I love the dev team, they're really smart and talented, but so far they haven't built a combat or a magic system that has anything to do with roleplaying. It's all damage and cool downs. I think they started in the wrong place, and although they're very good listeners, I haven't seen them take any action to move combat and magic in a direction that supports more roleplaying. It's been 2 or 3 months.

As far as preparation goes, what's wrong with preparing to hide or run or escape when something unexpected happens? To me, it's silly to think mages or any characters should be able to solo without some serious preparation. Gandalf didn't run out to the Lonely Mountain all by himself, did he? He really didn't PLAN to do much of anything by himself. We shouldn't either.

I'm a fiercely independent player. Even the guild I created represents that (fiercely). So I'm not suggesting for a moment that people should have to "group up" to play this game. But what I am suggesting is that if you walk out by yourself into the spooky woods that are crawling with monsters, you shouldn't really have an expectation that you're going to kill them all, loot their dead bodies, and then walk back into town to buy phat loot. Again, that's a mentality that I don't think the current design has, but needs.

7. Zoucrew

Zoucrew Avatar

It's impossible for this to be a UO redux or throwback. UO as it started, was amazing, but after a while it's mechanics became it's own demise....Once people started "gaming" the system to a fine art, it became practically unplayable for your average joe. Trammel was a way to keep average joe and his friends in a friendly non "l33t hax04" environment. UO wasn't supposed to be for the hardcore crowd only....

They can't make that same mistake twice...but they also can't make the mistake of separating two worlds completely either. This game is FOUNDED and FUNDED with nostalgia, so in a way, it IS the spiritual successor to Ultima Online...and all the other Ultima's as well.

8. Galder

Galder Avatar

It is not a coincidence that the majority of the people here who wait for SOTA are UO fans, most of them hardcore, including me. Richard on the other hand is the creator of UO. So it makes absolute sense that the community pushes this game towards the UO direction. I have never played anything nearly as good as UO in my entire MMO career. I respect the fact that the UO path is not the path that some people prefer though.

Sean Silverfoot (PAX) and sn0tub like this.
  9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

They don't have to split the world, they need to create a shard for PvP and one for non PvP.

The best selling games around are single player RPG so the majority don't want to be stuck in a game with PvP griefers & PK'ers.

Look at the FPS they are just full of foul mouthed little morons screaming through their headsets..

adaamhimself and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  10. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

You re totally right but coming from Blizzard games u start being cautious about the "Crowd" :p

HokageFont likes this.
  11. Garth of Izar

Garth of Izar Avatar

This is what I don't get. I loved UO, it was my first MMO and played for years (until I finally started playing EverQuest), However I neither want nor expect SotA to be merely UO 2

What I do expect is a game that has it's own spin on game mechanics (combat, crafting, PvP and adventuring), story, world and lore, in essence a different game which SotA in fact is.

Also, as far as I see it, there are already quite a lot of similarities between UO and SotA as is except for the PvP aspect (which is mainly what I see the "I wan't UO 2" crowd is pushing for, UO PVP)

HokageFont likes this.
  12. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just to add my 2 cents, I haven't seen any real major shift in direction from the Devs. I understand people's worries about the development of the game as we are seeing things really early. With other Kickstarters, I avoided alpha/beta builds and development discussions for the very fact of avoid unnecessary panic or any ruining of the game. This project has been different but I have not had a lot of time for the SOTA alpha's recently which makes me remember why I avoid them to begin with. The problem is that the game will be very multiplayer focused during development, which was communicated up front. There are just a bunch of core features that need to be hashed out to be used in multiplayer at all, and single player will benefit from this as well. This can very easily feel like single player is being left behind, and is a valid worry as most games tend to lack on both sides when they don't focus on one of these experiences.

However, I personally do not feel that Port's message or plan for the game has changed. Sure there is a lot of debates in the community, but Port wants this game to have wide appeal which I don't think would be served catering to either crowd. No one can say any project won't be a disappoint, and that is always a risk with Kickstarters. Look at Clang which was successfully funded yet will not produce any product, and this is such a growing trend that KS has once again altered its TOS for project owners. In the end, just being disappointed this game is closer to UO than you wanted is not the worst that could happen.

I would suggest that anyone that is getting disappointed in SOTA's progress might consider taking some time off. There is such thing as "burning out" so a little distance can help gain new perspective or quell the worry. I am not telling anyone, nor would I ever, to leave the community: I am just suggesting a vacation. I have done the same for many things I have been heavily involved in and it does help when you are too close to a project.

I can say I have had concerns for every project I backed in regards to devs listening "too much" to the community. After all, I gave money to a group of artists to create a work of art, and would like for them to realize their vision (even a failed one) rather than just cratering to a bunch of people I don't know. However, its solves nothing to let that worry shadow our heart. If you had faith to support a vision before it was fully realized just extend that faith a little further to the end product.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think you have to see it from the perspective of those of us who thought UO wasn't as good as the other ultima games. That is what people are afraid of , making a world not as detailed as the Ultima games. I found what made ultima so good was lost in UO, or watered down to the point it barely reflected any of what made the older games good to me.

That's not to say UO didn't have good ideas or things that worked, but to me it just wasn't ultima.

14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I would agree that if you're finding yourself getting so upset that you are actually angry, a cooling off period is probably a good idea. However, it's also important to keep in mind that your feedback is more important the earlier you give it. There's no way in the future to say "Remember 6 months ago when you guys were doing X. Go back in time and stop doing that, this is horrible."

15. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

@Umbrae

Quote from your post: In the end, just being disappointed this game is closer to UO than you wanted is not the worst that could happen.

The trouble being that its not even anything like UO... its and instance fest. All recent MMO's have crafting, gathering and consensual PvP area's but they also have open world to explore like UO.
    So love or hate parts of UO, but no one would ever call the overland map and the involvement they had with it.

So its not like UO or an Ultima game, so what exactly is it supposed to be.
    You either make an MMO or SPRPG they do not combine into the same world and gaming environment, what will PvP combat balancing, player towns, housing, Grand master crafting and an MMO economy bring to a single player RPG.

Tarsilion likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

so in order of appearance.
    A better and tested combat system, remember all those single player games where one thing was better than the rest.
    Diversity to non main-quest related towns, in most single player games those are cookie cutter formula.
    Even in single player, having a house is very popular.
    Crafting and economy will bring diversity as long as you update from online. There will be updates and changes every time. So many single player games are static, but here you get a living backdrop as a freebie.

If they pull it off that is.

17. Zoucrew

Zoucrew Avatar

The WoW and Guildwars models are done, there is no more water at the bottom of those wells. Just look at Destiny, it's getting mediocre reviews because people are just completely bored with another rehash of the same thing, even in a nice pretty package. Even Elder Scrolls Online suffered the same fate.

And honestly, nobody is saying "Man, I wish this game was like WoW! That game was great, so many memories." I've never heard anyone say that. So if people can say that about the original UO, that should mean something to developers and apparently it does.

I really wish they could just make UO2 proper, but sadly it's impossible because EA holds the brand...and if anyone's played Sims 4 or SimCity 5....I bet you could figure out how well it would be made!

18. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Is not that the original idea? Old Ultimas (Rich RPG/History) + UO (Rich Multiplayer experience) = SOTA?

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually this doesn't fall under the part where he talked about "being closer to UO" this falls under the part when he said, " If you had faith to support a vision before it was fully realized just extend that faith a little further to the end product."

The fact is we all knew about the dual scale map and that's the game we backed from Kickstarter and beyond. So this is a null issue. The dual scale map was one of the major points they got across early on, and it is the only way they could build out this world cost effectively with the added advantage of being able to modify parts of the map without having a major release. Remember all that?

So nobody should be complaining now about a dual scale map at this point. Rather give your criticism of how the dual scale map could be more appealing to you, but the dual scale map will not be going away.

to me the dual scale map is what I backed and I want to see in the game. It made sense to me and I backed that game. Succeed or fail that's what I backed, and had confidence in.

20. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Why are people so against the Overland Map?

That potentially can make the game immensely bigger than any static map without the need for addons/expansions.

You can have secret/hidden scenes, continuously add more scenes so where ever you choose to leave the map you enter a different scene. As technology improves you can have bigger and bigger scenes etc. You can still do your exploring within the scene.

It seems like a really smart way to really add size to a game post launch whilst keeping down development costs

Snowdrift, Arianna, Spoon and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.